<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>return to index  

Honeysuckle (Lonicera sempervirens)

May 17 2017 at 7:46 PM
D_Kleiser  (Login D_Kleiser)
Hummingbird lover 2011

Our Honeysuckle are in full bloom, and our resident female Rubythroated Hummingbird is using them daily

Major Wheeler, two years old
Lonicera sempervirens Major Wheeler photo 2017 05 17 001.sm_zpsqweaduxk.jpg

My oldest L. sempervirens, no varietal name
photo 2017 05 17 004.sm_zpsxmfhprgs.jpg
Far west Chicago 'Burbs, Zone 5a
Click for Forecast for 60139 from weatherUSA

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Dan
(Login hawkeye_wx)
Hummingbird lover 2009

Re: Honeysuckle (Lonicera sempervirens)

May 17 2017, 9:54 PM 

Very nice... it's a nicer-looking plant than mine.
East-central Iowa
Zone 5a

Donald
(Login Ornithophilous)
Hummingbird Member 2006

May 18 2017, 12:02 AM 

Wow, your 'Major Wheeler' is the same age as mine but yours is off to a much better start! Last year the three I planted seemed to do well and bloomed a bit but they seem to be going backwards this year. I think there is something wrong with them and am very close to pulling them out and starting over.

Further back in the garden I planted out a row of Lonicera dioica that I grew out from locally collected seed. They seem to be doing much better than the 'Major Wheeler', but are still a few years away from attaining a large size:
IMG_1141
Donald
Zone 4 Red Wing MN
Find more about Weather in Red Wing, MN
Click for weather forecast

Ron
(Login RonDEZone7a)
Hummingbirder 2008

May 18 2017, 12:18 AM 

My Lonicera sempervirens continues to look fantastic this week! It had suffered from aphids in the past but the problem seems to have largely cleared up, on it's own, with no help from me (not saying there aren't some now but not enough to bother me). Hummers have been hitting this plant daily...

I got this plant at a sale at Bartram's Garden, a historic site in Philadelphia, several years ago. No cultivar was mentioned so it might just be the straight species. I probably fertilized it with something last year - wish I could remember what! No fertilizer this spring though.

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]
Wilmington, Delaware
USDA zone 7a
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 32
[linked image]

Donald
(Login Ornithophilous)
Hummingbird Member 2006

May 18 2017, 12:23 AM 

Ron, that is an awe-inspiring display! I hope the aphids are in the rear-view mirror now. Does your nameless Lonicera sempervirens rebloom well through the summer into fall like 'Major Wheeler' has a reputation for doing?

Donald
Zone 4 Red Wing MN
Find more about Weather in Red Wing, MN
Click for weather forecast

Ron
(Login RonDEZone7a)
Hummingbirder 2008

May 18 2017, 12:41 AM 

It does re-bloom in the latter part of summer - but I help it along in late July with some "bloom booster" fertilizer usually. Not sure if it is any cultivar - none was mentioned. There was a big wall of these blooming at Bartram's Garden where I bought it - maybe offspring of one of those?
Wilmington, Delaware
USDA zone 7a
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 32
[linked image]

Kathi and Michael Rock
(Login kathirock)
Hummingbird Member 2006

May 18 2017, 1:14 AM 

D. and Ron, beautiful honeysuckles. Ron, yours is nothing short of spectacular! Ours is just starting to bloom now. Don, that you for posting the photo of the Lonicera dioica---very interesting flowers.
Michael and Kathi Rock
Madison, WI
Zone 5

[linked image]

Ron
(Login RonDEZone7a)
Hummingbirder 2008

May 18 2017, 8:46 AM 

My sister, who passed away last summer, helped me build that trellis a few years ago. My honeysuckle looks so good and pest-free this year, it makes me wonder if I am getting some divine intervention from "the other side"!

My other theory is that the House Sparrows have learned to eat aphids (because they love hanging out on that vine)! Even Goldfinches are flying over there. Well, I'll take all the help I can get, with any sort of chemical-free pest management!
Wilmington, Delaware
USDA zone 7a
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 32
[linked image]

This message has been edited by RonDEZone7a on May 18, 2017 8:47 AM

Ward
(Login WardDas)
Hummingbird Moderator 2005

May 18 2017, 9:55 AM 

My problem with the House Sparrow theory is the darned things breed so fast, born pregnant. My theory is that some winters no aphid eggs survive for unknown reasons. My own plants usually get hit but not always. For years Magnifica was the not always plant, this year it is a couple of widely separated Alabama Crimson.

Burke
(Login Bayoulife10)
Hummingbird Lover 2014

May 18 2017, 10:58 AM 

If I could only have one hummingbird friendly plant/flower in my yard it would be Coral Honeysuckle. They love it.
Burke Baker
Santa Rosa Beach, FL
USDA zone 9A

[linked image]Click for Forecast for 32459 from weatherUSA.net

King Cupheaphea
(Login King_Cupheaphea)
Hummingbird Member 2005

Bugs love 'em too. :(

May 19 2017, 2:58 AM 

I have one surviving Lonicera Sempervirens Magnifica that I bought several years ago. There used to be 5 locations of it in my yard. 2 of those spots I replanted several times. I finally gave up on the ones I could see the best, and for what ever reason, one of the ones originally planted against the house is the only one to have survived.

It's had aphids in the past, but thankfully I finally figured out a few years ago that it is a small beetle that looks like a miniature Emerald Ash Borer that was burrowing little D-shaped holes in the plants that died. You couldn't see the damage as it was hidden beneath the flakey strips of bark. As I was pulling them down, I happened to notice the holes in a section of vine wood that I had stripped bare.

I've been treating the last remaining plant with Bonide, Bayer, and one other insecticide, once the plant starts to leaf out in the early spring, and so far it's been growing with decent improvement in overall size each year since I began pretreating the problem. This year it has already overtaken the two positions that I used to have the same T.Honeys in with great aplomb! It wasn't this big last year until the end of the season, and here it is that big again only 2 months in at best.

For all the times I tried to propagate my T.Honeys years and years ago without any success, it was a little bit of vine that got pulled off by the lawnmower handle last year (or was it two years ago...too tired tonight, anywho) that I just scraped the bottom 1" with my knife like you would a rose clipping and stuck it in the ground and said to it "There ya go. It's up to you if you want to live.". I guess it did. It's 1' tall this year and has put on a set of flowers! Go figure.

I'd like to move it to a better location (for me, maybe not for it), but it is hidden beneath two other plants that have rapidly overgrown it.

Good Luck keeping yours healthy! ~Nate.
~Nate. [linked image] The Mighty King Cupheaphea is in Zn 1/2" to the left of your second knuckle from the tip of your thumb on your right palm. wink.gif[linked image]

Penny
(Login Pennytoo)
Hummingbird Moderator 2005

May 19 2017, 8:02 AM 

My species honeysuckle is just now leafing back out after I cut at least 6 ft off of it. It had grown over my 8ft trellises and down to the ground on the other side of my fence into my neighbor's yard making it a problem for them mowing their yard. Cutting it back also got rid of the aphid damaged leaves that were just emerging. My major Wheeler looked terrific but is just starting to get flower buds and my gold flame is still leaving so I have no blooming honeysuckles yet.
Penny
N.Ton.,NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
North_Tonawanda.gif

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>return to index  
Search the Hummingbird Forum using Google search:
TinyPic image hosting site
TinyPic is a free picture hosting site (ad supported) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Tinypic link above; Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload Now; Copy the Direct Link for Layouts; Paste that code in your message.

Postimage hosting site
Postimage is a free picture hosting site (with some ads) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Postimage link above; Browse for your picture by clicking on Choose Image.; Select your image and Open; Highlight and Copy the Hotlink for website ; Paste that code in your message.

PLEASE VISIT OUR OTHER SITES:
Feathered Friends Helpful Tips The Bug Forum The Butterfly Forum The Brugmansia Forum

map_v2.png?u=h2sm&d=9lixPygMc1t0CHHPqCRs

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

The Hummingbird Forum was founded on September 15, 2005
Keeping hummingbirds alive in cold weather
web analytics