<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

New Twist on Cuphea---Cuphea ignea variegata

May 19 2017 at 1:52 AM

Kathi and Michael Rock  (Login kathirock)
Hummingbird Member 2006

When shopping at a local nursery tonight, we saw something new in cuphea---Cuphea ignea variegata:

http://www.deeproot.co.uk/pbo/plantdetail.php?plantname=Cuphea+ignea+6I927Variegata6I927

While variegated leaves don't mean anything to a hummingbird, it's nice to have something different just for a change and after years of gardening with the same old cuphea. I was not aware that variegated leaves on Cuphea even existed.

I do realize that Cuphea ignea has flower tubes that are often too slim and tight for a Ruby-throat's bill, but these flowers looked about the same as 'David Verity' or 'Vermillionaire', which is why I purchased this plant.

Additionally, we found many other good hummingbird plants including:

-Salvia guarantica 'Black and Bloom' and 'Black and Blue'
-Salvia amistad
-Salvia 'Wendy's Wish'
-Arctic Blaze Purple Salvia
-Ruellia elegans
-Cuphea 'Vermillionaire'
-Salvia greggii 'Radio Red'

[linked image]
Michael and Kathi Rock
Madison, WI
Zone 5

[linked image]

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
King Cupheaphea
(Login King_Cupheaphea)
Hummingbird Member 2005

Weird.

May 19 2017, 2:17 AM 

Hey Kathi! My Cupheas look like that when they're overwatered or are getting sunburned.

It's interesting that they're growing this in the UK where they have no hummingbirds.
~Nate. [linked image] The Mighty King Cupheaphea is in Zn 1/2" to the left of your second knuckle from the tip of your thumb on your right palm. wink.gif[linked image]

Indy Steve
(Login SteveWnindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

Re: New Twist on Cuphea---Cuphea ignea variegata

May 19 2017, 9:55 AM 

kathi

Nice selection of hummer plants at your nursery. You will let us know how this variety of cuphea , Im sure.
Steve
Martinsville In.
Zone 6

Find more about Weather in Martinsville, IN
Click for weather forecast

Joni
(Login Yodlei44)
Hummingbirder 2008

May 23 2017, 7:35 PM 

I love variegated plants but I've had many revert back in the past. Can't babysit them like I would like to. Think that is why I love Salvia splendens 'Dancing Flame' so much. Something about that bright red flower against that foliage. A local place used to carry Salvia greggii 'Desert Blaze' before & I can't find it locally anymore. Really miss that one!!

What garden center did you find that nice list of plants at? My Sister is planning on driving up north to Milagers soon since they have a tomato she has been looking for that isn't found locally this year. She also drives up there on & off to get Broccoli Cheese soup somewhere that she claims is worth the drive. I am especially interested in the Artic Salvia. I really wanted to try that one in ground.

I was going to try Chalet Nursery since their website lists Salvia greggii but doesn't give any more info. Think I will make a call to them & ask more questions.

Joni
Elwood, IL
Zone 5b
[linked image]

Joni
(Login Yodlei44)
Hummingbirder 2008

June 1 2017, 11:40 PM 

Bumping up waiting on Kathi's reply.

Joni
Elwood, IL
Zone 5b
[linked image]

Kathi and Michael Rock
(Login kathirock)
Hummingbird Member 2006

June 2 2017, 1:31 AM 

Joni,

I found these plants at The Bruce Company in Madison. This was before Mother's Day (they say they sell an awful lot on Mother's Day), so I'm not sure how much they would have left. Here is the link to this nursery:

https://www.brucecompany.com/

You could always call them to see what they had available before going.

I have a hummingbird gardening friend who lives in Milwaukee who was a little disappointed in Milager's this year and said they basically had the same plants as last year.

If The Bruce Company does not have Salvia Amistad and you'd like it, I saw it at America's Best Flowers:

http://www.americasbestflowers.com/

I hope this helps a little--please let me know if you have any questions. Have a safe trip!

Michael and Kathi Rock
Madison, WI
Zone 5

[linked image]

Penny
(Login Pennytoo)
Hummingbird Moderator 2005

June 3 2017, 4:44 PM 

Kathi,
That is quite an impressive plantlist you got. I was excited that I found Black and Blue, Cupheas vermillionaire and an unnamed Salvia greggiis. I found the unnamed Salvia greggiis today at Walmart of all places in a gallon container for$6 and change.
Penny
N.Ton.,NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
North_Tonawanda.gif

Joni
(Login Yodlei44)
Hummingbirder 2008

June 12 2017, 11:05 PM 

Kathi,

A belated thanks for the info but Sis ended up going to Milager's the next day after she mentioned she might. By the time I found out, it was too late for her to get me anything since she had already left that place & on to the next. She said there were too many greenhouses to go through them all. I WOULD HAVE! I'm surprised about that place since their website showed them having quite a few Hummer/Butterfly plants, especially Russelia equisetiformis 'St. Elmo's Fire'. They also showed having the varigated Butterfly Weed that I never heard of 'Monarch's Promise' which I would have bought. Wanted to try 'Mega Copa' Bacopa as a filler for some of my planters.

Other plants they show that I would have checked out:
Cuphea 'Fidel's Red' (never heard of it but can't tell if the "cigars" would be big enough but looks like it flowers well.
Cuphea 'Torpedo' (a larger batface type)
"White" Heliotrope (which I love the smell of & always had to mail order)
A few Lantanas that I never saw locally.
Phygelius 'Red Alert' (had that before & loved it & so did a female Hummer the year I had it)
Salpiglossis (since my seedlings died when trying this for the first time)
'Summer Jewel' series of Salvia (I can only get red locally & they have the other 3 colors)
Salvia patens 'Blue Angel'
Salvia patens 'Patio' series
Salvia greggii 'Desert Blaze' (really miss this one & no longer have it locally)
Salvia 'Mesa Azure'
Salvia sinaloensis (maybe?)

The Salvia I was interested in from your post was the "Artic" not 'Amistad'. I really wanted to try this one in the ground but hopefully I will find it next year as I have my hands full at the moment. Haven't had a chance to check out your links as I was trying to get as much done after the cold/wet & now the blast furnace. I will after posting.

Thanks again for your info!!

Joni
Elwood, IL
Zone 5b
[linked image]

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  
TinyPic image hosting site
TinyPic is a free picture hosting site (ad supported) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Tinypic link above; Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload Now; Copy the Direct Link for Layouts; Paste that code in your message.

Postimage hosting site
Postimage is a free picture hosting site (with some ads) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Postimage link above; Browse for your picture by clicking on Choose Image.; Select your image and Open; Highlight and Copy the Hotlink for website ; Paste that code in your message.

PLEASE VISIT OUR OTHER SITES:
Feathered Friends The Butterfly Forum The Brugmansia Forum

map_v2.png?u=h2sm&d=9lixPygMc1t0CHHPqCRs

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

The Hummingbird Forum was founded on September 15, 2005
Keeping hummingbirds alive in cold weather
web analytics