<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>return to index  
Indy Steve
(Login SteveWnindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

Re: Japanese Beetles

July 6 2017, 11:08 AM 

I too have been putting down milky spores this year, twice alrady this year and once more in the fall and then again next year in an effort to at least get their numbers down. Last year they were worse than this year so Im doing this for the future.
Steve
Martinsville In.
Zone 6

Find more about Weather in Martinsville, IN
Click for weather forecast

Indy Steve
(Login SteveWnindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

July 6 2017, 11:43 AM 

Another interesting side note on JB. My sister was saying that when the moles were active on her property that she didnt have beetles[she had a lot of moles]. This year for some reason the moles were gone but the japanese beetles were active. So you can have moles tearing up your yard or you can have beetles eating your plants. Thought you might find that interesting.
Steve
Martinsville In.
Zone 6

Kathi and Michael Rock
(Login kathirock)
Hummingbird Member 2006

July 7 2017, 1:39 AM 

Steve,

I guess it's always something in the garden, JB's, moles, aphids, etc.!! It just would be nice to have a balance---after all, it is nature and you wouldn't expect no critters at all---but just a few of each!
Michael and Kathi Rock
Madison, WI
Zone 5

[linked image]

Brett (KY)
(Login afvn71)
Hummingbird Lover 2014

July 7 2017, 12:54 PM 

Ron,
Why did you use the powder form of Milky Spore on your Canna bed instead of just sticking with the granular? Brett

Joni
(Login Yodlei44)
Hummingbirder 2008

July 7 2017, 7:04 PM 

Sis put down Milky Spore a few years ago but they just haven't been that bad for a few years. I've seen them flying around on & off lately & 1 evidently hitched a ride in on me since I found one in the house. I've had a few on some of my Coneflowers but not seeing damage. 1 flew out of my Cuphea ignea 'Dynamite' when I watered it but still didn't see damage. Fingers are crossed.

Joni
Elwood, IL
Zone 5b
[linked image]

Ilena Zone 5
(Login Cheddarchick)
Hummingbird Lover 2016

July 7 2017, 7:54 PM 

Well, they are everywhere on my Vermillionare. But I mixed up a batch of Ivory soapy water and it kills them in less than a minute. Of course there is no residual benefit SO I have spent the last 2 days squirting them...... Gosh I hate them.....
Ilena Zone 5 Elkhorn, WI

Click for Forecast for 53121 from weatherUSA

Joni
(Login Yodlei44)
Hummingbirder 2008

July 12 2017, 5:38 PM 

OK...they are getting a little thicker now. All over Cuphea ignea 'Dynamite' & are starting to attack Cuphea llavea. 'DV' & 'Vermillionaire' are still unscathed. Finding many on their backs & have been scooping them out & into the soap bucket, assuming they are stunned by the Geraniums instead of dead. Geraniums are also in all 3 deckboxes next to the Cupheas. Haven't been out in the yard in the past couple of days & assume they are all over my Black Chokeberry as they usually are. Haven't seen any on any of my potted plants (mostly Salvia, Lantana, Pentas & Agastache) but they were on Coneflowers in the garden but still don't see much damage on those. All in all, not too awful bad so far.

Didn't notice if Milky Spore has an expiration date or not but will have to check. A local garden center had it 1/2 price for the big box as they are going wholesale after this year & getting rid of their retail shop. Hope it is still there. Driving by tomorrow. Sis already has the applicator & she thought it made a big difference. Hard to believe when neighbors don't treat but she says she has only seen 1 or 2 so far & it was on Basil of all plants. They have never bothered my Basil.

Joni
Elwood, IL
Zone 5b
[linked image]

Kathi and Michael Rock
(Login kathirock)
Hummingbird Member 2006

July 13 2017, 1:05 AM 

We are certainly seeing many more Japanese Beetles this year than the last few seasons. I think a milder than normal winter combined with the super humidity we have right now are the reasons.

I leave the bucket out over night and our raccoon guests love the dead JB's as a crunchy snack (dish soap and all!)
Michael and Kathi Rock
Madison, WI
Zone 5

[linked image]

Indy Steve
(Login SteveWnindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

July 13 2017, 12:36 PM 

Illena

Im pretty sure milky spores has an indefinite shelf life. Yes anyone who has to do deal with JB feels the same way you feel about them. They can destroy a plant in not time flat. Last season at one point it was so bad that I personally stripped all foliage from my david verity and by the time they filled back out the beetles were done . Recently , the last couple of years Im seeing them on a wider variety of flowers and leaves that they passed by before. I too would dump the bucket of beetles in an area that birds could get them, also the same with hornworms found on my tomato plants.
Steve
Martinsville In.
Zone 6

Ward Dasey
(Login WardDas)
Hummingbird Moderator 2005

July 14 2017, 3:33 PM 

I wondered if it was Japanese Beetles chewing holes across of the canna leaves a couple of weeks ago and it appears I was wrong. Some sort of large June Bug types beetle infested the area for a couple of weeks and now that I am not seeing them there are also no more chewed leaves. When the rolls of fabric row cover was brought out of the barn back in late March dozens of these critters were hibernating in the folds. They didn't like the early wakeup and most seemed to die but apparently not all.

This message has been edited by WardDas on Jul 14, 2017 3:40 PM

Dan
(Login hawkeye_wx)
Hummingbird lover 2009

July 15 2017, 8:35 PM 

Beetles are getting thicker here. This afternoon I took the bucket around the garden and found 20+. I've discovered a new favorite plant of theirs... clematis 'sweet summer love'.
East-central Iowa
Zone 5a

Indy Steve
(Login SteveWnindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

July 15 2017, 9:30 PM 

It is odd how they will find new plants to go to when they passed them by previously. Their numbers seem to be reducing here, but I still see some, not near as many as last year.
Steve
Martinsville In.
Zone 6

Cathy P (Downers Grove, IL Zone 5b)
(Login Bazuhi)
Hummingbird Lover 2014

July 17 2017, 12:53 AM 

I go out twice a day and so far I am finding them on
Canna, hibiscus, Schumanni and verity. Just a few here
and there but I am spraying them to kill them.
Direct shot at the insect itself
I had one in my rain gauge that could not get out, it stayed
alive for 2 weeks floating in water, I had to dump it and spray
it!!

Cathy P
A Hummingbird Fan in Downers Grove, Illinois
Zone 5a
bazuhi@sbcglobal.net
See My Hummingbird Gardens and Plants
https://www.facebook.com/Cathy-Ps-Hummingbird-Gardens-885457968170727/photos_stream?tab=photos_albums

Find more about Weather in Downers Grove, IL

Kathi and Michael Rock
(Login kathirock)
Hummingbird Member 2006

July 17 2017, 3:11 AM 

Cathy,

You should be very careful with that poisonous spray around hummingbirds and butterflies, not to speak of you and your dogs.

We are collecting 30-50 beetles in our bucket every day---mostly Cuphea and Hibiscus. The birds and raccoons get them later.
Michael and Kathi Rock
Madison, WI
Zone 5

[linked image]

Cathy P (Downers Grove, IL Zone 5b)
(Login Bazuhi)
Hummingbird Lover 2014

July 17 2017, 10:37 PM 

Oh I am very caareful its sprayed on the insect
and on the Canna leaves so nothing else gets hit
On other plants I am also careful
Cathy P
A Hummingbird Fan in Downers Grove, Illinois
Zone 5a
bazuhi@sbcglobal.net
See My Hummingbird Gardens and Plants
https://www.facebook.com/Cathy-Ps-Hummingbird-Gardens-885457968170727/photos_stream?tab=photos_albums

Find more about Weather in Downers Grove, IL

Kathi and Michael Rock
(Login kathirock)
Hummingbird Member 2006

July 18 2017, 1:44 AM 

Good to hear Cathy!
Michael and Kathi Rock
Madison, WI
Zone 5

[linked image]

D_Kleiser
(Login D_Kleiser)
Hummingbird lover 2011

July 18 2017, 7:17 PM 

They've arrived in numbers here. They've damaged Petunia blooms, Rose of Sharon blooms, Rose blooms, etc. I've sprayed the roses with Sevin. Tried Diazinon in the past but they just laugh at it. My small pump sprayer allows limited application. Without it, there would be no more whole Rose blooms 'til the end of JB season. We hand pick too, but it's not enough.
Far west Chicago 'Burbs, Zone 5a
Click for Forecast for 60139 from weatherUSA

Indy Steve
(Login SteveWnindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

July 18 2017, 9:42 PM 

Yes for those of us who have to deal with JB in big numbers its not much fun. For me I hang with the soap bucket method , but there are years where the numbers make it a losing battle and then I usually just cut off flowers and leaves until they are gone for the year, a real shame when that happens. I remember one year I got so disgusted I ripped up a whole cuphea schumannii plant out of the ground they had so destroyed it.
Steve
Martinsville In.
Zone 6

Joni
(Login Yodlei44)
Hummingbirder 2008

July 20 2017, 7:27 PM 

I only use the soap bucket as well. Sevin & Diazinon are very toxic. Only used Sevin 1 time 20 years ago when I found a bunch of tent caterpillars on my Crabapple. Took it to Household Hazardous Waste collection.

I did find out where most of them were hiding....on my Newport Plum tree. Was watering way away from house & was buzzed by a couple but couldn't find out where they were coming from. Squirted the tree & they flew out in droves. They have been on it in the past but most were found on my Redmond Linden which fell over a couple of years ago. Must have been their 2nd choice.

Still nothing on 'David Verity' or 'Vermillionaire' but they have been on ignea & llavea.

Joni
Elwood, IL
Zone 5b
[linked image]

jp
(Login nalono1)
Hummingbird Member 2005

July 24 2017, 3:06 PM 

They are really bad in KS this year. It seems like I am picking off about 100 per day.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>return to index  
Search the Hummingbird Forum using Google search:
TinyPic image hosting site
TinyPic is a free picture hosting site (ad supported) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Tinypic link above; Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload Now; Copy the Direct Link for Layouts; Paste that code in your message.

Postimage hosting site
Postimage is a free picture hosting site (with some ads) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Postimage link above; Browse for your picture by clicking on Choose Image.; Select your image and Open; Highlight and Copy the Hotlink for website ; Paste that code in your message.

PLEASE VISIT OUR OTHER SITES:
Feathered Friends Helpful Tips The Bug Forum The Butterfly Forum The Brugmansia Forum

map_v2.png?u=h2sm&d=9lixPygMc1t0CHHPqCRs

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

The Hummingbird Forum was founded on September 15, 2005
Keeping hummingbirds alive in cold weather
web analytics