<< Previous Topicreturn to index  
Indy Steve
(Login SteveWnindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

Re: Japanese Beetles

July 24 2017, 3:43 PM 

jp

Yes that is bad sounds about like what I had last year, no fun trying to grow beautiful plants and have these guys destroy them.
Steve
Martinsville In.
Zone 6

Find more about Weather in Martinsville, IN
Click for weather forecast

Dan
(Login hawkeye_wx)
Hummingbird lover 2009

July 24 2017, 3:44 PM 

I'm finding them all over my canna blooms. Their numbers should begin to wane as we enter August.
East-central Iowa
Zone 5a

Kathi and Michael Rock
(Login kathirock)
Hummingbird Member 2006

July 24 2017, 7:22 PM 

These pests are a bummer all the way around. The only thing I'm grateful for is that they are easy to pick off the plants and don't sting or bite.
Michael and Kathi Rock
Madison, WI
Zone 5

[linked image]

Ilena Zone 5
(Login Cheddarchick)
Hummingbird Lover 2016

July 25 2017, 8:18 PM 

I did mix up Nancy's Ivory soap mix. It does work...by killing them slowly....just the way I like them to die.....No residual benefits though. My cuphea are being eaten alive......
Ilena Zone 5 Elkhorn, WI

Click for Forecast for 53121 from weatherUSA

Dan
(Login hawkeye_wx)
Hummingbird lover 2009

August 3 2017, 10:34 PM 

Beetles are still hanging on here. Their taste has changed, though. I am no longer seeing a bunch of them on my canna blooms. Instead, they are now all over my salvia 'argentina skies' blooms. They really love them, and they shred them if not pulled off.
East-central Iowa
Zone 5a

Indy Steve
(Login SteveWnindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

August 3 2017, 11:24 PM 

Dan

I have to agree that the JB tastes seem to have changed this year as I have seen them on different plants than ever before. But it does appear they have disappeared from my location, guess its about time to put down another dose of milky spores . Im guessing their eggs have been laid and they will hatch and start eating in the ground.
Steve
Martinsville In.
Zone 6

Kathi and Michael Rock
(Login kathirock)
Hummingbird Member 2006

August 4 2017, 12:30 AM 

Our numbers of beetles are much higher this year than in the past several seasons. This week has been particularly bad. Right now they are loving Spotted Jewelweed and sometimes I find up to 20 beetles on one plant, even in the shade! Of course, Cuphea 'David Verity', Rose of Sharon, and hardy hibiscus are also big favorites. Dan, so far they have not yet discovered our Salvia 'Argentinia Skies.'
Michael and Kathi Rock
Madison, WI
Zone 5

[linked image]

Joni
(Login Yodlei44)
Hummingbirder 2008

August 8 2017, 11:42 AM 

Thought I was lucky to only find a few on Cuphea ignea & llavea. Ignea is completely shreaded & so much that I think they needed to find something else. Wasn't originally concerned since I just buy that as a nice filler. No Hummer use as cigars are too small. Only found on llavea a few times & they apparently didn't like that one as well as I found only a few holes on a few leaves. I had been checking 'Vermillionaire' & 'David Verity' & never found one. However, 'Vermillionaire' is now getting chomped on but only found 1 on 'DV' so far.

I'm with Kathi. Numbers are quite higher than in the past few years. I also forgot to check on that Milky Spore that was discounted at the Garden Center down the road that is closing retail & going wholesale next year. Bet it's gone but I'm calling them to hold it right after I'm off of here if they still have it.

Joni
Elwood, IL
Zone 5b
[linked image]

Ilena
(Login Cheddarchick)
Hummingbird Lover 2016

August 9 2017, 5:52 AM 

So I have almost 2 acres...what would I treat with milky spores?
Ilena Zone 5 Elkhorn, WI

Click for Forecast for 53121 from weatherUSA

Indy Steve
(Login SteveWnindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

August 9 2017, 10:34 AM 

JB doesnt seem to bother any salvia plants, mainly cupheas, roses, geraniums. Luckily ths season they havent destroyed my schumannii as there were other things they could use and there werent as many as in the past . I have already put two doses of milky spores down and another one is due. I no longer am seeing any beetles which means they have gone elsewhere and in the ground. According to their life cycle the eggs hatch in about two weeks time and then they start eating whats there and I want milky spores to be part of their diet.
Steve
Martinsville In.
Zone 6

Kathi and Michael Rock
(Login kathirock)
Hummingbird Member 2006

August 9 2017, 12:01 PM 

We saw a dramatic decrease in numbers of these beetles after applying the Milky Spore (even though none of our neighbors applied it, which is what is recommended for maximum impact.) I doubt whether we would ever not have these beetles however, but who knows.

Elena, two acres is a lot of space to treat with the Milky Spore---ideally, you should treat all of your grassy areas since that's where they spend the winter as grubs.

For us, Cuphea (although they have left Cuphea schumannii and salvadorensis alone this season), jewelweed, and hibiscus/rose of Sharon are the biggest targets of these pests.
Michael and Kathi Rock
Madison, WI
Zone 5

[linked image]

Indy Steve
(Login SteveWnindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

August 9 2017, 12:30 PM 

Agreed 2 acres is a large area to cover. On my 20 lb bag says it will cover 7000 sq ft. But it suggests to put down 3 times a year for 2 years. Also do not broadcast , use drop spreader for MS.
Steve
Martinsville In.
Zone 6

Kathi and Michael Rock
(Login kathirock)
Hummingbird Member 2006

August 9 2017, 3:56 PM 

Really horrible day with the beetles today---I've knocked at least 100 beetles into the bucket so far and the day is not over yet. What is different this season is that they are also going for plants in the shade, which they have never done before---a Cuphea 'David Verity' in full shade was covered in beetles and Jewelweed has consistently been as well.
Michael and Kathi Rock
Madison, WI
Zone 5

[linked image]

Indy Steve
(Login SteveWnindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

August 9 2017, 4:21 PM 

Its terrible when its like that, thats what I had last year. On two different years , one I ripped out a schumannii I was so disgusted, another time I found myself removing all foliage from david verity. I guess you just do what you feel is needed at the time.
Steve
Martinsville In.
Zone 6

Joni
(Login Yodlei44)
Hummingbirder 2008

August 9 2017, 10:22 PM 

Still didn't make it to my Garden Center but will tomorrow since it is supposed to rain & will do my running.

Didn't see as many today, especially on the 'Vermillionaire' which was bothered the most a couple of days ago. Probably on the decline now.

Sis applied the powder version only 1 time a few years back & she swore by it but then again if numbers were down, does one really know?

Thought I heard the granular form needs to be applied a few more times than the powder which can be tedious as you have to polka dot your area thoroughly. She already has the applicator & what I saw was the big box of powder. I'm grabbing it if it is still there.

Joni
Elwood, IL
Zone 5b
[linked image]

This message has been edited by Yodlei44 on Aug 13, 2017 6:28 PM

Dan
(Login hawkeye_wx)
Hummingbird lover 2009

August 10 2017, 1:22 PM 

Our beetle season appears to be done. A week ago they were all over my argentina skies blooms. The last few days I've seen none.
East-central Iowa
Zone 5a

Kathi and Michael Rock
(Login kathirock)
Hummingbird Member 2006

August 10 2017, 1:24 PM 

I saw this on a neighborhood message board. I have never heard of this approach before---has anyone else?

"have heard that many friends have had a problem controlling the beetle. An article on the Internet suggested that soaking cedar wood in water and spraying the water on the plants would work.
So, cut a cedar fence board (non treated and available for $1.55 at Home Depot) into 18 inch pieces and soaked them in water for 2 days. Sprayed the water on the infested garden plants for 3 days and guess what. 95% effective. hardly any beetles."

Here is a link from the internet:

http://www.finegardening.com/make-your-own-natural-spray-japanese-beetles
Michael and Kathi Rock
Madison, WI
Zone 5

[linked image]

Indy Steve
(Login SteveWnindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

August 10 2017, 2:06 PM 

Heres another thought, the beetles do not bother any of my salvia plants,, why? Is it because of the minty foliage, possible Idea?
Steve
Martinsville In.
Zone 6

Priya
(Login Priya_S)
Hummingbird Member 2006

August 10 2017, 9:48 PM 

I used to have the worst infestations of Japanese beetles on my roses until I put up birdfeeders about 7 years ago. Ever since I see barely a handful of beetles each year. The birdfeeder is busy from sunrise to sunset and I am convinced that the birds eat up the grubs if not the beetles themselves. I have not done anything else like milky spore.

Priya
Zone 7, Maryland

Kathi and Michael Rock
(Login kathirock)
Hummingbird Member 2006

August 11 2017, 1:16 AM 

Priya,that is a strategy I have never thought of. Some years we have filled up our seed feeders in the summer (we focus more on seed-eating birds in the winter actually) and they sadly go unused and the seed becomes spoiled because the birds find so much natural food available. I suppose that birds that eat insects in the lawn like Robins would definitely eat Japanese Beetle grubs, but other birds might not care about them. I'm so glad that this strategy worked for you.

Steve, I agree, salvias are usually not selected by Japanese Beetles (however, I have found many JB's on Monarda, which is also in the mint family)and on certain salvias (Japanese Beetles love salvias in the coccinea group). As was discussed earlier, Japanese Beetles are also repelled by geraniums. I would use caution when spraying essential oils on plants. While they are natural, some plants might not react well to certain essential oils and you may also be killing "good bugs" as well (therefore disrupting the balance of good and bad bugs.) As much as I love natural, it's not always necessarily safer. From what I've found, Cedarwood oil is pretty safe and you would only spray it on the most affected plants and not on everything. You might find the following link to be interesting:

http://www.thehippyhomemaker.com/using-essential-oils-home-garden-kill-pests-diy-bugs-b-gone-home-garden-spray/

For now, I intend to keep on knocking Japanese Beetles into a bucket of soapy water.
Michael and Kathi Rock
Madison, WI
Zone 5

[linked image]

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topicreturn to index  
Search the Hummingbird Forum using Google search:
TinyPic image hosting site
TinyPic is a free picture hosting site (ad supported) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Tinypic link above; Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload Now; Copy the Direct Link for Layouts; Paste that code in your message.

Postimage hosting site
Postimage is a free picture hosting site (with some ads) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Postimage link above; Browse for your picture by clicking on Choose Image.; Select your image and Open; Highlight and Copy the Hotlink for website ; Paste that code in your message.

PLEASE VISIT OUR OTHER SITES:
Feathered Friends Helpful Tips The Bug Forum The Butterfly Forum The Brugmansia Forum

map_v2.png?u=h2sm&d=9lixPygMc1t0CHHPqCRs

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

The Hummingbird Forum was founded on September 15, 2005
Keeping hummingbirds alive in cold weather
web analytics