<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  
Indy Steve
(Login SteveWnindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

Re: Japanese Beetles

August 11 2017, 9:09 AM 

Concerning milky spores there is also a powder version which is applied with an applicator every 4'. Ive never used that , never seen it in stores . Ive read that you only apply it once, could be an option for some people.
Steve
Martinsville In.
Zone 6

Find more about Weather in Martinsville, IN
Click for weather forecast

Kathi and Michael Rock
(Login kathirock)
Hummingbird Member 2006

August 11 2017, 1:00 PM 

Steve,

That's the one we used and we had to order it online. We need to reapply it again as it needs to be done every 10 years.
Michael and Kathi Rock
Madison, WI
Zone 5

[linked image]

Joni
(Login Yodlei44)
Hummingbirder 2008

August 13 2017, 6:43 PM 

Kathi,
Interesting article. However, I'm with you on still not using this per one of the comments below the article .."I tried your suggestion, and I regret it. The cedar oil discolored the leaves of my tree, made the young branches wilt and the leaves are turning brown (I just hosed them down to help get rid of some of the cedar oil). It didn't repel the beetles at all either. My poor trees, I hope they recover. Those Japanese Beetles are a real pain in the butt. They are defoliating all of my deciduous trees".

I don't have roses or my Redmond Linden anymore (2 of their favs) so I will continue with the bucket trick. The did totally shred my Cuphea ignea so no harm to most of my Hummer plants. 'Vermillionaire' was attacked good only for a couple of days recently but it is still in good condition & didn't see any on it for the past 3 days.

They started with my Plum tree which was covered & also saw a few on my Black Chokeberry, which always is a medium attractant. Didn't see them on my Quince which was used quite heavily in the past.

BTW, I didn't know Salvia was in the mint family. Smells like it should be in the skunk family ha ha. Never saw a JB on my Monarda or Catmint for that matter.

Joni
Elwood, IL
Zone 5b
[linked image]

Indy Steve
(Login SteveWnindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

August 18 2017, 11:41 AM 

Not completely gone as I mentioned previously, two days in a row now Ive seen one on my knockout rose. This year they are loving my roses cant seem to keep any roses as JB finds them.
Steve
Martinsville In.
Zone 6

Kathi and Michael Rock
(Login kathirock)
Hummingbird Member 2006

August 18 2017, 1:46 PM 

We are still seeing quite a few here---at least 50 a day, mostly on Cuphea and Hibiscus.
Michael and Kathi Rock
Madison, WI
Zone 5

[linked image]

Dan
(Login hawkeye_wx)
Hummingbird lover 2009

August 18 2017, 3:32 PM 

Wow, Kathi, it's nuts that you are still seeing that many beetles. My season ended over a week ago.
East-central Iowa
Zone 5a

Indy Steve
(Login SteveWnindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

August 18 2017, 3:38 PM 

That is a lot per day for sure. Last year I had them late in season, lots of them. At least this year not as many. Sounds like you need some milky spores.
Steve
Martinsville In.
Zone 6

Cathy P (Downers Grove, IL Zone 5b)
(Login Bazuhi)
Hummingbird Lover 2014

August 19 2017, 12:33 PM 

I have seen a few but none on my hummer plants
I have a weed down my driveway I went to look up
an they say JB love it so maybe they went over there.
I use to have tons of fever few and low JB counts
but I have eliminated most of the plant so maybe next year
I will allow more too grow not sure if it had an affect
Cathy P
A Hummingbird Fan in Downers Grove, Illinois
Zone 5a
bazuhi@sbcglobal.net
See My Hummingbird Gardens and Plants
https://www.facebook.com/Cathy-Ps-Hummingbird-Gardens-885457968170727/photos_stream?tab=photos_albums

Find more about Weather in Downers Grove, IL

Indy Steve
(Login SteveWnindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

August 30 2017, 1:14 PM 

You can call weird or off beat, but I have this pet spider in my tomato garden, at least thats what I call it. Anyway Im still finding an occasional JB on my roses and when I do I take it around throw into the web of my golden garden/orb spider. In a flash the spider is on JB wrapping in its death-webb. Thats showing a bit of my distaste for JB.
Steve
Martinsville In.
Zone 6

< Previous Page 1 2 3 4 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  
TinyPic image hosting site
TinyPic is a free picture hosting site (ad supported) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Tinypic link above; Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload Now; Copy the Direct Link for Layouts; Paste that code in your message.

Postimage hosting site
Postimage is a free picture hosting site (with some ads) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Postimage link above; Browse for your picture by clicking on Choose Image.; Select your image and Open; Highlight and Copy the Hotlink for website ; Paste that code in your message.

PLEASE VISIT OUR OTHER SITES:
Feathered Friends The Butterfly Forum The Brugmansia Forum

map_v2.png?u=h2sm&d=9lixPygMc1t0CHHPqCRs

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

The Hummingbird Forum was founded on September 15, 2005
Keeping hummingbirds alive in cold weather
web analytics