<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>return to index  

Japanese Beetles

June 14 2017 at 6:02 PM
Indy Steve  (Login SteveWnindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

I found one on my DV today and I hope the turnout isnt like last year.
Steve
Martinsville In.
Zone 6

Find more about Weather in Martinsville, IN
Click for weather forecast

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Astrid
(Login FlyingJewels)
Hummingbird Lover 2017

Re: Japanese Beetles

June 14 2017, 6:08 PM 

Oh boy! I am so sorry! When we lived in NC, they would go for the Cuphea llavea I had planted. I would hand-pick and squish them. How do you usually deal with it?

Indy Steve
(Login SteveWnindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

June 14 2017, 6:35 PM 

I usually plop them in a soapy bucket , but I have just ordered some light weight netting as last year they destroyed my david verity.
Steve
Martinsville In.
Zone 6

This message has been edited by SteveWnindy on Jun 14, 2017 7:53 PM

D_Kleiser
(Login D_Kleiser)
Hummingbird lover 2011

June 14 2017, 6:40 PM 

None here yet. I've planted Four O'Clocks as bait, but those seedlings are coming along very slowly.
Far west Chicago 'Burbs, Zone 5a
Click for Forecast for 60139 from weatherUSA

Joni
(Login Yodlei44)
Hummingbirder 2008

June 15 2017, 11:57 AM 

I thought 4 o'clocks repelled them, not lured them. I bought 2 this year & nothing to do with JB. Guess I'll find out. Guess I'm lucky since the past few years have not been bad.

BTW, white Geraniums kill them. Only white though. Had heard this & thought this can't be true but planted them with my Cuphea Sriracha Violet for a couple of years since JBs used to cover that plant & I would find them dead in the flower heads & also on top of the soil. I always buy these .59 cent geraniums in spring at Alsip to intermingle where I need color & started getting some white when I heard that.

Haven't see any yet.

Joni
Elwood, IL
Zone 5b
[linked image]

Indy Steve
(Login SteveWnindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

June 16 2017, 10:45 AM 

Speaking of Geraniums I have white and peach. As for JB they seem to go after mainly cuphea and roses here, last year they were a true pain as I had lots of them. I started putting down milky spores and will put another dose next month. JB doesnt seem to bother salvia but I have seen them on tomatoes on occasion.
Steve
Martinsville In.
Zone 6

Dan
(Login hawkeye_wx)
Hummingbird lover 2009

June 28 2017, 12:52 PM 

Our Japanese beetle problem disappeared with the severe drought five years ago. However, they appear to finally be coming back. In the last week I've already found over ten beetles, mostly on the cannas the last few days. I may have found ten beetles over the last four years combined.
East-central Iowa
Zone 5a

This message has been edited by hawkeye_wx on Jun 28, 2017 9:27 PM

Indy Steve
(Login SteveWnindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

June 28 2017, 6:42 PM 

I can pick off 10 a day and more if I wanna search hard enough, still not as bad as last year.
Steve
Martinsville In.
Zone 6

Tony
(Login rwingsfan)
Hummingbird Lover 2017

June 28 2017, 6:47 PM 

These guys and the rest of my flock keep the Japanese beetles at bay lol

D75 5027
Tony Castelline
Rural Des Moines Iowa
5B

Click for Forecast for 50313 from weatherUSA

This message has been edited by rwingsfan on Aug 5, 2017 6:14 PM

Joni
(Login Yodlei44)
Hummingbirder 2008

June 29 2017, 11:32 AM 

Found my first 2 Monday & Tues. They were on my 'Pow Wow Wildberry' Coneflower. Will check my Black Chokeberry after I'm done here. They always seem to gravitate to it first now that my 'Redmond' Linden is no longer here. Normally see most on weeds more than plants & Cuphea has been spared the last few years. Quince is another favorite. Gave up on my roses a few years ago & they loved them as well. Haven't had very many like in the past. Quite lucky I guess.

Joni
Elwood, IL
Zone 5b
[linked image]

Indy Steve
(Login SteveWnindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

June 30 2017, 10:22 AM 

Previously to last year I only had JB on cuphea plants, now I have them on geraniums, roses, and goldflame and not so much on cupheas which pleases me. Another dose of milky spores went out today just ahead of the rain we are supposed to get and if not I will need to water.
Steve
Martinsville In.
Zone 6

jp
(Login nalono1)
Hummingbird Member 2005

June 30 2017, 11:17 AM 

They are pretty thick here in Ks. I must have killed 15 this morning.

Indy Steve
(Login SteveWnindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

June 30 2017, 1:05 PM 

Recently found one in my pink pentas, they can hide pretty easy in those flower clusters.
Steve
Martinsville In.
Zone 6

Ilena Zone 5
(Login Cheddarchick)
Hummingbird Lover 2016

Uggg

July 3 2017, 3:13 PM 

Starting to find them...Makes me sad and mad. Does anybody use a spray?
Ilena Zone 5 Elkhorn, WI

Click for Forecast for 53121 from weatherUSA

Dan
(Login hawkeye_wx)
Hummingbird lover 2009

July 3 2017, 7:35 PM 

I think I used some kind of spray on the first cannas I ever grew, several years ago. The spray caused the leaves to burn, so that's the last time I tried that.

I think most people just pick/knock them off the plants and into a bucket of soapy water. I found five more today on my cannas, and off they went into the bucket. Checking the plants once or twice a day should keep damage to a minimum.
East-central Iowa
Zone 5a

Kathi and Michael Rock
(Login kathirock)
Hummingbird Member 2006

July 3 2017, 9:55 PM 

The only insecticidal spray that kills the beetles is extremely powerful and not really safe to use around wildlife (hummingbirds included), pets, children, etc. It's more effective to just pick them off.
Michael and Kathi Rock
Madison, WI
Zone 5

[linked image]

Indy Steve
(Login SteveWnindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

July 3 2017, 11:30 PM 

Its the soap bucket mainly for me, but I do try to add milky spores to the yard.
Steve
Martinsville In.
Zone 6

Cathy P (Downers Grove, IL Zone 5b)
(Login Bazuhi)
Hummingbird Lover 2014

July 5 2017, 3:54 PM 

I got them this year, more then last year Grrrrrr
and they are favoring my Canna and Hibiscus shrubs.
I was reading about them and they say the key is to kill the scouts
before they send out the signal of their find. They say
do not smash them cause the female emit a scent that attracts more,
They say Neem but there is no way I can cover all the plants so
I'm using something that kills on contact. They are on my
leaves so the spray will not affect anything else and I
hope they continue to favor the Canna
Sadly this year I pulled alot of my Feverfew which
is an excellent insect repellent. This is due to pyrethrin in feverfew, the only
chemical that can kill them.
I also do not have a ton of geraniums either..
I will have to look into Rue plant and I just might
have to try this.
Fruit Cocktail: You can buy Japanese beetle traps of all sorts, but most are no more effective than a can of fruit cocktail. Open the can and let it sit in the sun for a week to ferment. Then place it on top of bricks or wood blocks in a light-colored pail, and fill the pail with water to just below the top of the can. Place the pail about 25 feet from the plants you want to protect. The beetles will head for the sweet bait, fall into the water, and drown. If rain dilutes the bait, start over.

Prior to the beetleā€™s accidental introduction into the United States earlier in this century, the Japanese beetle was found only on the islands of Japan, isolated by water and kept in check by its natural enemies. In 1912, a law was passed that made it illegal to import plants rooted in soil. Unfortunately, the failure to implement the law immediately allowed the Japanese beetle to arrive in this country.
Most entomologists agree that the beetles entered the country as grubs in soil on Japanese iris roots. In 1916
Cathy P
A Hummingbird Fan in Downers Grove, Illinois
Zone 5a
bazuhi@sbcglobal.net
See My Hummingbird Gardens and Plants
https://www.facebook.com/Cathy-Ps-Hummingbird-Gardens-885457968170727/photos_stream?tab=photos_albums

Find more about Weather in Downers Grove, IL

Ron
(Login RonDEZone7a)
Hummingbirder 2008

July 6 2017, 9:56 AM 

I applied Milky Spore to my lawn and garden, per instructions (i.e. applied it 3 or 4 times a year for 3 years), and my Japanese Beetle (and grub) problem disappeared. I know it "doesn't makes sense" that they don't just fly in from elsewhere... but they don't seem to.

I conclude that either, Japanese Beetles tend o feed near their hatching site or Milky Spore acts as a deterrent. But, in any case, the beetle infestations disappeared after I started using Milky Spore.

I used the granulated form for my lawn and also threw some of the powder form in my canna bed.
Wilmington, Delaware
USDA zone 7a
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 32
[linked image]

Ward Dasey
(Login WardDas)
Hummingbird Moderator 2005

July 6 2017, 10:36 AM 

My next door neighbor put down milky spore 20+ years ago and since then Japanese Beetles have been scarce. The Cannas have some cross chewing that is probably them but most leaves are still clean.

Potato bugs on the tomatoes are a daily chore for me. No soapy water, the adults get impaled on the concrete wire cages and the grubs get squished in rolled up tomatoes leaves. The potato-leafed tomatoes types are great for that since the leaves get to be the size of my hand. Fifty to a hundred get squished a day and still they keep coming. Year of doing this have made me very hard hearted about potato bugs. For some reason quite a few lady beetles have been on the tomato plants. Could they be eating potato bug eggs. I have never caught them in the act and there are no aphids. Add it to the voluminous unsolved mystery list.

< Previous Page 1 2 3 4 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>return to index  
Search the Hummingbird Forum using Google search:
TinyPic image hosting site
TinyPic is a free picture hosting site (ad supported) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Tinypic link above; Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload Now; Copy the Direct Link for Layouts; Paste that code in your message.

Postimage hosting site
Postimage is a free picture hosting site (with some ads) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Postimage link above; Browse for your picture by clicking on Choose Image.; Select your image and Open; Highlight and Copy the Hotlink for website ; Paste that code in your message.

PLEASE VISIT OUR OTHER SITES:
Feathered Friends Helpful Tips The Bug Forum The Butterfly Forum The Brugmansia Forum

map_v2.png?u=h2sm&d=9lixPygMc1t0CHHPqCRs

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

The Hummingbird Forum was founded on September 15, 2005
Keeping hummingbirds alive in cold weather
web analytics