<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

WeeDs

June 14 2017 at 8:27 PM
Ken  (Login 5strings)
Hummingbirder 2010

We had a couple if days in the mid 90's this week. Weeds started taking a hold, so I hoed the garden when it was sunny and HOT. My favorite time to hoe as the weeds shrivel up immediately, even with a small rootball intact. A day later, yesterday, not a weed in sight, live or dead!

Yesterday I decided to give a long sprinkling to a few beds. Today, hundreds and hundreds of new tiny weeds, and a bunch of big ones too growing in the freshly hoed beds. Unbelievable! Not surprised, just getting tired of it all!

Ken
Central NJ
USDA Zone 6
:c)

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Cathy P (Downers Grove, IL Zone 5b)
(Login Bazuhi)
Hummingbird Lover 2014

Re: WeeDs

June 14 2017, 8:47 PM 

That's to funny...amazing isn't it?
Cathy P
A Hummingbird Fan in Downers Grove, Illinois
Zone 5a
bazuhi@sbcglobal.net
See My Hummingbird Gardens and Plants
https://www.facebook.com/Cathy-Ps-Hummingbird-Gardens-885457968170727/photos_stream?tab=photos_albums

Find more about Weather in Downers Grove, IL
Click for weather forecast

Ken
(Login 5strings)
Hummingbirder 2010

June 14 2017, 9:41 PM 

Welcome back Cathy!

Did the yellow cannas work out for you?

Ken
Central NJ
USDA Zone 6

Lisa
(Login birdgardner)
Hummingbird Member 2006

June 14 2017, 11:06 PM 

The weeds have been flourishing here, because I'm the one who shrivels and dies in the heat and sun.

The flower beds aren't so bad, because they've been weeded and mulched for years. The vegetable garden - I have never won the battle with grasses.

But the areas under the trees, where the birds perch! Wild cherry, dogwood, winged euonymus, cedar, holly, multiflora rose, blackberry and wineberry. The trees drop their own seeds: maple, pine, crab apple. The squirrels tote in oak and walnut. Oh, let us not forget the poison ivy, lurking among the seedlings and saplings.

The house would be surrounded by an impenetrable thicket if I let them be, so it's pluck, chop and spray, but there are hundreds of seedlings in just a small area. Five years ago there was no euonymus; now it's the most common.
Lisa
Central NJ/ z6b
Heat zone 5/6

Ward
(Login WardDas)
Hummingbird Moderator 2005

June 15 2017, 4:19 AM 

It is all so true. Yesterday on the way to work there was a pop up heavy shower about a mile from the park gardens. All 700 feet got hoed last Saturday because as Ken says you want to do it just ahead of a hot dry spell. Part of me wanted the rain to miss the garden and part knew it needed it.

Lisa my own yard has gotten out of hand for all the reasons you mention. It will take years to get it back if ever. I like gardening but not yard work.

Carol Trego
(Login Imcarol)
Hummingbird Lover 2017

Weeds

June 15 2017, 7:07 AM 

I refer to my gardens and yard as "rustic". A description for kind of wild. There are certain weeds, seedling trees and ground cover plants that will never go away no matter how hard I try. Some I planted, others appear on their own from bird droppings, etc. I recently bought a new hoe for weeding between rows of plants but so far it has not been used. I'm up early to work outside for as long as I can until it gets too hot for me. I can see progress and have to keep at it. Weeds grow fast and plants need attention with removing spent flowers going to seed, etc.

I'm also helping my sister once a week with weeding her gardens that are out of control because she has medical problems. She lives 50 miles from my house.

I've lived in the same house for 40 years, have gone through lots of plants, trees, and pulled tons of weeds. The strong plants survive, many come back every year and are like old friends. I could say the same thing about weeds, but they are not like old friends, they are thugs. Some days I consider moving, starting over with less to take care of and dream of a flat yard. The average person would not want to take care of a property like mine. It would probably scare them.

Carol Trego
New Cumberland, Pennsylvania USA
Zone 6B

Cathy P (Downers Grove, IL Zone 5b)
(Login Bazuhi)
Hummingbird Lover 2014

June 15 2017, 8:40 AM 

Hi Ken!!
Thanks, been so busy working in the yard, dealing with roof, counting birds
(yep new hobby) etc I haven't been able to hop on and I tell ya I miss it.
Yep all but 1 canna seed germinated and they are all planted in pots. I am
really excited to see how they do. Here is how they are doing if ya want to see
they are actually in a few pots but I only posted 1 photo since they all look the
same...
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1259281354121718.1073741927.885457968170727&type=1&l=9b7939f4b9
I am sad the ones I got from Canna (Unk) From a garden in Cochabamba, Bolivia A gift from John and Helena in 2016 on here on the hummingbird forum I loved did not overwinter indoors as bare root and I do not know why. I did collect seed and those are still kinda small and not sure if they will come true to plant yet.
This year its the Wood sorrel I seem to have a ton of and no idea where this many came from
and of course Poke weed, and nightshade are my worst offenders in my yard. I have a new huge garden down my driveway and it's the grass and everything else, hoping the Texas sage takes off it will block out everything else trying to grow. I may have to spray it for weeds come fall as it may be a losing battle
Cathy P
A Hummingbird Fan in Downers Grove, Illinois
Zone 5a
bazuhi@sbcglobal.net
See My Hummingbird Gardens and Plants
https://www.facebook.com/Cathy-Ps-Hummingbird-Gardens-885457968170727/photos_stream?tab=photos_albums

Find more about Weather in Downers Grove, IL
Click for weather forecast

Dan
(Login hawkeye_wx)
Hummingbird lover 2009

June 15 2017, 9:19 AM 

I have a lot more weeds this year than usual, mostly because the place I get mulch from doubled their price, so I only bought a fraction of the usual amount. The weeds have a much easier time growing with only light or no mulch. I've been trying to pull a few weeds here and there whenever I'm out there, so they don't get out of hand.
East-central Iowa
Zone 5a

Ward Dasey
(Login WardDas)

June 15 2017, 10:12 AM 

Good luck with Wood Sorrel. It has those damned little corms that stay in the ground even it is pulled. Pokeweed I have mixed feelings about. It is a number one berry plant for fall migrant birds like thrushes and some of the berry eating warblers but those same birds spread it around the garden. I know someone who used to grow a variegated version of it.

Joni
(Login Yodlei44)
Hummingbirder 2008

June 15 2017, 1:34 PM 

I have been avoiding this issue since I'm inundated with weeds since I removed several large trees very early last spring, especially Canada Thistle. All the extra sunlight helped the perennials but caused a weed explosion.

CANADA THISTLE: I finally am winning the fight after many years of pulling & pulling & pulling trying not to use Herbicides as much as possible. Found a websitehttps://www.greenshootsonline.com/ that has been a Godsend. No spraying & you add their biodegradible foaming agent & dye to your herbicide. Only need to use a very little dab about the size of a pea, 1 in the crown & another on a leaf. It's tedious but worth the effort. I still have quite a battle ahead since I've had CT for quite some time but I see great progress. This is why my planting is delayed since I started with 2 beds closer to the house to try it first in early April. When I saw the results, my patio & the Hummer portion of the garden was next. Only problem is I couldn't pull it & also couldn't mulch so now I have a ton of crabgrass & wood sorrel. It's kinda hard to see the impact in pictures & I should have taken them in better progression but here is the portion of the bed 4/16 when just starting to wake-up before the cold & rain set in:
[linked image]

Pix of area from my deck newly weeded 5/15 (to delay the weeds while I still pulled other areas):
[linked image]
& then again yesterday 6/14 (close up to show CT dying without harming the plants). Still have some easier to pull weeds to get at this weekend:
[linked image]

Although not throughout the whole bed, here is the crabgrass explosion that now resulted from the CT being killed off:
[linked image]

Wish I would have gotten a picture between 5/15 & before I treated with greenshoots. Couldn't hardly see any plants.

As for the bed off my patio (which also had an Ash removed due to EAB), this is a picture looking towards the house (note my white birdbath buried in there). Pix was from last year but looked the same or a little worse this year:
[linked image]

& I just finished mulching this end of last week (from my deck with birdbath in the same place):
[linked image]

I put cardboard in the middle since I plant to add another small tree in the fall. Ran out of rubber pavers to cover it. That way I can put up my inflatable pool & not poke a hole in it. Since plants are small & so far away, should look nice once they take off. I planted some shrubs along with Salvias 'Black & Blue', 'Windwalker Royal Red', greggii Rose Pink & a couple of Zinnias with the existing Agastache.

This was only a couple of areas but if I listed all of them, I would break the record for the longest reply.

Cathy, Greenshoots also works on Pokeweed & Nightshade which I am also battling.

Joni
Elwood, IL
Zone 5b
[linked image]

Ward Dasey
(Login WardDas)

June 16 2017, 9:15 AM 

Ken, Ron and I got roped into renovating and then planting a weed infested garden at the park when they came to help at the end of April. The garden was overrun with knotweed, nut sedge and the evil mugwort. After we cleaned out the bed, ripping up as much buried row fabric as we could we went ahead and planted. The only thing I could think to do was plant each plant a least a foot or so apart and only plants that wouldn't spread. Since then I have returned every week or so with the hoop hoe to cut down the masses of weeds that came up between the plants. It needs to be done yet again but at least there are fewer weeds than there were. There is no sense mulching the bed at this point since the kinds of weeds infesting the bed will simply push up through the mulch no matter how generously applied. I seriously doubt whether any other weed suppression method will ever work in this bed since the knotweed and mugwort will always just be waiting on the outside for a chance to move and they both move quick and far. Sometimes solutions are not perfect or should I say usually.

Ken
(Login 5strings)
Hummingbirder 2010

June 17 2017, 5:43 PM 

Knew I was not alone in my frustration. So happy that I found stirrup hoes last year. Certainly beats pulling them by hand.

Cathy, glad that you has success with the Cannas!!

Ken
Central NJ
USDA Zone 6

Kathi and Michael Rock
(Login kathirock)
Hummingbird Member 2006

June 18 2017, 1:24 AM 

Ward, that sounds like quite a daunting project at the park.

I'm always amazed by the tenacity of weeds in our yard, even in our heavy, moist soil---they just don't give up and I get so tired of pulling the same ones out over and over. It is an especially ambitious project right now before garden areas have filled in and up with the desirable, wanted plants.
Michael and Kathi Rock
Madison, WI
Zone 5

[linked image]

Joni
(Login Yodlei44)
Hummingbirder 2008

July 7 2017, 10:52 PM 

Here's an update of my past pix...the part with the crabgrass although angle is off a bit. What a different a couple of weeks makes. Just needs soakers placed & mulch installed tomorrow.
[linked image]

And here is what else I'm going to tackle tomorrow. Much cooler & very low humidity. Keeping my fingers crossed I wake up having a good day to start. I need to kick some major butt before the rain & high 80s to 90's come back...

[linked image]
[linked image]

Joni
Elwood, IL
Zone 5b
[linked image]

Ken
(Login 5strings)
Hummingbirder 2010

July 9 2017, 2:21 PM 

Looks GREAT Joni!!
Central NJ
USDA Zone 6

Joni
(Login Yodlei44)
Hummingbirder 2008

July 12 2017, 5:25 PM 

It's getting there....main Hummer garden was mostly mulched on Sun. but have a little left of the weeded section as I ran out of time & cardboard/newspaper. Didn't get very far weeding since it was so dry so hoop hoed the vege garden. This late in season, they really take hold. After the 1"+ we got the past couple of days after seeing no great rain in over 3 weeks, walked the yard yesterday & saw more Sow Thistle blooming or getting ready to. Gave a gentle tug on these 3-4' plants & they came out extremely easy. Today was to be the smoker so stayed in as it was also supposed to rain & looked like it & then did. Nice but still not enough but north of me got hammered with 5-7 inches. We are supposed to get our bigger batch later tonight & some tomorrow with temps Fri & Sat. more pleasant. Hoping to make great progress this time...fingers crossed.

Joni
Elwood, IL
Zone 5b
[linked image]

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
TinyPic image hosting site
TinyPic is a free picture hosting site (ad supported) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Tinypic link above; Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload Now; Copy the Direct Link for Layouts; Paste that code in your message.

Postimage hosting site
Postimage is a free picture hosting site (with some ads) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Postimage link above; Browse for your picture by clicking on Choose Image.; Select your image and Open; Highlight and Copy the Hotlink for website ; Paste that code in your message.

PLEASE VISIT OUR OTHER SITES:
Feathered Friends The Butterfly Forum The Brugmansia Forum

map_v2.png?u=h2sm&d=9lixPygMc1t0CHHPqCRs

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

The Hummingbird Forum was founded on September 15, 2005
Keeping hummingbirds alive in cold weather
web analytics