<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Who are these guys?

July 4 2017 at 11:38 AM
Indy Steve  (Login SteveWnindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

Definitely not hummers. Yes, they are american goldfinches.

YPyAE7c.jpg

iFtBk8V.jpg
Steve
Martinsville In.
Zone 6

Find more about Weather in Martinsville, IN
Click for weather forecast

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Rhonda
(Login rvird01)
Hummingbird Lover 2014

Who are these guys?

July 4 2017, 12:05 PM 

Cute silhouette pics Steve! I have never had goldfinches visit my hummer feeders, but Orioles and butterflies have more than a few times. Thanks for sharing.

Rhonda
Englewood, Florida 10a

Click for Forecast for 34224 from weatherUSA

Dan
(Login hawkeye_wx)
Hummingbird lover 2009

Re: Who are these guys?

July 4 2017, 12:54 PM 

When I first added an ant moat to my patio feeder, chickadees would drink from it, and then crap on the feeder. I've decided to not use moats unless ants show up, which hasn't happened the last couple years.
East-central Iowa
Zone 5a

Indy Steve
(Login SteveWnindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

July 4 2017, 1:32 PM 

They're baaaaaaack-- Since they insist on feeding from this I cleaned and filled it. There is a clean birdbath 10 feet away.

1qlV2A3.jpg

91XlEiY.jpg

GEP7nRc.jpg
Steve
Martinsville In.
Zone 6

Burke
(Login Bayoulife10)
Hummingbird Lover 2014

July 4 2017, 4:36 PM 

House Finches come to our feeders on occasion.
Burke Baker
Santa Rosa Beach, FL
USDA zone 9A

[linked image]Click for Forecast for 32459 from weatherUSA.net

Kathi and Michael Rock
(Login kathirock)
Hummingbird Member 2006

July 5 2017, 1:10 AM 

We see both Chickadees and finches use the ant moats and hummingbird feeders quite often in our yard. We jokingly refer to them as our "winter hummingbirds"!!
Michael and Kathi Rock
Madison, WI
Zone 5

[linked image]

Marilyn Gruber
(Login MarilynGruber)
Hummingbird Lover 2015

Who are these guys

July 5 2017, 4:36 PM 

Steve,

I call them the "Hooligan Gang". Big flocks in my yard, land on the flowers and rip them apart (I think they are eating the seeds but I have also seen them rip off lots of Black & Blue blossoms, Texas sage blossoms and zinnias. Next, unto the feeders, they love to pull apart my red ribbons and make use of the feeders. They greatly enjoyed the hummingbird nesting material as well. I feed them just the same, they are pretty and fun (have a pretty song too).

Marilyn
Marilyn Gruber
Wisconsin
Zone 5

Joni
(Login Yodlei44)
Hummingbirder 2008

July 7 2017, 7:31 PM 

My Goldfinches always drink from the ant guards. Haven't seen anything else try the feeders but the Orioles during spring migration.

Joni
Elwood, IL
Zone 5b
[linked image]

Indy Steve
(Login SteveWnindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

July 10 2017, 10:58 AM 

The finches are back today and drinking from the ant moat, lucky for them I just changed the water in those too.
Steve
Martinsville In.
Zone 6

Adrienne
(Login Adrieee)
Hummingbird Lover 2017

July 11 2017, 1:47 PM 

I love feeding Goldfinches. This is a shot of them right before they change into their breeding colors. I usually have the most visitors then, about 15 or so, taking turns on the feeder. The feeder can only hold 7 comfortably before they start squabbling.
Computer Hope

Joni
(Login Yodlei44)
Hummingbirder 2008

July 12 2017, 4:35 PM 

As with Hummers & their different tastes, my Goldfinches would never use that type of feeder, Adrienne. I have an upside tube feeder & they won't even go to that unless their "socks" are empty. I even bought a larger sock that had a vine design on it & they wouldn't use it either...only the plain little white ones. I have 5 out & normally see 5 or 6 birds per sock & they need to be filled about every 2-3 days, depending on the time of year. They eat, along with House Finches & an ocassional sparrow, year round.

Joni
Elwood, IL
Zone 5b
[linked image]

Adrienne
(Login Adrienneny)
Hummingbird Lover 2015

July 14 2017, 2:20 PM 

Joni, that is so true. A yellow upside down feeder (plastic) was my first feeder but they wouldn't bother with it here. I also tried those socks but they'd get moldy even when I kept them under umbrellas. Plus dozens of House sparrows would descend like locusts eat all the seed. This is a metal mesh feeder which makes it impossible for sparrows to feed. That's helpful because their population is out of control here. They have even populated the townhouses but they're so high up and it doesn't seem worth doing anything about it. If they were larger birds like Starlings, that might be a different story. Goldfinches are such a joy especially since we don't get many hummingbird visits.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
TinyPic image hosting site
TinyPic is a free picture hosting site (ad supported) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Tinypic link above; Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload Now; Copy the Direct Link for Layouts; Paste that code in your message.

Postimage hosting site
Postimage is a free picture hosting site (with some ads) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Postimage link above; Browse for your picture by clicking on Choose Image.; Select your image and Open; Highlight and Copy the Hotlink for website ; Paste that code in your message.

PLEASE VISIT OUR OTHER SITES:
Feathered Friends The Butterfly Forum The Brugmansia Forum

map_v2.png?u=h2sm&d=9lixPygMc1t0CHHPqCRs

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

The Hummingbird Forum was founded on September 15, 2005
Keeping hummingbirds alive in cold weather
web analytics