<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

OT: 2 B&B Salvias and 1 Beebalm meet at the edge of a pond

July 5 2017 at 7:40 AM
Alex  (Login Sweeper13)
Hummingbird Lover 2014

If this is off topic Mod can delete.

I had some Salvias sitting in a planter and Beebalm I rescued from my dying bed. I decided to get off my butt yesterday and do some pond work that I have been delaying for as long as possible. Plan on doing this to right side. Here are some pics.

Pond in 2009 before I knew about RTH. Plants where just random.Then my world changes.Fast forward to 2017. lol

[linked image]

Present Day

[linked image]

Robin in the middle was eating the worms as i was digging. No fear of me what so ever.

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

Alex
Northlake, Il.
Click for Forecast for 60164 from weatherUSA

This message has been edited by Sweeper13 on Jul 5, 2017 7:43 AM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Cathy P (Downers Grove, IL Zone 5b)
(Login Bazuhi)
Hummingbird Lover 2014

Re: OT: 2 B&B Salvias and 1 Beebalm meet at the edge of a pond

July 5 2017, 2:30 PM 

That is a nice pond ya got there.
Ps...someone brought me another color bee balm,
Kathy who is also on here and I now have an idea
how to dig up the tall balm.
Cathy P
A Hummingbird Fan in Downers Grove, Illinois
Zone 5a
bazuhi@sbcglobal.net
See My Hummingbird Gardens and Plants
https://www.facebook.com/Cathy-Ps-Hummingbird-Gardens-885457968170727/photos_stream?tab=photos_albums

Find more about Weather in Downers Grove, IL
Click for weather forecast

Joni
(Login Yodlei44)
Hummingbirder 2008

July 7 2017, 7:45 PM 

Not OT at all. Looks quite nice there!!! Can't wait to get back to my water feature. Will be soon as I just bought a 'Fiber Optics" Buttonbush that supposedly likes wet feet. Read Hummers & Butterflies also like it so that is a plus. 8' will give me some of my lost privacy while sitting on my patio until I get new trees in to help.

Joni
Elwood, IL
Zone 5b
[linked image]

This message has been edited by Yodlei44 on Jul 12, 2017 5:06 PM

Alex
(Login Sweeper13)
Hummingbird Lover 2014

July 10 2017, 3:26 PM 

Thanks all...

Joni....Had to read post a couple times , I thought you put Bluetooth. lol.. Thats an interesting flower.
Alex
Northlake, Il.
Click for Forecast for 60164 from weatherUSA

Kathi and Michael Rock
(Login kathirock)
Hummingbird Member 2006

July 10 2017, 3:34 PM 

Alex, really beautiful pond/landscaping and plantings!!

Joni, we have a Buttonbush and it loves our wet, fertile yard and I trim it back every year! If you want privacy, plant a couple of these fast growing shrubs and you will never be seen again!

Anyhow, it grows very fast and becomes huge. It is supposed to attract butterflies and hummingbirds, although we've never seen a hummingbird use it, but the flowers are really cool! A downside is tat Japanese Beetles also like the flowers.
Michael and Kathi Rock
Madison, WI
Zone 5

[linked image]

ward
(Login WardDas)
Hummingbird Moderator 2005

July 10 2017, 3:54 PM 

I am with Kathi, buttonbush is a great plant. It is in bloom here now along streams and in high sections of freshwater tidal marshes. It isn't a shrub for my dry yard but you can't have everything. The wetland shrub here in NJ that gives a really good bang for the buck is Clethra. Some folks find the scent too cloying but butterflies love it and hummingbirds will use it. It August bloom time is perfect for the peak numbers of butterflies and hummers. I am not sure whether hummers visit buttonbush. I have never had the leisure to observe a plant long enough to know.

Kathi and Michael Rock
(Login kathirock)
Hummingbird Member 2006

July 10 2017, 5:19 PM 

Ward,

I've tried Clethra several different times, thinking it would be great in our moist, rich soil, but it died each time. Disappointing as it's supposed to be a great shrub for wildlife.
Michael and Kathi Rock
Madison, WI
Zone 5

[linked image]

Joni
(Login Yodlei44)
Hummingbirder 2008

July 12 2017, 5:18 PM 

Kathi,
'Fiber Optic' was supposed to be a tad shorter than the species so that is why I got that one. My tubs/water feature is off of my patio & the sump also empties there so as long as it rains, it stays somewhat moist. I water when rain is scarce. My Cardinal Flower & Turtleheads are in that spot. Had a 'Black Lace' Elderberry there but don't think it liked being that wet as I lost it over the winter. Side street is right there so anyone walking or driving by can see right into my backyard & patio. Thought this 8' Buttonbush might be happy there & it is already about 3-4' tall so it would give me something quick. Flowers are very interesting which is more of the reason I bought it & the mention of BFlys & Hummers maybe being interested was a plus. The "nuts" the flowers change into are supposed to be tasty to other wildlife. Hopefully it might keep my squirrels out of the bird feeders...that would be another plus. Didn't sound like I could go wrong. I wanted the dwarf variety 'Sugar Shack' but they didn't have any so will have to find it somewhere else & plant 1 or 2 along with 'Fiber Optic'. Haven't seen JB on it (yet). Too much Cuphea for them, I guess.

I've also had problems keeping Clethra alive but am trying again. Just got another with my "July bucks" & forgot if I got the red or the white variety as I went back & forth between them for about 15-20 minutes. I was undecided. Going to try it in a different spot this time. That has worked before with other plants.

Joni
Elwood, IL
Zone 5b
[linked image]

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
TinyPic image hosting site
TinyPic is a free picture hosting site (ad supported) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Tinypic link above; Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload Now; Copy the Direct Link for Layouts; Paste that code in your message.

Postimage hosting site
Postimage is a free picture hosting site (with some ads) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Postimage link above; Browse for your picture by clicking on Choose Image.; Select your image and Open; Highlight and Copy the Hotlink for website ; Paste that code in your message.

PLEASE VISIT OUR OTHER SITES:
Feathered Friends The Butterfly Forum The Brugmansia Forum

map_v2.png?u=h2sm&d=9lixPygMc1t0CHHPqCRs

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

The Hummingbird Forum was founded on September 15, 2005
Keeping hummingbirds alive in cold weather
web analytics