<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>return to index  
Indy Steve
(Login SteveWnindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

Re: Favorite Hoes...

July 25 2017, 2:07 PM 

I cleared out my main garden today which is about 12x25' section with plants close together. I removed most of the debris and shall now wait to see what I missed or what comes back. Does what it is meant for if you dont mind the work.
Steve
Martinsville In.
Zone 6

Find more about Weather in Martinsville, IN
Click for weather forecast

Mark
(Login SpaceMan013)
Hummingbird lover 2013

Re

July 25 2017, 2:24 PM 

LOL, Ward. THE NERVE of some peoples tools!
I don't think I could live without my Stirrup (action, scuffle, box, loop, hula) hoe.
I like to sharpen mine every spring...gotta watch them toes!
Mark [linked image]
Zone 7a
"The Shire" aka Shiremanstown, PA
-------------------------------------------
Nature loves courage. You make the commitment and nature will respond to that commitment by removing impossible obstacles. Dream the impossible dream and the world will not grind you under, it will lift you up. This is what all these teachers and philosophers who really counted, who really touched the alchemical gold, this is what they understood.
This is the shamanic dance in the waterfall. This is how magic is done. By hurling yourself into the abyss and discovering its a feather bed.
-Terence McKenna

Find more about Weather in Mechanicsburg, PA

Ken
(Login 5strings)
Hummingbirder 2010

July 25 2017, 3:39 PM 

Was it more work using the hoe, or picking up the weeds?

Best time to hoe is before the weeds get big. Actually the best time to hoe is just before you see the weeds. Either way, you can leave the weeds right where they fall if you do it before they get big. If you do the above not only will it be easier, but it will be much quicker than it took today.

Ken
Central NJ
USDA Zone 6
:c)

Ward Dasey
(Login WardDas)
Hummingbird Moderator 2005

July 25 2017, 4:14 PM 

What you say about getting after weeds while they are still young is sure true.
Here is something else that seems to be true. It gets harder to stay motivated as the season progresses into August and September. Maybe it is the heat maybe it is a lack of good character or poor parenting, but whatever it is it is hard to overcome. Just thinking about it makes me want to sit down.

Indy Steve
(Login SteveWnindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

July 25 2017, 4:46 PM 

For sure todays work was the tough one having not cleared out the weeds before. Anything I do from now on this season will just be fine tuning. All the scrap went around to my compost pile. Seems I have continuous compost pile going. The garden leavings gets recycled over and over again once the season is over.
Steve
Martinsville In.
Zone 6

Indy Steve
(Login SteveWnindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

July 31 2017, 2:05 PM 

Previously I had always just cut the weeds close to the ground with weed whacker, now that I have went thru my garden with my stirrup hoe the big job done I can look back on it and see the plants are still clear . If I see an occasional blade of weed/grass I just bring out the stirrup again and knock it out no problem. IM sure my plants are thanking me for it. It was well worth the effort.
Steve
Martinsville In.
Zone 6

Indy Steve
(Login SteveWnindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

August 9 2017, 12:22 PM 

Here to re-affirm my feelings on the stirrup hoe, excellent tool for my flower garden, once you get the weeds down they stay down for the most part. Being able to get between and close to plants without harming the plants is another plus. I ordered mine thru walmart , used store pickup saved shipping. Total with taxes $16.76 May be the best money Ive spent garden wise in a long time, possibly ever.
Steve
Martinsville In.
Zone 6

Ken
(Login 5strings)
Hummingbirder 2010

August 9 2017, 9:33 PM 

Hi Steve,

Glad that you like the stirrup hoe so much! I am always hesitant to recommend anything that parts someone from their money.

My gardens never looked so good!

Just be aware that you will have to hoe more often at the beginning of next season than you are now. Once a week with a quick run through is all I need this time of year to keep the beds at bare dirt!

Spring time and earlier summer it does need more attention. Keeping ahead of new growth is better than letting them get big.

Ken
Central NJ
USDA Zone 6
:c)

Joni
(Login Yodlei44)
Hummingbirder 2008

August 9 2017, 10:03 PM 

I located mine & brought it back out from retirement a few weeks back. If not covered & mulched, my weeds are back in a couple of weeks. I'm again losing my battle & am very frustrated although it does help on tiny weeds. Hate to admit it but an acre might end up being too much to take care of. Might have to end up with more grass & make my beds smaller. Thought I would be further along than this now that I finally found something to finally get rid of my Canada thistle. I like to weed but this 8 hours a day is getting old. If it poured every 3-4 days, it would help. 1-2" sounds like a lot but then 4-5 days later, ground still has cracks & hard as cement.

Joni
Elwood, IL
Zone 5b
[linked image]

Indy Steve
(Login SteveWnindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

August 10 2017, 11:20 AM 

I wanted mine for my main flower garden and it was worth the effort and price for that . The first time was rough but since then its easy to just knock out a new weed or two. Like ken said I will need to get on it early next spring. Last winter I didnt cover the garden this year I plan to which helps keep the weed down early on.
Steve
Martinsville In.
Zone 6

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>return to index  
Search the Hummingbird Forum using Google search:
TinyPic image hosting site
TinyPic is a free picture hosting site (ad supported) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Tinypic link above; Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload Now; Copy the Direct Link for Layouts; Paste that code in your message.

Postimage hosting site
Postimage is a free picture hosting site (with some ads) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Postimage link above; Browse for your picture by clicking on Choose Image.; Select your image and Open; Highlight and Copy the Hotlink for website ; Paste that code in your message.

PLEASE VISIT OUR OTHER SITES:
Feathered Friends Helpful Tips The Bug Forum The Butterfly Forum The Brugmansia Forum

map_v2.png?u=h2sm&d=9lixPygMc1t0CHHPqCRs

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

The Hummingbird Forum was founded on September 15, 2005
Keeping hummingbirds alive in cold weather
web analytics