<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Mid summer changeover

July 10 2017 at 4:06 PM
ward  (Login WardDas)
Hummingbird Moderator 2005

It would be hard not to notice the behavioral changes out in the garden. Where once females slipped in quietly to feed and daily but not constantly a male would show, visiting the garden part of whatever route he followed day to day. Starting a few weeks ago birds started perching in trees next to the garden or on tomatoes cages. Now it is battle royal coming in pulses. There are probably females in mid 2nd nesting that slip in to visit like they did in May and June but how can you tell given the overall madness. This is fun season in the hummingbird garden. The children out in force.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Kathi and Michael Rock
(Login kathirock)
Hummingbird Member 2006

Re: Mid summer changeover

July 10 2017, 5:21 PM 

Ward,

Your garden sounds like fun. We are definitely way behind you---our garden in Wisconsin is still quiet, with just a few sightings at dusk.
Michael and Kathi Rock
Madison, WI
Zone 5

[linked image]

Dan
(Login hawkeye_wx)
Hummingbird lover 2009

July 11 2017, 9:56 AM 

I'm in the same boat as Kathi. My activity has been unchanged for weeks after peaking a month ago. During the day it is very quiet. Just before dark a few hummers show up to feed, with a bit of chasing on occasion, but not much. As always, activity won't move up to the next level until the youngsters arrive later in July.
East-central Iowa
Zone 5a

Joni
(Login Yodlei44)
Hummingbirder 2008

July 12 2017, 4:58 PM 

I've noticed more feeder & flower visits with some appearing very svelt so I imagine they might be young 'uns. Resident Male has been perching more than flying off after a drink & is still harassing the females (more U dances observed in the past few days).

The first couple of weeks in July have the best show of blooms as far as perennials go & not necessarily Hummer plants. Phlox, Coneflowers, Rudbeckies are out in force. Shastas are waning a big. Buddleias seem to be behind but many are budding. Not sure if lack of water but I sense fall is in the air & might be early. I hope not. Yellowing leaves are falling & Salvias greggii & microphylla are producing seed earlier than I have noticed in the past. Seems like summer should just be taking off even though I know we are on the waning side.

Joni
Elwood, IL
Zone 5b
[linked image]

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
TinyPic image hosting site
TinyPic is a free picture hosting site (ad supported) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Tinypic link above; Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload Now; Copy the Direct Link for Layouts; Paste that code in your message.

Postimage hosting site
Postimage is a free picture hosting site (with some ads) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Postimage link above; Browse for your picture by clicking on Choose Image.; Select your image and Open; Highlight and Copy the Hotlink for website ; Paste that code in your message.

PLEASE VISIT OUR OTHER SITES:
Feathered Friends The Butterfly Forum The Brugmansia Forum

map_v2.png?u=h2sm&d=9lixPygMc1t0CHHPqCRs

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

The Hummingbird Forum was founded on September 15, 2005
Keeping hummingbirds alive in cold weather
web analytics