<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Mid July in MA

July 13 2017 at 10:42 AM

Joe M.  (Login flhummer)
Hummingbirder 2012

Now that we have 5 feeders up after 7 days here it seems the number of hummers are gradually increasing every day.
So far the activity is similar to previous summers and increasing as in previous years. The majority of the hummers thus far have been adults with a few immature birds. More adult males (more than last year) probably a dozen or so, double that number of adult females and virtually all with nest markings. I surmise that many of the females are still tending to birds in the nest and fledging is around the corner.

Expecting more rain today and tomorrow so feeder usage will be brisk. The last 4 days we have settled into consistent
solution usage, 1 pt. then next day 1 qt. In past years after the 2nd week year we normally see a qt. a day with a peak in late Jul. early Aug. for a week or so of 2-3 qts. a day and 6-7 feeders up.
Cheers and happy humming birding,
Joe M.
Lakeland, FL

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Nathan
(Login nmotz06)
Hummingbird lover 2013

Re: Mid July in MA

July 13 2017, 10:51 AM 

I miss those kind of numbers Joe. In Cali I had 4 feeders up during the breeding season and probably should have hung more. By July the birds were regularly putting away 35 to as many as 50 ounces of solution per day. I'm hoping next season will be bigger for me here once my yard really gets established. For now I have 2 feeders and probably 6-8 regular visitors, just 2 adult males as far as I can tell.
Nathan Motz
Deridder, Louisiana

Indy Steve
(Login SteveWnindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

July 13 2017, 12:28 PM 

Joe

Its good to hear activity is picking up in your area. I have only 3 feeders up but yesterday before going to kings island I put in a full qt the night before and after returning home I noticed half that was gone. So the action appears to be picking up and by months end should be even better as august is usually my strongest time at least for the first 3 weeks.
Steve
Martinsville In.
Zone 6

Find more about Weather in Martinsville, IN
Click for weather forecast

Joe M.
(Login flhummer)
Hummingbirder 2012

July 13 2017, 4:58 PM 

Rain started just after noon and the temperature at 70 (high of the day), at 4:45 its down to 62 here, and the rain continues.
Just about ready to put the sweats on since this Floridian isn't use to temps., in the low 60's during the day along with high humidity.
Hummer activity as a result has been brisk and we have refilled feeders several times, 1 1/2 qt. used so far today.
First opportunity to stand under the eves with a bottle feeder in my hand and within 30 sec. had a young bird feeding greedily followed by two others. The hummers are getting plenty of what they are looking for and I'm enjoying watching the feeder activity. The hummers always make my day regardless of the weather conditions.
Cheers,
Joe M.
Lakeland, FL

Joe M.
(Login flhummer)
Hummingbirder 2012

July 15 2017, 5:26 PM 

Always like a photo that shows a hummer with an interesting posture, little doubt he was curious about the sound of the camera shutter.
After 2 1/2 days of rain it was nice to see the sun here.
Cowbirds showed up at the seed feeder which didn't make me happy but then a return of several house finches which did!

Immature Male_JJM7138 Cropped_001
Joe M.
Lakeland, FL

Tom M
(Login TomnStPete)
Hummingbird Lover 2014

July 16 2017, 6:33 PM 

Now that is a GREAT shot! Just needs a whimsical caption wink.gif
St Pete Tom
USDA 10a, Heat 10

Cathy P (Downers Grove, IL Zone 5b)
(Login Bazuhi)
Hummingbird Lover 2014

July 17 2017, 12:58 AM 

Nice shot!!
Cathy P
A Hummingbird Fan in Downers Grove, Illinois
Zone 5a
bazuhi@sbcglobal.net
See My Hummingbird Gardens and Plants
https://www.facebook.com/Cathy-Ps-Hummingbird-Gardens-885457968170727/photos_stream?tab=photos_albums

Find more about Weather in Downers Grove, IL
Click for weather forecast

Alex
(Login Sweeper13)
Hummingbird Lover 2014

July 18 2017, 1:46 PM 

Nice..Shes checking u out.
Alex
Northlake, Il.
Click for Forecast for 60164 from weatherUSA

Astrid
(Login FlyingJewels)
Hummingbird Lover 2017

July 18 2017, 3:06 PM 

Hilarious picture!!!

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
TinyPic image hosting site
TinyPic is a free picture hosting site (ad supported) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Tinypic link above; Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload Now; Copy the Direct Link for Layouts; Paste that code in your message.

Postimage hosting site
Postimage is a free picture hosting site (with some ads) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Postimage link above; Browse for your picture by clicking on Choose Image.; Select your image and Open; Highlight and Copy the Hotlink for website ; Paste that code in your message.

PLEASE VISIT OUR OTHER SITES:
Feathered Friends The Butterfly Forum The Brugmansia Forum

map_v2.png?u=h2sm&d=9lixPygMc1t0CHHPqCRs

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

The Hummingbird Forum was founded on September 15, 2005
Keeping hummingbirds alive in cold weather
web analytics