<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Hummer lands on pond waterfall. Youtube link

July 17 2017 at 3:20 AM
Alex  (Login Sweeper13)
Hummingbird Lover 2014

Sorry if this was posted already. Im trying to get some ideas on sprucing my pond and was watching Pondiggers videos on YouTube. He posted a video of a hummer landing on his waterfall, figured I would share.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mev8jUlHzc
Alex
Northlake, Il.
Click for Forecast for 60164 from weatherUSA

This message has been edited by Sweeper13 on Jul 17, 2017 3:22 AM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Joe M.
(Login flhummer)
Hummingbirder 2012

Re: Hummer lands on pond waterfall. Youtube link

July 17 2017, 7:11 AM 

Thanks for posting, brought back memories of an Allen's that visited our backyard one winter in FL.
Only Allen's I have seen and only hummer that regularly would visit the bird bath and a mister we put out.
We have tried over the years to entice the Ruby-throats to use the misters and the bird bath with a bubbling fountain, to no avail.
Joe M.
Lakeland, FL

Nathan
(Login nmotz06)
Hummingbird lover 2013

July 17 2017, 10:57 AM 

Joe,

I'm looking around on Amazon and a few other places for a solar powered bird bath that hummingbirds might use. Any recommendations?
Nathan Motz
Deridder, Louisiana

Joe M.
(Login flhummer)
Hummingbirder 2012

July 17 2017, 5:38 PM 

Never thought of a solar powered birdbath. Can't help you. If your interest is powering a pump to move water for a fountain or waterfall just match the pumps power requirements with a solar array that will provide the necessary power.
Best advise I can offer.
Joe M.
Lakeland, FL

Adrienne
(Login Adrienneny)
Hummingbird Lover 2015

July 17 2017, 6:18 PM 

I never get tired of hummingbirds in water.

Cathy P (Downers Grove, IL Zone 5b)
(Login Bazuhi)
Hummingbird Lover 2014

July 17 2017, 11:00 PM 

I have a fountians and should watch to see if they
ever use it, mine did come and investigate me while sprinkling
the plants
Cathy P
A Hummingbird Fan in Downers Grove, Illinois
Zone 5a
bazuhi@sbcglobal.net
See My Hummingbird Gardens and Plants
https://www.facebook.com/Cathy-Ps-Hummingbird-Gardens-885457968170727/photos_stream?tab=photos_albums

Find more about Weather in Downers Grove, IL
Click for weather forecast

Kathi and Michael Rock
(Login kathirock)
Hummingbird Member 2006

July 18 2017, 1:42 AM 

We tried a solar powered birdbath once and it was a colossal failure up here in the frozen tundra! Unlike solar lights, it takes a lot of sun power to run a fountain or a bird bath during the day all day. Most of the time it never worked or only ran once in a while. Maybe it would work better in the south though, but a very overcast or rainy day might still be a challenge.

To run the pump in our small garden pond, we had to figure out how to get electricity outside and it wasn't too hard. You might start out with something like the K-Mart Red Fountain---it's under $50 and requires no set up. If you have electricity in our garage, you could run an extension cord from there.

It is a lot of work for us to establish and maintain our small garden pond each year (it has to be taken down in the fall and then everything is cleaned up and the small recirculating waterfall and mister/dripper device is set up again in the spring.) Despite the work of it, we've never regretted having a pond though---we sometimes see hummingbirds flying through the mist and leaf bathing.

Sometimes I think that Western hummingbirds are more inclined to use a water feature---maybe the heat is greater out there and this helps. It is so much fun to watch though.
Michael and Kathi Rock
Madison, WI
Zone 5

[linked image]

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
TinyPic image hosting site
TinyPic is a free picture hosting site (ad supported) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Tinypic link above; Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload Now; Copy the Direct Link for Layouts; Paste that code in your message.

Postimage hosting site
Postimage is a free picture hosting site (with some ads) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Postimage link above; Browse for your picture by clicking on Choose Image.; Select your image and Open; Highlight and Copy the Hotlink for website ; Paste that code in your message.

PLEASE VISIT OUR OTHER SITES:
Feathered Friends The Butterfly Forum The Brugmansia Forum

map_v2.png?u=h2sm&d=9lixPygMc1t0CHHPqCRs

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

The Hummingbird Forum was founded on September 15, 2005
Keeping hummingbirds alive in cold weather
web analytics