<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Stachytarpheta 'Nectarwand Red'

July 26 2017 at 9:12 PM
jp  (Login nalono1)
Hummingbird Member 2005

This is the tall red one from Bustani. Is growing well with 3 months under its belt.

[linked image]

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Kathi and Michael Rock
(Login kathirock)
Hummingbird Member 2006

Re: Stachytarpheta 'Nectarwand Red'

July 27 2017, 1:08 AM 

How amazingly beautiful!! I hope this becomes commercially available someday. jp, how is the hummer use?
Michael and Kathi Rock
Madison, WI
Zone 5

[linked image]

Tom
(Login tbyrnes)
Hummingbird Member 2006

July 27 2017, 8:34 AM 

What is your growing zone, JP?

The other red Stachy that I've seen was much smaller and very sensitive to any cold weather. I found that it was very attractive to hummers.

It would be great to see this plant offered somewhere online.
Click for Forecast for 34711 from weatherUSA

Tom M
(Login TomnStPete)
Hummingbird Lover 2014

July 27 2017, 9:05 AM 

Beautiful JP. My pink sure plays a backseat to the purple, glad to hear they really like this red and it sure is taller than the traditional dwarf red.
St Pete Tom
USDA 10a, Heat 10

jp
(Login nalono1)
Hummingbird Member 2005

July 27 2017, 11:36 AM 

It does get good hummer use. I am in zone 6.

Tom M
Probably in early Oct I am going to cut them back, pull them up and mail them to you. Same for the blue one. See if you can get them going in Florida.

Tom M
(Login TomnStPete)
Hummingbird Lover 2014

August 4 2017, 11:24 AM 

Thanks JP, I can't wait to give them a try. I'll be curious to see if these bloom continuously here, frantzii does but mutabilis doesn't....
St Pete Tom
USDA 10a, Heat 10

Kathi and Michael Rock
(Login kathirock)
Hummingbird Member 2006

August 4 2017, 2:07 PM 

I'm happy to hear that hummer use is good jp. If we can ever get it, I'd be thrilled as the other Stachytarphetas always seem to be tiny, insignificant container plants for us and we only rarely see a hummingbird use them.
Michael and Kathi Rock
Madison, WI
Zone 5

[linked image]

Joni
(Login Yodlei44)
Hummingbirder 2008

August 8 2017, 11:37 AM 

I am so jealous, JP!!! I will have to get to Bustani one day. All Stachytarphetas get regular use & I'm sure that one would be no exception. I lately am seeing more use on them & Agastaches then on the Salvias for the most part. Your plant is awesome!!! My over-wintered dwarf red was looking pretty measly when first brought out of the basement but has really come into full flower the past 2 weeks. There have already been fights over it. It gets used somewhat more than jamacensis.

Joni
Elwood, IL
Zone 5b
[linked image]

jp
(Login nalono1)
Hummingbird Member 2005

October 15 2017, 4:29 PM 

Picture taken on Oct 5th. Plant grew to around 7 feet. Good use by the hummingbirds and butterflies. Does not like this cooler weather.

[linked image]

Danita
(Login Danitagardens)
Hummingbird lover 2009

October 16 2017, 3:36 AM 

Wow, JP, that is absolutely stunning! [linked image]

I bet it's the Stachytarpheta microphylla genes that are making it so cold sensitive.

I sooo wish that Bustani still did mail order. A few years ago, I was putting together what would be my first order from them. There was a lot on my list, including that elusive Stachytarpheta 'Deep Blue'. However, it was getting a bit late in the year so I decided to wait until the next spring. Guess what? That was the very spring that they stopped doing mail order! sad.gif

Has either Stachytarpheta 'Nectarwand Red' or Stachytarpheta 'Deep Blue' set any seed for you?
If so, I'd love to trade seeds with you. I have various seeds to offer in return, if interested. Thanks! happy.gif

jp
(Login nalono1)
Hummingbird Member 2005

October 16 2017, 1:45 PM 

Danita,

The red has set some seed. I can not find any seeds on the deep blue one. I will be getting rid of them soon. I can harvest some seeds for you. I can send some of the live plant if you want to mess with them in the winter. noladux@everestkc.net

Kathi and Michael Rock
(Login kathirock)
Hummingbird Member 2006

October 16 2017, 2:05 PM 

jp,

It is amazingly stunning and it's so strange to me that stachytarpheta is such a little used annual in American gardens.

I would definitely take a piece of the live plant to see if I could keep it alive over the winter.
Michael and Kathi Rock
Madison, WI
Zone 5

[linked image]

Tom M
(Login TomnStPete)
Hummingbird Lover 2014

October 16 2017, 6:42 PM 

Don't forget me JP, I kept your address label but it has faded and I can't read it sad.gif I need to send you some boxes and bags, please drop me a line.
St Pete Tom
USDA 10a, Heat 10

Tom B
(Login tbyrnes)
Hummingbird Member 2006

October 17 2017, 4:31 PM 

I would also love a cutting or two, JP. I sent you an email.

I'm the other Tom from Florida. I live in Central Florida and the large purple stachy is probably the most visited plant I have for both hummers and butterflies. I think the red one would do great here.
Click for Forecast for 34711 from weatherUSA

Patricia
(Login costaricanhummingbirds)
Hummingbirder 2008

October 17 2017, 6:10 PM 

You could send it to me and I will keep it warm and promise t0 take very good care of it 8-)

Danita
(Login Danitagardens)
Hummingbird lover 2009

October 17 2017, 11:51 PM 

Thank you so much, JP!happy.gif
That is so very kind of you.
I sent an email earlier today.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Search the Hummingbird Forum using Google search:
TinyPic image hosting site
TinyPic is a free picture hosting site (ad supported) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Tinypic link above; Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload Now; Copy the Direct Link for Layouts; Paste that code in your message.

Postimage hosting site
Postimage is a free picture hosting site (with some ads) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Postimage link above; Browse for your picture by clicking on Choose Image.; Select your image and Open; Highlight and Copy the Hotlink for website ; Paste that code in your message.

PLEASE VISIT OUR OTHER SITES:
Feathered Friends The Butterfly Forum The Brugmansia Forum

map_v2.png?u=h2sm&d=9lixPygMc1t0CHHPqCRs

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

The Hummingbird Forum was founded on September 15, 2005
Keeping hummingbirds alive in cold weather
web analytics