<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Salvia 'Blue Ensign' seed?

August 3 2017 at 7:01 PM
Dan  (Login hawkeye_wx)
Hummingbird lover 2009

I've been growing salvia 'blue ensign' for many years. As far as I knew, this plant produces no seed. I've never seen any seed in the calyxes and I've never seen any volunteers... until now, that is. This spring I noticed an apparent blue ensign shoot growing about 18 inches away from the main plant, which was overwintered in the ground for the first time this past winter. I just assumed it was growing from a long runner. It continued to grow with the rest of the plant and I haven't paid much attention to it. This morning, however, while looking out my bedroom window, which is right next to the plant, I noticed an odd black bloom spike among the typical green blue ensign spikes. It pretty quickly hit me that that one shoot is not growing from a runner, but from a seed that dropped from a previous year's plant. I'm guessing the flower color will be the same deep blue as blue ensign, but I won't know for another few days. Has anyone else found blue ensign volunteers, or even any seed? Steve?
East-central Iowa
Zone 5a

This message has been edited by hawkeye_wx on Aug 3, 2017 9:33 PM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Ward
(Login WardDas)
Hummingbird Moderator 2005

Re: Salvia 'Blue Ensign' seed?

August 3 2017, 8:21 PM 

You must be anxious to see what you have. I would be. As to your question most guaranitica set seed, at least the types I've tried. But I have never had a garden volunteer.

Indy Steve
(Login SteveWnindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

August 3 2017, 10:02 PM 

Nope, the only thing Ive seen is a sprout a distance away by way of runner.
Steve
Martinsville In.
Zone 6

Find more about Weather in Martinsville, IN
Click for weather forecast

Richard Dufresne
(Login RichDufresne)
Hummingbird lover 2013

August 4 2017, 12:23 PM 

This may be a seed from a different variety of guaranitica. It also might be a hybrid, since seeds of straight guaranitica are hard to germinate. I see very few seeds set in my guaraniticas, even by hand pollination.

Dan
(Login hawkeye_wx)
Hummingbird lover 2009

August 4 2017, 1:35 PM 

It certainly has the blue ensign form. It is a slender 4 ft tall and is branching out at the top like blue ensign. That said, this seedling has grown in a rather confined, limited-sun space, with the big blue ensign plant up against it on one side and a big hydrangea plant covering its lower half on the other side. I recently cut back the hydrangea, so it gets a bit more sun now. It'll still be a couple more days before I see the bloom color.
East-central Iowa
Zone 5a

Dan
(Login hawkeye_wx)
Hummingbird lover 2009

August 5 2017, 4:31 PM 

I was just searching this forum and discovered a 'blue ensign' thread from late last year in which Cathy P talks about blue ensign volunteering in her garden.
East-central Iowa
Zone 5a

Joni
(Login Yodlei44)
Hummingbirder 2008

August 8 2017, 11:18 AM 

I only had 'Blue Ensign' 1 year & it was 3 or 4 ago. I have never found a guaranitica seedling so if that is what it is, you must be pretty lucky. Will be interesting to see so keep us posted.

As for greggii/microphylla types, I find seedlings often. Many left in place don't survive but when I get that rare one that does, seems that plant will survive quite a few years before dying out. I will have to get a picture but found a seedling about 3 weeks ago near where I had a raised pot of 'Royal Bumble' last year. It's right at the front walk & although it looks stupid there in the mulch, I left it & it grew fast. It just started flowering & it appears true to the parent plant. I'm not versed well at what seed comes true & what doesn't but I have never had a Salvia with the true blood red color of 'Royal Bumble' & this seedling has it. Will get pix.

In this same mulch strip near my walk, 1 lone 'Summer Red Jewel' seedling also emerged around the same time & is flowering it's head off. Again, looks strange as the only 2 plants in the mulch. Used to line the walk with Red Impatiens but haven't planted them after that fungal disease started. I miss them. Replacement varieties haven't matched up to flower power or size.

Joni
Elwood, IL
Zone 5b
[linked image]

Dan
(Login hawkeye_wx)
Hummingbird lover 2009

August 10 2017, 1:24 PM 

My blue ensign volunteer is producing blooms identical to the parent, so the only obvious differences are the black calyxes and darker stem. You might call it 'black & blue ensign'.
East-central Iowa
Zone 5a

This message has been edited by hawkeye_wx on Aug 10, 2017 1:25 PM

Cathy P (Downers Grove, IL Zone 5b)
(Login Bazuhi)
Hummingbird Lover 2014

August 19 2017, 1:01 PM 

I have tons of volunteers in my yard and I know they are not
runners. Some of mine take after the BB plant and others
must be taking after the parent plant of BB or BE.
I did happily get 2 more BE this year and didn't know
till after I transplanted them and they bloomed.
My BE have a round rugged leaf my BB have a more oval smoother
leaf but I am getting volunteers with the BE leaf but the BB flower.
I have a lot of volunteers in the yard and 2 even made
it over the winter with no protection.
I am watching 4 more to see if they flower BE and I may protect
them to over winter them outside them move them next spring
Cathy P
A Hummingbird Fan in Downers Grove, Illinois
Zone 5a
bazuhi@sbcglobal.net
See My Hummingbird Gardens and Plants
https://www.facebook.com/Cathy-Ps-Hummingbird-Gardens-885457968170727/photos_stream?tab=photos_albums

Find more about Weather in Downers Grove, IL
Click for weather forecast

Dan
(Login hawkeye_wx)
Hummingbird lover 2009

August 19 2017, 1:09 PM 

Cathy, have you ever seen any different bloom color, like lavender/light blue, etc.?
East-central Iowa
Zone 5a

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Search the Hummingbird Forum using Google search:
TinyPic image hosting site
TinyPic is a free picture hosting site (ad supported) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Tinypic link above; Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload Now; Copy the Direct Link for Layouts; Paste that code in your message.

Postimage hosting site
Postimage is a free picture hosting site (with some ads) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Postimage link above; Browse for your picture by clicking on Choose Image.; Select your image and Open; Highlight and Copy the Hotlink for website ; Paste that code in your message.

PLEASE VISIT OUR OTHER SITES:
Feathered Friends The Butterfly Forum The Brugmansia Forum

map_v2.png?u=h2sm&d=9lixPygMc1t0CHHPqCRs

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

The Hummingbird Forum was founded on September 15, 2005
Keeping hummingbirds alive in cold weather
web analytics