<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>return to index  

Salvia comments

August 3 2017 at 9:29 PM
Carol Trego  (Login Imcarol)
Hummingbird Lover 2017

This is the first year I am growing Wendy's Wish in my garden. I have some in the ground and a few in pots. They grow equally well planted in the ground and in pots and like some partial shade. It takes a fairly long time before all the flowers are spent on the scape of WW. The branches on Wendy's Wish seem fairly strong too, which surprised me. I planted a couple of Wendy's Wish salvia plants in front of a blue Porterweed thinking the back plant (Porterweed) would get taller than WW. Not so. So far the blue Porterweed is a lot shorter than the WW. It looks like a miniature Porterweed plant compared to other Porterweed plants that I am growing (Coral and Purple). I have WW planted right beside Black and Bloom. I noticed bees do not go up into the tubular flower of WW. Instead they go inside the part of the plant that the flower grows out of.

I'm also growing a Salvia named Patio Blue, new to my garden this year. I bought a couple of six packs at the Hardware store that were really cheap. For the longest time only the foliage grew and no flowers appeared. It is only starting to bloom recently so I figure it must be a late bloomer. That's fine with me because I like any plant that extends the bloom season.

Also new in my garden this year is Salvia Elegans Honey Melon. Some of these plants are blooming now and can get really big. I have one in a big pot, it is probably root bound and can take a gallon of water or more each day depending on the heat. Honey Melon roots very easy as I've broken off some branches and stuck them in water; roots appear in no time.

I have one plant of Love and Wishes growing in a pot. The color of Love and Wishes is similar to Wendy's Wish, but slightly different. I like the growth patterns on WW better than Love and Wishes.

I always grow Pineapple Sage and plant a dozen or so plants along the fence on the side yard. I have some extra ones plants here and there throughout the garden. Come September it starts to bloom and also gets fairly large in size. It will bloom until frost hits it which usually happens in November, but sometimes sooner. It sometimes is blooming when I purchase the young plants in spring; probably from greenhouse growth. It then stops blooming and doesn't bloom again until late summer. Hummers that hang around in September and October use Pineapple Sage a lot.

Amistad is also new here this year. There are two plants of Amistad in pots and three planted in the ground. Here, Amistad likes being in a pot and grows well that way. The plants in the ground sometimes looking like they are wilting, even though they have enough water. I almost lost a huge potted plant of Amistad when I was on vacation a couple of weeks ago. My partner didn't water it sufficiently each day during a very hot spell. I caught it just in time when returning home and it bounced back.

I think this picture is a hummingbird getting nectar from Black and Bloom. My camera sometimes does not get the colors of flowers as they should be, which is a little disappointing. I can tell you the hummers really like Black and Bloom.

Black and Bloom

Carol Trego
New Cumberland, Pennsylvania USA
Zone 6b

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Dan
(Login hawkeye_wx)
Hummingbird lover 2009

Re: Salvia comments

August 3 2017, 9:52 PM 

Wendy's Wish is one of the least brittle salvias I've grown.

Amistad grows well in a container and the ground for me. My main ground-grown plant is always one of the most spectacular plants in my yard late each season. I am growing a second one in the ground this year behind my garage. It wilts a bit most days, but that's because it is up against the garage in a wind-protected spot that really bakes on sunny afternoons.

I'd like to see hummers using my 'black & bloom', but my plants still haven't bloomed.
East-central Iowa
Zone 5a

Kathi and Michael Rock
(Login kathirock)
Hummingbird Member 2006

August 4 2017, 12:40 AM 

Wow, Dan, I wonder why your 'Black and Bloom' is still not blooming? Ours has been blooming since early June at least and is well used by hummers??

Carol, you know which plant this is, but the plant in the photo almost looks more like 'Love and Wishes', but I'm sure I'm wrong.

I will consider the Salvia patens 'Patio Blue' for next season. We are growing another similar Salvia patens (we had not grow Salvia patens for 10 years!) and we have seen hummer use of it. I notice that Flowers By The Sea carries 'Patio Blue' (no items available now)---I have not seen this for sale locally (we purchased our Salvia patens by mail order from Select Seed.)

http://www.selectseeds.com/rare-annuals/salvia_gentian_sage_guanajuato_plants.aspx

We have grown Salvia elegans 'Honey Melon' in the past and it was pretty and colorful, but seemed to have a shorter bloom time than other salvias for us.
Michael and Kathi Rock
Madison, WI
Zone 5

[linked image]

Carol Trego
(Login Imcarol)
Hummingbird Lover 2017

Salvia comments

August 4 2017, 4:58 AM 

Kathy,

I was wrong in writing that salvia was Black and Blue in the first image. It is Amistad instead of Black and Bloom. I went back to my images taken that day to identify the location of where the plant is growing. I saw an Azalea in back of the plant. I know for sure it is Amistad. Here is another image of it. This is the plant in a pot that nearly died from lack of water when I was on vacation. I showed my partner the location of all my potted plants and he did not pay enough attention to this one when I was away for a few days. It turned out OK because I caught it in time, much to my surprise and relief.

I thought about letting this plant stay in the same pot and considered transplanting it to a larger pot. It is root bound, I'm pretty sure about that. Because the branches seem brittle and they could break, and it is a healthy looking plant, it will stay in the pot and grow as is. I don't want to chance losing it so late in the season. It just needs water every day in the pot to thrive because it is huge. If I grow Amistad in a pot next year it will go in a larger pot.

Thank you for questioning what variety of salvia it was; it made me go back to look closer. The background in the other image was blurred. I didn't realize the Azalea foliage was in the background until looking again at this one. Now I also see a bamboo hoop in the picture. Those bamboo hoops really help support plants. I need to get more of them because all of mine are in use and I have other plants that could use the support. I think A. M. Leonard sells them. I saw a female hummer in the early evening going to some tall Zinnia and Verbena Bonariensis plants that were transplanted to the ground a couple of weeks ago. The flowers are now blooming and the plants are growing fast. The female hummer didn't pay attention to me and went from flower to flower getting nectar. I stood still and watched her. She ended up sitting on top of a bamboo hoop (another reason I like them) for a little while. No camera with me, so no images.

Amistad
Amistad

Carol Trego
New Cumberland, Pennsylvania USA
Zone 6b

Ward Dasey
(Login WardDas)
Hummingbird Moderator 2005

August 4 2017, 11:46 AM 

I am amazed that Amistad can be grown successfully in pots. It gets so huge. Some of the ones at home are now 6'X6' and it is just early August. It is funny, in the early morning Amistad is the top choice with the hummingbirds but in the evening they pass it by completely.

Of the three Wishes Embers Wish is the largest here. Cuttings rooted late last fall are about 4'X5'+. None of the Wishes are much of an evening nectar plant here. Several visitors expressed a preference for the dark leafed and dusky flowered Love and Wishes. It is nice enough but I don't agree and it is much smaller than Embers even though it was larger when planted.

Another I notice about the Wishes. The small rooted cuttings planted around May first have actually outgrown plants I saved in large pots on the porch last winter. Admittedly the soil where many of the cuttings went had been well reinforced with compost in April but it appears there is no advantage to saving large plants over the winter. For those of us working in tight spaces that might be good to know.

Kathi and Michael Rock
(Login kathirock)
Hummingbird Member 2006

August 4 2017, 2:05 PM 

Carol,

Now I can see that it's 'Amistad'. The first season we grew this plant, we had one in a container and it had to be watered so frequently that it just wasn't worth it. I always grow them in the ground now---they are monster plants for us, sometimes reaching 5-7 feet tall. Ward, when we have more hummingbirds, I'll have to see when 'Amistad' is used by them---I never knew that morning might be a more popular time.
Michael and Kathi Rock
Madison, WI
Zone 5

[linked image]

Ward Dasey
(Login WardDas)

August 4 2017, 2:47 PM 

Kathi, I don't bring that observation a lot, perhaps beating a dead horse. When I wasn't running any feeders in the summer it mattered a lot. In the past few years I have given in on that and now hang a couple. It sort of depends on the traffic situation. Early August is rush hour. This morning was so busy it was really hard to drag myself away and head to the office. No herbaceous salvia among any I have tried has ever outdone Amistad in vigor of growth, ease of propagation and wintering over.

Kathi and Michael Rock
(Login kathirock)
Hummingbird Member 2006

August 4 2017, 3:39 PM 

Ward,

We are seeing many more hummingbirds now, but our peak won't occur until much later.

I fully agree with you on the first two points about 'Amistad'---this is clearly our most vigorous salvia, even thriving in less than ideal locations and horrible soil. However, for us, it would sadly never be hardy---I wish it was!! I did overwinter one in our sun room one year and the next year replanted in the ground, it was a towering monster, topping out at almost 8 feet tall!
Michael and Kathi Rock
Madison, WI
Zone 5

[linked image]

This message has been edited by kathirock on Aug 4, 2017 3:42 PM

Ward Dasey
(Login WardDas)

August 4 2017, 3:56 PM 

I wouldn't call it hardy here either. Because last winter was unusually mild some unprotected plants didn't survive. Normally with protection about 50% of them come through and they are almost always first year plants not older ones. It would seem we had a zone 8 type winter. All that said I have never had an eight foot Amistad. You should see the Van Remsen this year, it must be close to nine feet now and a good seven or eight across. Too bad it won't bloom until almost all the hummingbirds are long gone. If I was smart I'd kill it and grow something else - too tender hearted.

Danielle
(Login Danisk8r)
Hummingbird Lover 2017

August 4 2017, 4:29 PM 

Great picture. I'm new to hummingbirds and just starting to plant for them so it's nice to see.

Joni
(Login Yodlei44)
Hummingbirder 2008

August 8 2017, 11:09 AM 

I also started a Salvia Observation thread that no one commented on so I won't duplicate since I will be adding to it since it has been a few weeks.

However, as for the "Wishes", Wendy & Ember appear to be around the same size & they are pretty tough if the whole planter blows over or in wind but if you bump against it, branches have broken. Love is much better behaved, more tidy & flowers a little better although I love them all. ('Love & Wishes' & 'Amistad' have a similar flower color but if picture is closer, the fuzziness of L&W is apparent to distinguish them).

In pots, my 'Blue Brazilian' is beating 'Amistad' size-wise. Both get a lot of use & doesn't matter the time of day.

My 'Black & Bloom' was bought with blooms but never re-bloomed after planting in a pot but just saw some starting 2 days ago. Also broke large main stem in a storm week or so ago so it is ugly now. Rained yesterday so didn't go out. Getting ready to go out now (late since it is pretty chilly this morning) so I will check it again.

I tried Salvia patens 'Dot's Delight' from Select Seeds this year & it hasn't bloomed yet. Disappointing.

Joni
Elwood, IL
Zone 5b
[linked image]

Indy Steve
(Login SteveWnindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

August 8 2017, 11:29 AM 

One thing I remember now and before having WW is that when the heat is taking its toll on other plants is that WW keep right on trucking. But I did have some storm damage on WW early on and lost some stems because of it.

Concerning black and bloom they bloomed well early on, then when the flowers were used up I removed the spent stems and it took a long time for them to re flower, all mine are in pots and are now flowering again just in time for migration.
Steve
Martinsville In.
Zone 6

Find more about Weather in Martinsville, IN
Click for weather forecast

Kathi and Michael Rock
(Login kathirock)
Hummingbird Member 2006

August 8 2017, 1:00 PM 

We have a lot of Salvia guaranitica 'Black and Blue' this year and it's been a super slow year for this plant. A few still have not bloomed. I've already resigned myself to the fact that we may have many green/non-blooming salvias for our Garden Tour in September---the cool, wet, and overcast season has not benefitted these types of plants.

I have been very impressed with 'Wendy's Wish' though (and the other two 'Wishes' are also doing well)---it blooms early and just keeps on blooming no matter what!!

'Amistad' is also doing extremely well---blooming and blooming despite the less than ideal conditions.
Michael and Kathi Rock
Madison, WI
Zone 5

[linked image]

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>return to index  
Search the Hummingbird Forum using Google search:
TinyPic image hosting site
TinyPic is a free picture hosting site (ad supported) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Tinypic link above; Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload Now; Copy the Direct Link for Layouts; Paste that code in your message.

Postimage hosting site
Postimage is a free picture hosting site (with some ads) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Postimage link above; Browse for your picture by clicking on Choose Image.; Select your image and Open; Highlight and Copy the Hotlink for website ; Paste that code in your message.

PLEASE VISIT OUR OTHER SITES:
Feathered Friends Helpful Tips The Bug Forum The Butterfly Forum The Brugmansia Forum

map_v2.png?u=h2sm&d=9lixPygMc1t0CHHPqCRs

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

The Hummingbird Forum was founded on September 15, 2005
Keeping hummingbirds alive in cold weather
web analytics