<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

NYT Article about Praying Mantis

August 4 2017 at 7:34 PM

Kathi and Michael Rock  (Login kathirock)
Hummingbird Member 2006

If anyone has ever witnessed a praying mantis kill a hummingbird (I hope I never do!), please e-mail me at kathijr@yahoo.com. A reporter from the New York Times has contacted the man who started the HUMNET listserve and wishes to speak to anyone who is knowledgeable about hummingbirds who has witnessed this.
Michael and Kathi Rock
Madison, WI
Zone 5

[linked image]

This message has been edited by kathirock on Oct 3, 2017 2:24 AM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Alex
(Login Sweeper13)
Hummingbird Lover 2014

Re: Request From HUMNET---Praying Mantis

August 4 2017, 8:15 PM 

Will do....I had a few Mantis's in the yard last year, that part of the garden was a pretty good distant away from the feeder. Not to say,they couldnt mosey on over.
Alex
Northlake, Il.
Click for Forecast for 60164 from weatherUSA

This message has been edited by Sweeper13 on Aug 4, 2017 8:15 PM

Joe M.
(Login flhummer)
Hummingbirder 2012

August 5 2017, 6:10 AM 

Kathi,
There are any number of reports including still images and a few video clips, all pretty gruesome, on the net. Searchable by using the term: "Preying Mantis and/vs. hummingbirds".
I would hope the Times reporter seeks these folks out and also points out other Hummingbird predators such as the various Rat Snake varieties.

Joe M.
Lakeland, FL

I love Hummingbirds
(Login DouglasE)
Hummingbird lover 2013

August 5 2017, 8:57 AM 

There are many videos of Praying Mantis/ Hummingbird encounters on YouTube.

Here in Tucson I captured one interaction.

Pax,
Douglas
Foothills of the Santa Catalina Mountains
Tucson, Arizona

This message has been edited by DouglasE on Aug 5, 2017 9:01 AM

I love Hummingbirds
(Login flhummer)
Hummingbirder 2012

August 5 2017, 10:04 AM 

Doug, I hope you relocated the Mantis to an isolated desert Cacti!
Sure was driving the Costa's nuts!
Joe M.
Lakeland, FL

Kathi and Michael Rock
(Login kathirock)
Hummingbird Member 2006

August 5 2017, 3:14 PM 

Thank you for these ideas and videos. This was not my project, but I was just broadening the search for Dr. Remsen. It's my guess that a reporter on this level has already found all of these video clips and online accounts, but wanted to speak with someone knowledgeable about hummingbirds in person so he could ask questions, clarify points, etc. I will pass all of your suggestions, information onto Dr. Remsen.
Michael and Kathi Rock
Madison, WI
Zone 5

[linked image]

Indy Steve
(Login SteveWnindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

August 6 2017, 10:15 AM 

It seems it is during this time of hummer season that I will see a mantis on a feeder or on a plant in waiting , but I have noticed the hummers seem quite wary of the mantis intruders. I always remove the mantis when I see them and It something that should be pointed out to any novice hummer gardeners.
Steve
Martinsville In.
Zone 6

Find more about Weather in Martinsville, IN
Click for weather forecast

Joni
(Login Yodlei44)
Hummingbirder 2008

August 8 2017, 10:49 AM 

I've never found one on a feeder but I have seen one on my flowers & usually find it after a Hummer has appeared agitated. They fly around them like they do when bees are near the feeder or when a Butterfly lands on a flower too close to them. Found a baby on my front door screen about 3 weeks or so ago. Never saw him again. I seem to find them in my yews near the front door & rarely find them out in the flower beds. Their cocoons are usually attached to shrub twigs & the evergreen foliage probably gives them protection over winter.

Joni
Elwood, IL
Zone 5b
[linked image]

Kathi and Michael Rock
(Login kathirock)
Hummingbird Member 2006

August 8 2017, 12:53 PM 

We have never seen a Praying Mantis in our yard thankfully. I know they are somewhat beneficial in that they eat a lot of bad bugs, but we don't want anything killing the few hummingbirds we have here. Maybe our location is too urban for them.
Michael and Kathi Rock
Madison, WI
Zone 5

[linked image]

Ron
(Login RonDEZone7a)
Hummingbirder 2008

August 10 2017, 8:48 AM 

I RELOCATE any big Praying Mantises if they are anywhere my hummers go! I know they can come back but I still do my best to save my hummers. I reason that, if I am attracting hummingbirds, I should make sure their visits are safe. I have also removed Orb Spider webs near my feeders. I guess some would say, let nature take it's course... but not on my watch!

Besides, I've heard that some of the really giant Praying Mantises are not native (I heard there is an Asian species here now that gets larger than the natives)... Does anyone know if that is true?
Wilmington, Delaware
USDA zone 7a
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 32
[linked image]

Kathi and Michael Rock
(Login kathirock)
Hummingbird Member 2006

August 10 2017, 1:06 PM 

Ron,

This is very smart to do, I'm just relieved that I've never seen one in our yard. From what I know, some species are native to the U.S. and some are not. It is not illegal to kill one either as they are not endangered.
Michael and Kathi Rock
Madison, WI
Zone 5

[linked image]

Kathi and Michael Rock
(Login kathirock)
Hummingbird Member 2006

October 3 2017, 2:23 AM 

I thought a few members might want to see this article published recently in the "New York Times" about the praying mantis. It's definitely not something to read over dinner!!

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/22/science/praying-mantis-eating-birds.html

It was interesting, but scary!! I just hope we never see one in our yard.

Michael and Kathi Rock
Madison, WI
Zone 5

[linked image]

Joni
(Login Yodlei44)
Hummingbirder 2008

Re: NYT Article about Praying Mantis

October 3 2017, 12:50 PM 

Very interesting & thanks for sharing. Someone has really been studying them with intensity!

Joni
Elwood, IL
Zone 5b
[linked image]

Nancy Newfield
(Login humband1)
Hummingbird Member 2005

October 3 2017, 1:04 PM 

Van Remsen sent me the following link:

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/318165276_Bird_Predation_By_Praying_Mantises_A_Global_Perspective
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Nancy L Newfield
Casa Colibrí
Metairie, LA USA
nancy@casacolibri.net
Find more about Weather in Metairie, LA
Click for weather forecast

Kathi and Michael Rock
(Login kathirock)
Hummingbird Member 2006

October 4 2017, 1:23 AM 

Thanks for posting this Nancy. This is obviously the scientific "real deal". I'll read this when it's not so late at night.
Michael and Kathi Rock
Madison, WI
Zone 5

[linked image]

Ward Dasey
(Login WardDas)
Hummingbird Moderator 2005

October 4 2017, 9:39 AM 

They should probably be killed when found or at least their egg cases should be removed and destroyed over the winter. The introduction of this species was another one of those "good ideas". It all harkens back to the days when the only good insect was a dead insect. It would be nice to think we've progressed but I wonder.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Search the Hummingbird Forum using Google search:
TinyPic image hosting site
TinyPic is a free picture hosting site (ad supported) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Tinypic link above; Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload Now; Copy the Direct Link for Layouts; Paste that code in your message.

Postimage hosting site
Postimage is a free picture hosting site (with some ads) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Postimage link above; Browse for your picture by clicking on Choose Image.; Select your image and Open; Highlight and Copy the Hotlink for website ; Paste that code in your message.

PLEASE VISIT OUR OTHER SITES:
Feathered Friends The Butterfly Forum The Brugmansia Forum

map_v2.png?u=h2sm&d=9lixPygMc1t0CHHPqCRs

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

The Hummingbird Forum was founded on September 15, 2005
Keeping hummingbirds alive in cold weather
web analytics