<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Is it Starting Already? Booo

August 5 2017 at 7:52 PM
Marilyn Gruber  (Login MarilynGruber)
Hummingbird Lover 2015

I hope others will chime in with their observations as I hope I may just be wrong. Summer seems so short. I have noticed activity getting very noisy in my yard, chasing too. Also notice what I think maybe are juvenile hummingbirds (oh so long sitting at feeders, looking all around and spending lots of time just sitting there). Appear to be much shorter in length and beaks not as long. They also tend to fly very close to the ground near bottom of plants and take little "breaks" now and then when using the flowers sitting on flower stems. My feeders are visited very often, we have 4 up and see frequent use of 3 of them many times during the day from early morning until after 7:00PM at night.

Has migration started?? Sure hear chatter and see chasing. What is happening in other gardens? Thanks for shared observations. I sure hope it is not migration already.

Marilyn
Marilyn Gruber
Wisconsin
Zone 5

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Indy Steve
(Login SteveWnindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

Re: Is it Starting Already? Booo

August 5 2017, 10:52 PM 

Marilyn

Migration is under way and we always hate to see things start to wind down but we are getting to that point although maybe not at peak migration as yet. But in another week or so I expect to hit peak migration for my area. That may not be the case in other areas though , other areas may experience their peak later on . Either way we all hate to see the season wind down, hate to see thought last few glimpes of hummers , but it is what it is.
Steve
Martinsville In.
Zone 6

Find more about Weather in Martinsville, IN
Click for weather forecast

Fran
(Login happyhummer)
Hummingbird Lover 2015

August 6 2017, 2:20 PM 

Last week seems to be my busiest week so far. Chases and royal battles every where! The fountain was the biggest battle site, and it seemed to be the youngsters that were bombing each other for their turn! I have 4 feeders out and my Hummers smorgasbord garden, and there is usually one dominant Rufous for each one, with a Calliope on the garden. The 4 feeders are hung on low branches of separate apple trees, and they guard them fiercely! I swear they see how close they can buzz my head during their chases! Yesterday and today there have been only 3 Hummers, but I'm hoping for another surge before they start leaving on migration. It always comes too soon!!!

Fran
Lakeview, OR
Zone 4/5

Joe M.
(Login flhummer)
Hummingbirder 2012

August 6 2017, 5:09 PM 

Little doubt it has started!
Here where we are located it's subtle little differences that we note from day to day.
Seeing more birds every day that don't seem immediately familiar with feeders by probing about them and taking a while to find access to the solution, for one.
However there seems to be an equal number of birds that have moved on since my solution usage has remained consistent day to day, at about 1 1/2 qt. a day for the last three weeks. Couple of days, 2 qt. and a couple of days 1 qt..
Adult males that usually are the first to leave have remained consistent at 6-10. when their numbers start decreasing we will be fairly certain that we are starting into the waning days of the migration this year.

We have weeks to go before that happens in my opinion.
Joe M.
Lakeland, FL

Spaceman
(Login SpaceMan013)
Hummingbird lover 2013

Re

August 7 2017, 3:58 PM 

I've been noticing a lot more Psylid hunting behavior in my hackberry tree. They are getting that protien to build some fat for the migration.
Mark [linked image]
Zone 7a
"The Shire" aka Shiremanstown, PA
-------------------------------------------
Nature loves courage. You make the commitment and nature will respond to that commitment by removing impossible obstacles. Dream the impossible dream and the world will not grind you under, it will lift you up. This is what all these teachers and philosophers who really counted, who really touched the alchemical gold, this is what they understood.
This is the shamanic dance in the waterfall. This is how magic is done. By hurling yourself into the abyss and discovering its a feather bed.
-Terence McKenna

Find more about Weather in Mechanicsburg, PA

Joe M.
(Login flhummer)
Hummingbirder 2012

August 7 2017, 5:39 PM 

I had never heard of "Psylid hunting" by Hummers?
How large is it and how do we know about this Psylid hunting by hummers.
Very curious about this
Joe M.
Lakeland, FL

Nancy Newfield
(Login humband1)
Hummingbird Member 2005

August 7 2017, 7:50 PM 

Joe et al.,

See:https://search.yahoo.com/search?fr=mcafee&type=C111US739D20160119&p=Psylid

We don't see a lot of provable migrants before 15 August, but that date is just around the corner. By 'provable', I mean birds carrying significant fat loads.

I consider the birds that I see at my place during July and early August to be post-breeding wanderers, but they seldom use feeders, so trapping them is impossible.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Nancy L Newfield
Casa Colibrí
Metairie, LA USA
nancy@casacolibri.net
Find more about Weather in Metairie, LA

Dylan
(Login utahxericman)
Hummingbird Lover 2016

August 7 2017, 9:50 PM 

Last week my numbers went from about 6 birds to over 16 seeing a lot of youngsters. They are chasing each other all over the place. All 7 of my feeders are constantly being used. Looking to add a few more. My flowers are being heavily used as well. So far I haven't seen many mature Rufous males at this point but my Black chinned male numbers have increased. Loving the numbers but not what it means that they will soon be gone.

Carol Trego
(Login Imcarol)
Hummingbird Lover 2017

August 8 2017, 2:51 AM 

Hi Marilyn and all, last evening I saw hummer activity at the largest Porterweed and nearby salvias here. All day long I noticed hummers feeding at plants and feeders. It was raining most of the day so I was looking out through the window trying to see activity. It is bittersweet to know the next few weeks I'll see more of them, but most will be gone by the end of September. Sometimes I see stragglers in October. They are so fast and hard to get good images. I'll keep trying.

I also saw a male Zebra Swallowtail butterfly on Sunday at my orange/red Lantana and was thrilled. They rarely show up here. I was taking short videos of my gardens at the time. I'm a leader for a daylily group and use the videos to show members what is blooming in my gardens (rather than writing a letter when it my turn to share information). In general, I try to take short videos at least once a year in various areas of the yard to look back during the winter and hear the birds singing. I posted a link on the Butterfly Forum of the video which shows the male Zebra Swallowtail. The male Zebra Swallowtail butterfly at the Lantana in the video is about 2 minutes into the 4 minute video. If interested, just move the bar to speed up the video to get to that point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvKDWkxGFSU

Here is another video that shows hummer activity at Amistad in the front yard. It is 3 minutes long and the hummer activity at the Amistad is about 1 minute into the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjEXxH0ZVrI

Here is an image of three RT hummers at a feeder taken last week. I know where another hummingbird person lives who has an amazing number of RT hummers in her yard which is where the image was taken. The 3 hummers look agreeable to be together at the feeder, but it was very short lived with a flurry of activity.

Carol Trego
New Cumberland, Pennsylvania USA
Zone 6b

Joni
(Login Yodlei44)
Hummingbirder 2008

August 8 2017, 10:17 AM 

OOoooooooh yeah it has begun! My activity has really boosted the past 2 weeks.

Nice videos, Carol. I have a hard time working on flat ground so I'm sure working on a hill would be very difficult but also good exercise. I sit on a garden rocker so if I had that yard, they probably would find me at the bottom of the hill. Ha ha!

Joni
Elwood, IL
Zone 5b
[linked image]

Carol Trego
(Login Imcarol)
Hummingbird Lover 2017

August 8 2017, 12:32 PM 

Joni, working in my hillside gardens and walking uphill to get to them can be challenging. I find wearing good boots really is essential for support of my ankles. My favorite leather boots for gardening are Women's Titan 6" Timberland Pro boots. They are very comfortable and wonderful boots. I wear them in all seasons - spring, summer, and to garden. They come with a soft toe or a safety toe. I bought the safety toe boots because I didn't know they came in a soft toe. I wear a women's size 6.5 and was pleased to find a small size of this type boot that works out so well for gardening. The boots are a little pricey at around $120, but will last for many years and are worth the money. I highly recommend them to any woman who needs feet/ankle support when gardening. There is also a 30-day comfort guarantee.

Writing about boots is a little off-subject but if I didn't have good boots to wear when gardening here there wouldn't be flowers for the hummers to use.

Carol Trego
New Cumberland, Pennsylvania USA
Zone 6b

Joni
(Login Yodlei44)
Hummingbirder 2008

August 9 2017, 10:29 PM 

I kept my steel toe shoes from work in case I would need but I'm dragging my feet by the end of the day without them so they would feel like cement blocks at that point. When just digging/pulling weeds & some light planting, especially after a rain, I wear Sloggers (which I found now has a Hummingbird print on QVC). Mine are getting pretty beat up so might have to jump on those.

I wear Ryka high top hikers if doing heavy digging so as to support my ankles but I have flat land so not too much of an issue.

My biggest worry is that I will trip in a Ground Squirrel hole. Been there done that a few years back & still bothers me from time to time.

As far as cold, can't beat Sorrell's. Can wear them with bare feet in the dead of winter when shoveling snow.

Joni
Elwood, IL
Zone 5b
[linked image]

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Search the Hummingbird Forum using Google search:
TinyPic image hosting site
TinyPic is a free picture hosting site (ad supported) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Tinypic link above; Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload Now; Copy the Direct Link for Layouts; Paste that code in your message.

Postimage hosting site
Postimage is a free picture hosting site (with some ads) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Postimage link above; Browse for your picture by clicking on Choose Image.; Select your image and Open; Highlight and Copy the Hotlink for website ; Paste that code in your message.

PLEASE VISIT OUR OTHER SITES:
Feathered Friends The Butterfly Forum The Brugmansia Forum

map_v2.png?u=h2sm&d=9lixPygMc1t0CHHPqCRs

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

The Hummingbird Forum was founded on September 15, 2005
Keeping hummingbirds alive in cold weather
web analytics