<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>return to index  

Cardinal Flowers

August 8 2017 at 2:23 PM
jp  (Login nalono1)
Hummingbird Member 2005

Took a cool refreshing walk in one of the parks this morning. The cardinal flower was in good bloom and about 6 juvenile hummers feeding and fighting.

[linked image]

This message has been edited by nalono1 on Aug 8, 2017 2:27 PM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Indy Steve
(Login SteveWnindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

Re: Cardinal Flowers

August 8 2017, 9:06 PM 

That truly is a very nice stand of lobelia cardinalis . I have a small patch in my back yard of which hummers use on a daily account.
Steve
Martinsville In.
Zone 6

Find more about Weather in Martinsville, IN
Click for weather forecast

This message has been edited by SteveWnindy on Aug 9, 2017 11:03 AM

Kathi and Michael Rock
(Login kathirock)
Hummingbird Member 2006

August 9 2017, 1:33 AM 

jp,

That is an amazingly stunning display!! I would be thrilled to see this in nature---not many people have enough space to grow this much Cardinal Flower. Lucky you and thank you for sharing it with us!!
Michael and Kathi Rock
Madison, WI
Zone 5

[linked image]

Donald in MN
(Login Ornithophilous)
Hummingbird Member 2006

August 9 2017, 8:33 PM 

JP:

Beautiful picture--thanks for posting. I'm curious--the bed of cardinal flower looks like it is in a municipal park rather than a wild park (mowed lawn surrounding bed, playground in the back). Is that a wild corner of the park, or is it a prepared bed or rain garden that was planted with cardinal flower? I can see what looks like iris in the bed, too. Either way, it is a beautiful sight and would certainly draw the attention of any hummingbird passing by!

Don
Zone 4 Red Wing MN
Find more about Weather in Red Wing, MN
Click for weather forecast

Joni
(Login Yodlei44)
Hummingbirder 2008

August 9 2017, 10:08 PM 

That is quite impressive. My cardinalis never survives for long but my behaved siphilitica reseeded quite a bit last year after removing 6 trees near that side. Apparently needed more sun. Bought more cardinalis again & also bought a couple of cheapy 'Starship Deep Rose' to add to the mix.

That stand above appears to be on an incline, maybe in a ditch so they don't have to mow. Quite a good idea.

Joni
Elwood, IL
Zone 5b
[linked image]

jp
(Login nalono1)
Hummingbird Member 2005

August 11 2017, 8:22 PM 

It is in a municipal park. It is like a rain garden, boggy area. I imagine that the city originally planted some and they have reseeded. Is close to lake.

Kathi and Michael Rock
(Login kathirock)
Hummingbird Member 2006

August 12 2017, 1:39 AM 

Cardinal Flower loves our yard and we have 100% return of all plants with some additional reseeding every season. This year has been particularly good with all of the spring rain. This heavy, rich soil has to be good for something!!
Michael and Kathi Rock
Madison, WI
Zone 5

[linked image]

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>return to index  
Search the Hummingbird Forum using Google search:
TinyPic image hosting site
TinyPic is a free picture hosting site (ad supported) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Tinypic link above; Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload Now; Copy the Direct Link for Layouts; Paste that code in your message.

Postimage hosting site
Postimage is a free picture hosting site (with some ads) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Postimage link above; Browse for your picture by clicking on Choose Image.; Select your image and Open; Highlight and Copy the Hotlink for website ; Paste that code in your message.

PLEASE VISIT OUR OTHER SITES:
Feathered Friends Helpful Tips The Bug Forum The Butterfly Forum The Brugmansia Forum

map_v2.png?u=h2sm&d=9lixPygMc1t0CHHPqCRs

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

The Hummingbird Forum was founded on September 15, 2005
Keeping hummingbirds alive in cold weather
web analytics