<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

O. T. Fun with Tomatoes! [SIZE]

August 25 2017 at 2:49 PM
Indy Steve  (Login SteveWnindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

The last 3 years my brother and I have been attempting to grow tomatoes for size , let alone eating. Last year I had one just short of 2 lb at 1 lb 14 oz. This year I have my largest ever.

Domingo Tomato

beRMfpi.jpg

ITzkE93.jpg
Steve
Martinsville In.
Zone 6

Find more about Weather in Martinsville, IN
Click for weather forecast

This message has been edited by SteveWnindy on Aug 25, 2017 3:39 PM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Ilena Zone 5 wet wet
(Login Cheddarchick)
Hummingbird Lover 2016

Re: O. T. Fun with Tomatoes! [SIZE]

August 27 2017, 10:56 AM 

LOL...That is a big tomato mister....What was the bet?
Ilena Zone 5 Elkhorn, WI

Click for Forecast for 53121 from weatherUSA

Indy Steve
(Login SteveWnindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

August 27 2017, 4:08 PM 

NO bet but we each had a 2 lb 10oz tomato this year just trying to see how big we can grow one. Two years ago my brother had one 2 lb 14 oz. Maybe one day we can grow a state record tomato , who knows.
Steve
Martinsville In.
Zone 6

Joni
(Login Yodlei44)
Hummingbirder 2008

August 28 2017, 2:07 PM 

Never heard of that variety but I know there are tons.

I'm just waiting for my first one to turn red yet (big type, that is) but some are finally turning so soon, very soon. I grew 'Summer Snack' last year & was very happy with it & it is my first tomato this year. Slice a bunch of them in half & top with blue cheese dressing. YUM!

Sis gave me a 'Cherokee Purple' & had my first BLT with that & used the rest of it sliced with a little salt. Again, YUM!

Joni
Elwood, IL
Zone 5b
[linked image]

Ward Dasey
(Login WardDas)
Hummingbird Moderator 2005

August 28 2017, 2:48 PM 

Things started well with a good early crop by mid July and then all the rain began causing tomatoes to crack and rot on the vine before they were properly ripe. We might have lost something on the order of 500 lbs probably much more. All the rain also wasn't good for flavor. Another big flush of tomatoes is on the way now. Still, we've been eating salsa, tomatoes have been canned and frozen and sliced. Bad weather is always a peril and that will never change. The up side was the same weather led to the best pepper crop I have ever grown or even seen. This has been especially nice after several years of black leaf-spot running wild through the rows. Spent part of the weekend puréeing and freezing hot peppers and soon there will be drying various chili types for grinding into powder. Right now sweet and hot peppers are being eaten in every possible way. By October it may become a little tiresome.

Indy Steve
(Login SteveWnindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

August 28 2017, 5:56 PM 

There is not a lot of info online about Domingo but it is an heirloom from a family in Italy and I had this thought that this might be a special brand of tomato and its proving to be. I still have the packet that was sent to me as a plus/gift that I might want to try, following is the excerpt on the packet. I have been growing this for 2 years.

"Amazing producer of extra large tomatoes, often 2+, up to 6 lbs, clear skin. Vincenzo Domingo who introduced this variety to North America has grown 4 tomatoes on a single truss with total weight of 20 lbs. Sadly Vincenzo passed away on Dec. 2014. Good flavor on a regular leaf indeterminate vines, 71 days. Family heirloom from Castellammare del Golfo, Sicily, Italy"
Steve
Martinsville In.
Zone 6

This message has been edited by SteveWnindy on Aug 28, 2017 5:58 PM

Priya
(Login Priya_S)
Hummingbird Member 2006

August 28 2017, 11:03 PM 

Wow, Steve! That is one impressive tomato. Congratulations! I must look for this variety for next year.
Ward, have you ever been to Cross Country Nurseries in Stockton, NJ? They have an astounding array of peppers and eggplants, a decent selection of tomatoes and possibly the healthiest plants I have ever seen.

Priya
Zone 7, Maryland

Ward Dasey
(Login WardDas)

August 29 2017, 8:23 AM 

Priya, I never heard of the nursery. For the past 30 or so years I have grown my tomatoes and most of my peppers from seed. Mostly I use two companies, Seed Savers Exchange and Southern Seed Exchange. They have the heirloom tomatoes I like to grow and theirs is a good cause, the preservation of legacy seed types. Peppers are a slightly different story since disease is such a problem with them. In the peppers case some of the recent types resist diseases that have caused so many problems for growers. A classic example is a new Bell Pepper cultivar developed by Rutgars in NJ. A single packet of seed cost $22.00 but the plants are now 4 feet tall and filled with monster thick walled bells.

The other reason I don't purchase plants is also disease. Big growers do their best to keep their plants disease free but it is a difficult if not impossible task on the scales they work with. Too often extra bought pepper plants appear to have introduced infections to the garden so now I practice complete quarantine.

Priya
(Login Priya_S)
Hummingbird Member 2006

August 29 2017, 10:07 PM 

Ward, that's an interesting observation about diseases. I had not thought about that. Until 9 years ago I grew from seed but other things took over and I switched to getting plants. In addition to the two companies you mentioned I also love Baker Creek Heirloom and Tomato Growers Supply.
Is the Rutgers pepper available commercially or only from the University? All my peppers are in containers due to marauding groundhogs. I usually hesitate to plant bells due to limited space and their relatively low yield but this one sounds like it would be worth it.

Priya
Zone 7, Maryland

Ward Dasey
(Login WardDas)

August 30 2017, 10:01 AM 

I forget offhand the name of the seed company but if you search Turnpike Bell Pepper you will find them. Like you I had given up on bells in the past few years since they invariably failed, under produced and wasted valuable space. Maybe this year the price will come down on the bell, $22.00 is a lot to pay for a single packet of seed but it was worth it. I had never tried to grow peppers in pots until this year when I potted up a couple of types for a friend who had just bought a condo with a deck that overlooked the Delaware River - a Thai Pepper and a Sweet Banana. He is thrilled with both. Figuring out what is worth growing for him is a whole new mental challenge.

Joni
(Login Yodlei44)
Hummingbirder 2008

September 2 2017, 2:46 PM 

Stokes is showing Turnpike for just over $6 a pack. Never heard of that one & will be noting both it & Steve's tomato for next season.

Priya,
Thanks for mentioning Baker Creek. I recall the name but had forgotten about them.

Finally picked my first 2 big 'uns. BLT for dinner tonight with some slices with salt on the side.

Joni
Elwood, IL
Zone 5b
[linked image]

Indy Steve
(Login SteveWnindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

September 3 2017, 12:40 PM 

For those that save tomato seed you should remember that you can depend on heirloom varieties to be the same each year, but for hybrids its not the same and you need to get a new plant or order new seed or as Forest Gump says "you never know what youre going to get". Big Zak is another variety I grow [hybrid] mainly for its potential size. Current record for Big Zak is just over 8 lbs.
Steve
Martinsville In.
Zone 6

Cathy P (Downers Grove, IL Zone 5b)
(Login Bazuhi)
Hummingbird Lover 2014

September 8 2017, 10:47 AM 

Have you ever tried Anna Russian? I have tried a bunch
of new maters and boy the Anna Russian gets big!!!
Cathy P
A Hummingbird Fan in Downers Grove, Illinois
Zone 5a
bazuhi@sbcglobal.net
See My Hummingbird Gardens and Plants
https://www.facebook.com/Cathy-Ps-Hummingbird-Gardens-885457968170727/photos_stream?tab=photos_albums

Find more about Weather in Downers Grove, IL

Indy Steve
(Login SteveWnindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

September 8 2017, 11:50 AM 

Cathy

No I have not tried Anna Russian. But I will be trying "Mortgage Lifter" next season. There was a guy came in to where my brother hangs out with a photo of a ML that weighed 4.5 lb, so I have seed to try on that one.
Steve
Martinsville In.
Zone 6

Ward Dasey
(Login WardDas)

September 8 2017, 1:31 PM 

I used to grow Mortgage Lifter back in the 1990s. It does get large and tastes OK but it wasn't productive enough for my purposes. On thing for certain, it does make large tomatoes.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
TinyPic image hosting site
TinyPic is a free picture hosting site (ad supported) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Tinypic link above; Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload Now; Copy the Direct Link for Layouts; Paste that code in your message.

Postimage hosting site
Postimage is a free picture hosting site (with some ads) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Postimage link above; Browse for your picture by clicking on Choose Image.; Select your image and Open; Highlight and Copy the Hotlink for website ; Paste that code in your message.

PLEASE VISIT OUR OTHER SITES:
Feathered Friends The Butterfly Forum The Brugmansia Forum

map_v2.png?u=h2sm&d=9lixPygMc1t0CHHPqCRs

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

The Hummingbird Forum was founded on September 15, 2005
Keeping hummingbirds alive in cold weather
web analytics