<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Queston for: Nancy Newfield

August 28 2017 at 5:19 PM
Dylan  (Login utahxericman)
Hummingbird Lover 2016

Nancy,
I have sent you a private e-mail, it is in regards to the Hummingbird Monitoring Network and to your opinion on them. Thanks hope to hear back from you soon.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Douglas
(Login DouglasE)
Hummingbird lover 2013

Re: Queston for: Nancy Newfield

August 28 2017, 5:42 PM 

It is a great organization that is 100% focused on hummingbirds.

Educational and scientific.

And does much cross-border educational and training activities.

Here is some of their data from a single week in eight (8) locations in the west.
http://www.hummonnet.org/Summary%20Report/MonitoringSummary2017_Session13.pdf

They also have a Training Workshop for Hummingbird Banding
September 2-10, 2017, AMNH Southwestern Research Station, near Portal, Arizona
http://www.hummonnet.org/HMN%20Training%20Workshop%20Announcement%20-%20AZ%20Sept%202017.pdf
Pax,
Douglas
Foothills of the Santa Catalina Mountains
Tucson, Arizona

This message has been edited by DouglasE on Aug 28, 2017 5:55 PM

Ken
(Login 5strings)
Hummingbirder 2010

August 28 2017, 7:54 PM 

I doubt Nancy has this forum on her mind these days with Harvey so close... Nancy, I hope all goes well down there the next few days!!!

sad.gif

Ken
Central NJ
USDA Zone 6
:c)

Dylan
(Login utahxericman)
Hummingbird Lover 2016

August 28 2017, 8:01 PM 

Douglas,
Yes thank you for the info, I am planning on attending the training workshop. Yes Harvey is wreaking havoc down south, hopefully Nancy is fine and doesn't have too much to worry about I know the Houston area is and has been hammered by flooding, haven't seen if Louisiana is getting the same treatment.

Ken
(Login 5strings)
Hummingbirder 2010

August 28 2017, 8:47 PM 

I heard on the news tonight that the heavy bands of rain are slowly moving east and that it might be a problem for Louisiana.
Central NJ
USDA Zone 6
:c)

Nancy Newfield
(Login humband1)
Hummingbird Member 2005

August 28 2017, 10:33 PM 

Dylan, yes, I received your message. I was tired when I got home from continuing physical therapy and I plan to respond to you in the morning. We are a bit tense here with the tropical situation. The east side of a hurricane gets the majority of the rainfall - and we are on the east. We started August having had about 16 inches more precipitation than average for the year and August has had a good bit of rainfall.

As of late yesterday, we had not received more than a sprinkle from Hurricane Harvey and it seemed as if we might escape the wrath of the storm although weather predictions were for abundant thunderstorms. It was not raining when I left the house, but the sky opened up when I was halfway to the wellness center just 3 miles from home. It was a tense drive to get there and I got pretty wet just getting from my van to the building, but it was almost over when I finished an hour and a half later. We got nearly 4 inches more water in that short period of time. Fortunately, nothing like the rain the upper Texas coast received and, fortunately, I can stay in tomorrow.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Nancy L Newfield
Casa Colibrí
Metairie, LA USA
nancy@casacolibri.net
Find more about Weather in Metairie, LA
Click for weather forecast

Kathi and Michael Rock
(Login kathirock)
Hummingbird Member 2006

August 29 2017, 2:06 AM 

Dylan, we heard this group do a program at the Sedona Hummingbird Festival one year and they seem very organized, dedicated, and knowledgeable. I think it would be a great project to become associated with.

Nancy, glad Harvey has not been a big deal for Louisiana yet. I hope it stays that way!!
Michael and Kathi Rock
Madison, WI
Zone 5

[linked image]

Dylan
(Login utahxericman)
Hummingbird Lover 2016

August 29 2017, 4:12 PM 

Nancy,
Glad you are ok and not getting the rain like Texas, I hope you don't get the rain like Texas either. I will wait your reply.

Kathi,
From everthing that I can tell they seem like a good organization and they do seem to be well organized, I was hoping to attend their banding workshop, but I may have found out about it too late, my supervisors at work are taking their time and seem to be changing their mind with little time to do so, so I am keeping my fingers crossed that it will work out and that I'll be able to attend.

Dylan
(Login utahxericman)
Hummingbird Lover 2016

September 14 2017, 12:31 AM 

Participated in the workshop, it was fantastic! Lee and Susan (and the others) were excellent instructors on the art of hummingbird banding we banded hundreds of hummingbirds and 10 different species (Anna's, Allen's, Black Chinned, Blue Throated, Broad Billed, Broad Tailed, Calliope, Lucifer, Rufous, and Rivoli's). I am hooked on banding these little guys such a blast!

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Search the Hummingbird Forum using Google search:
TinyPic image hosting site
TinyPic is a free picture hosting site (ad supported) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Tinypic link above; Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload Now; Copy the Direct Link for Layouts; Paste that code in your message.

Postimage hosting site
Postimage is a free picture hosting site (with some ads) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Postimage link above; Browse for your picture by clicking on Choose Image.; Select your image and Open; Highlight and Copy the Hotlink for website ; Paste that code in your message.

PLEASE VISIT OUR OTHER SITES:
Feathered Friends The Butterfly Forum The Brugmansia Forum

map_v2.png?u=h2sm&d=9lixPygMc1t0CHHPqCRs

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

The Hummingbird Forum was founded on September 15, 2005
Keeping hummingbirds alive in cold weather
web analytics