Click for Forecast for 53121 from weatherUSA

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
D_Kleiser
(Login D_Kleiser)
Hummingbird lover 2011

Re: At a Gardenmeister Fuschia

August 29 2017, 9:38 PM 

Ilena, Very nice photo. I've grow Gartenmeister in the past, and it did get some use. A great looking plant this time of year. With two plants of equal size side by side, Cuphea x David Verity was much preferred by our hummingbirds.
Far west Chicago 'Burbs, Zone 5a
Click for Forecast for 60139 from weatherUSA

Cathy P (Downers Grove, IL Zone 5b)
(Login Bazuhi)
Hummingbird Lover 2014

August 29 2017, 9:39 PM 

I was happy I actually cut my old
plant back big time and it made it and it is doing
great but little use to much other stuff
Cathy P
A Hummingbird Fan in Downers Grove, Illinois
Zone 5a
bazuhi@sbcglobal.net
See My Hummingbird Gardens and Plants
https://www.facebook.com/Cathy-Ps-Hummingbird-Gardens-885457968170727/photos_stream?tab=photos_albums

Find more about Weather in Downers Grove, IL
Click for weather forecast

Fran
(Login happyhummer)
Hummingbird Lover 2015

August 29 2017, 10:24 PM 

Wow, what a prolific bloomer! Great shot! I'm envious.

Fran
Lakeview, OR
Zone 4/5

Ward Dasey
(Login WardDas)
Hummingbird Moderator 2005

August 30 2017, 11:54 AM 

If you haven't tried Fuchsia magellanica you might want to consider it. Years ago it was the talk of the forum by folks from the Pacific Northwest.

Ilena
(Login Cheddarchick)
Hummingbird Lover 2016

August 30 2017, 8:21 PM 

Hi Ward...
Haven't heard of that one....I move this plant inside every year and it just keeps on being spectacular...
Ilena Zone 5 Elkhorn, WI

Click for Forecast for 53121 from weatherUSA

Joni
(Login Yodlei44)
Hummingbirder 2008

September 2 2017, 2:17 PM 

Another plant I never saw a Hummer use that was touted as great. I sometimes still buy it since I can get it & 'Firecracker' cheap but have no shade now whatsoever so I passed the past couple of years. Had magellanica before & still no use.

Patrick, a forum member (I miss him & wonder if he is ok?), was big on Fuschias. He had mentioned 'Golden Marinka' before & I was very surprised to have found it locally one year. Still no use but it was pretty.

Joni
Elwood, IL
Zone 5b
[linked image]

Ron
(Login RonDEZone7a)
Hummingbirder 2008

September 8 2017, 10:11 AM 

I've grown both Gartenmeister fuchsias and Fuchsia magellanica, as well as a newer heat tolerant fuchsia called "Angels Earrings" (from Plant Delights - bottom photo), and none seem to get visited by hummers that much. Mine seem to go to other flowers I grow, like Salvia "Amistad" and Cuphia "David Verity", in preference to all the fuchsias.

Fuchsia magellanica is hardy here in Zone 7a (Delaware) but it dies right to the ground in winter and can return a little slowly in spring. The location can be a little tricky as they do poorly in hot sunny spots but also don't flower well in heavy shade. A bright spot where most direct sun is blocked seems to work out here. Getting the soil right can be tricky too - too wet and they don't over-winter successfully.
[linked image]

Below is "Angels Earring" (I got from Plant Delights). If you like traditional hanging fuchsias, this one is amazingly heat tolerant. I've had several potted specimens surviving for years. They probably don't like to be roasted in FULL sun but they do fine in half-day sun and will bloom all summer, if kept moist. I over-winter mine in my greenhouse shed, with a minimum temp around 32'F, but they are supposedly Zone 7a hardy, if left in the ground.
[linked image]

[linked image]

But neither of the above fuchsias, or Gartenmeister, has ever generated much interest from hummers in my garden. I guess there may be regional preferences or maybe it depends on what else is available?
Wilmington, Delaware
USDA zone 7a
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 32
[linked image]

This message has been edited by RonDEZone7a on Sep 8, 2017 10:29 AM

Indy Steve
(Login SteveWnindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

September 8 2017, 12:22 PM 

Ron

Wow! Angels Earring- great looking hanging plant. Im also growing a fuchsia not sure what kind but it has done well although small, but with plenty of flowers of which the hummers have used often. As a rule Im not a very good hanging plant person as there is little shade here, so mine goes under a covered porch, gets morning sun.
Steve
Martinsville In.
Zone 6

Find more about Weather in Martinsville, IN
Click for weather forecast

Lori
(Login Canyoneagle)
Hummingbird Lover 2015

September 8 2017, 12:57 PM 

Hello Everyone!

I have grown Gartenmeister Fuschia in my hummer gardens in every place I have lived. It did well and got decent use by Ruby-throated Hums in Virginia, good use by Black-chinned Hums in Texas, and good use by Anna's and Rufous Hums here. The Rufous seem to like it in particular.

I grew many hum plants in Virginia, so it had a lot of competition, but hums still used it on occasion. My hum garden in Texas was limited because of heat, drought, and rock. So I was glad for the GF because, as long as I kept it watered, it hung in there when many other plants gave up the ghost. And I really appreciate it here in Eugene because it does well in my backyard hum garden where I only get about 3 hours of direct sun. It is the only hum plant I have found that blooms well in that spot.

Also wanted to send prayers and good wishes to everyone who got hit by Harvey, and to those in Irma's path. Please take care.

Lori
Eugene, OR
zone 8b

Ron
(Login RonDEZone7a)
Hummingbirder 2008

September 8 2017, 3:26 PM 

'Gartenmeister Bonstedt' is certainly an adaptable fuchsia, thriving in sun to shade. I believe the original species (Fuchsia triphylla) originates from the Caribbean - which, if so, explains the heat and sun tolerance. I plant some every year. But for me, they haven't been a favorite of the hummingbirds.

[linked image]
Wilmington, Delaware
USDA zone 7a
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 32
[linked image]

Dan
(Login hawkeye_wx)
Hummingbird lover 2009

September 8 2017, 4:48 PM 

I used to grow this in a pot on the patio. I liked the way it looked, but hummers ignored it.
East-central Iowa
Zone 5a

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
TinyPic image hosting site
TinyPic is a free picture hosting site (ad supported) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Tinypic link above; Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload Now; Copy the Direct Link for Layouts; Paste that code in your message.

Postimage hosting site
Postimage is a free picture hosting site (with some ads) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Postimage link above; Browse for your picture by clicking on Choose Image.; Select your image and Open; Highlight and Copy the Hotlink for website ; Paste that code in your message.

PLEASE VISIT OUR OTHER SITES:
Feathered Friends The Butterfly Forum The Brugmansia Forum

map_v2.png?u=h2sm&d=9lixPygMc1t0CHHPqCRs

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

The Hummingbird Forum was founded on September 15, 2005
Keeping hummingbirds alive in cold weather
web analytics