<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

New feeder

August 30 2017 at 7:20 PM
Pauline  (Login Daisypoo)
Hummingbird Lover 2017

Hi All,

I had a basic plastic 8 dollar feeder, red with yellow flowers. The birdies would come all day. Just bought a fancy 27 dollar vintage glass one, and it has been up for 3 days now and they will not feed from it. To begin with they came to drink, hovered close then flew off, now they don't even come close. I'm gutted. Have I wasted my money, should I go back to the cheap plastic one?
Thanks
Pauline

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Ken
(Login 5strings)
Hummingbirder 2010

Re: New feeder

August 30 2017, 8:06 PM 

Obviously you liked the feeder, I say use both. They just might get used to the feeder and use it. You said birdIES, so there is an advantage to having more than one feeder.

I recall seeing a glass feeder repro of a feeder from the 1800's, is this the feeder you bought?

Ken
Central NJ
USDA Zone 6
:c)

Nathan
(Login nmotz06)
Hummingbird lover 2013

August 30 2017, 9:19 PM 

Does it have any bright red on it? I've seen some old vintage looking feeders that have no red coloring and when they are filled with clear sugar water solution (as they should be!) they often don't attract as many hummingbirds. In my experience, the feeder has to "advertise" well or it might be passed over. One idea you could try is hanging it beneath a large red ant moat. Seems like my ant moats attract almost as many hummingbirds as my feeders. A visiting bird might poke the side of the ant moat a few times before checking out the feeder. I've seen my birds do that on many occasions.
Nathan Motz
Deridder, Louisiana

Kathi and Michael Rock
(Login kathirock)
Hummingbird Member 2006

August 31 2017, 4:05 AM 

I agree that sometimes decorative feeders don't have enough red on them to attract hummingbirds. There is a lot to be said for going with basic (and not terribly expensive) feeders. Our two best feeder models (and we've tried a lot) are the Perky Pet Pinch Waist (Four Fountains) with perches and the First Nature original style feeder (not the remodel.) The best feeder to use is a feeder that hummingbirds will use and that's very easy to clean.
Michael and Kathi Rock
Madison, WI
Zone 5

[linked image]

Joe M.
(Login flhummer)
Hummingbirder 2012

August 31 2017, 6:29 AM 

Pauline,
Curiosity leads me to believe that the feeder might not have been designed for hummers but rather for human aesthetic appeal. Most feeders that are quickly used are feeders which imbed the feeding port in the center of an artificial rendition of a flower. I well remember the first year I bought an Aspect feeder that was not used by the hummers until my wife painted flower "petals" around the ports. Bingo! they probed the center of the petals and it immediately got used a lot, continues to this day and since the use of feeders is a "learned" behavior one generation of hummers passes the behavior on to the next.

We (I) would like to see a photo of feeder, it might simply be a matter of a dab of paint to solve the problem?
Joe M.
Lakeland, FL

Douglas
(Login DouglasE)
Hummingbird lover 2013

August 31 2017, 9:13 AM 

Hummingbirds are creatures of habit. They are very familiar with the old feeder and that is what they expect day-in and day-out. What to do? Hang the old feeder up near the new. Make sure the old feeder is clean and EMPTY. The birds will go to the old feeder, find out it is empty and then will visit the new feeder.
Pax,
Douglas
Foothills of the Santa Catalina Mountains
Tucson, Arizona

Pauline
(Login Daisypoo)
Hummingbird Lover 2017

August 31 2017, 9:52 AM 

Hi,

Thanks for your replies.

The feeders are as follows:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Perky-Pet-8116-2-24-Oz-Red-Hummingbird-Antique-Bottle-Feeder-/272675433052?epid=691245262&hash=item3f7cb8ea5c:g:86oAAOSw3YJZXqdl

The above is the new glass one.

And;https://articulo.mercadolibre.com.mx/MLM-549590642-bebedero-alimentador-chico-para-colibri-hummingbird-feeder-_JM

The above is the old plastic one.

(I did try posting pics using the photobucket link but it doesn't seem to be working)

You'll see the new one is bright red glass. However the flowers on the new one do not stand out like the plastic yellow flowers. Maybe Joe's suggestion, some bright yellow paint works?

Douglas, I did try hanging the old empty, clean feeder next to the new, but all that happened was they would go to the old one, find it empty and fly off, it left me feeling wicked having teased them happy.gif

Last night I tried hanging the new in a different area, didn't work. This morning, I have left new in different area, but put old one back, that was half an hour ago, since, a little black one has been to feed.

One thing I wonder about, is the old has the yellow flowers at a good angle, maybe 45 degrees for the hovering position, but the new, the flowers are almost flat, making the hovering position around 15 degrees?? Would this make a difference do you think?

Thanks to all, again,
Pauline

Joe M.
(Login flhummer)
Hummingbirder 2012

August 31 2017, 10:46 AM 

Pauline,
Thanks for the photos!
My suggestion is to use some flat yellow acrylic paint on two of the existing red flowers, opposite sides. I'm not partial to gloss enamel coatings regardless of color since flowers are naturally very "soft" in color.
The angle of the port is quite important if perches are part of the feeder A small hummer can't reach out comfortably to put his/her bill in a position to easily insert its bill. A more vertical port is not a problem if its only intended to be used from a hover. I have had to use a "Dremel" tool to grind out the back area of the port to solve the problem. Noted birds actually getting their bills abraded and damaged (top of the bill) as a result of constant rubbing on ports that were too vertical.
Just some thoughts, hope it helps.
Joe M.
Lakeland, FL

Indy Steve
(Login SteveWnindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

August 31 2017, 2:05 PM 

I think most on this forum tend to use feeders that are easy clean and rather basic with wide mouths and those that come apart completely. Keeping feeders clean and mold free are pretty important for keeping hummers healthy. The designer feeders are more for humans to look at ,but the hummers could care less, its just food to them. Also in the link it shows colored sugar water which is not necessary and could be harmful to hummers, best not to use red dye in the water especially when most feeders already have some red on them.
Steve
Martinsville In.
Zone 6

Find more about Weather in Martinsville, IN
Click for weather forecast

Joe M.
(Login flhummer)
Hummingbirder 2012

August 31 2017, 3:26 PM 

Steve,
I don't think the feeder is shown with red dyed solution, the feeder is described as a red glass feeder.
Best I could tell is that the feeders are empty.
Joe M.
Lakeland, FL

Indy Steve
(Login SteveWnindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

August 31 2017, 5:42 PM 

Joe-- Thanks my error.
Steve
Martinsville In.
Zone 6

Pauline
(Login Daisypoo)
Hummingbird Lover 2017

September 7 2017, 10:17 PM 

Well I did as suggested and used a nice bright yellow acrylic paint to paint the flowers.
Put feeder back up but they were still not at all interested.
So I put the old cheap one back up and they all came back to feed almost immediately.
I then hung new red glass one out in the front, in a totally different area. But still no response.
It's odd, this model seems popular, all the reviews are positive, but for some reason, for me it just does not work.
Anyone ant to buy it? Half price happy.gif

Kathi and Michael Rock
(Login kathirock)
Hummingbird Member 2006

September 8 2017, 5:14 AM 

Pauline,

With hummingbirds, you must go with whatever feeder they will use. Their sense of aesthetics will never be the same as ours. We don't usually recommend those decorative feeders to people as they are not very readily used by hummingbirds and can be difficult to clean.
Michael and Kathi Rock
Madison, WI
Zone 5

[linked image]

Cathy P (Downers Grove, IL Zone 5b)
(Login Bazuhi)
Hummingbird Lover 2014

September 8 2017, 10:26 AM 

I ony have 1 jar feeder up for the newbie birds that has yellow
flowers on it, that feeder come later fall is the one that attracts
all the bee's
I have a plastic old feeder I had used many for years that had white flowers
on it that I painted red, the birds used them but they had no perches. These attarct
yellow jackets all year and in fall will fill up with them.
The majority of my feeders are humzinger feeders, a dish-bowl style and no color but
red is on the feeder, I have 3 different sizes some take a it to learn to use them
but all they need to see is one using it and more will come.
I would hang it right next to the other one and eventually one will figure it out
and if not the older ones come spring will def use it.
I purchased at Xmas the bright shiny red xmas curling ribbon and make curly ribbon
clusters to put over my feeders to attract birds from the distance
Cathy P
A Hummingbird Fan in Downers Grove, Illinois
Zone 5a
bazuhi@sbcglobal.net
See My Hummingbird Gardens and Plants
https://www.facebook.com/Cathy-Ps-Hummingbird-Gardens-885457968170727/photos_stream?tab=photos_albums

Find more about Weather in Downers Grove, IL

I love Hummingbirds
(Login Daisypoo)
Hummingbird Lover 2017

September 12 2017, 10:00 AM 

Thanks to all for the various suggestions and comments.

Will try what you said Cathy, hang it up next and also the ribbon.

Indy Steve
(Login SteveWnindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

September 13 2017, 10:59 AM 

OK Regarding the square red feeder pictured from the link, I actually have that feeder. It was given to me as a gift and it is still sitting in the dark cavern of my back shelf having never been used. Rather than disappoint the giver, I dont tell the giver that I dont use it, I just dont use it. As a rule I will use the easy to clean large mouth feeders be it bottle or saucer. Concerning "easy to clean" there is one exception and that is the pp209 30oz glass feeder which I have been using for years, not because I like it but because it is and has been a hummer fav. maybe because of the angle of the ports in relation to the perch. On occasion when mold builds up in the base I do give a bleach soak at a 10-1 ratio, I just deal with it because of the hummers.
Steve
Martinsville In.
Zone 6

Ron
(Login RonDEZone7a)
Hummingbirder 2008

September 13 2017, 3:03 PM 

I just use this very functional feeder. No yellow color to attract bees. Simple design, very to clean. Holes point up - no dripping. Built-in ant moat (I have since employed an additional ant moat). I get plenty of hummers and no bees or wasps. I don't know why anyone bothers with more elaborate designs. Clean feeders and fresh solution are the most important things.

[linked image]
Wilmington, Delaware
USDA zone 7a
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 32
[linked image]

This message has been edited by RonDEZone7a on Sep 13, 2017 3:06 PM

Indy Steve
(Login SteveWnindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

September 13 2017, 11:49 PM 

Ron

I have a similar feeder it is the hummzinger excel 6 port feeder. Didnt use it this summer but usually do use it and hummers have no problem using it.
Steve
Martinsville In.
Zone 6

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
TinyPic image hosting site
TinyPic is a free picture hosting site (ad supported) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Tinypic link above; Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload Now; Copy the Direct Link for Layouts; Paste that code in your message.

Postimage hosting site
Postimage is a free picture hosting site (with some ads) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Postimage link above; Browse for your picture by clicking on Choose Image.; Select your image and Open; Highlight and Copy the Hotlink for website ; Paste that code in your message.

PLEASE VISIT OUR OTHER SITES:
Feathered Friends The Butterfly Forum The Brugmansia Forum

map_v2.png?u=h2sm&d=9lixPygMc1t0CHHPqCRs

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

The Hummingbird Forum was founded on September 15, 2005
Keeping hummingbirds alive in cold weather
web analytics