<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Last of the stragglers

September 2 2017 at 5:07 PM

Joe M.  (Login flhummer)
Hummingbirder 2012

The seasons are changing here in MA and virtually all the migrating hummers have passed through. Still a handful that have been stopping by the last 3-4 days but that's about it. We are heading back to FL next weekend to get away from the 40 degree overnight temperatures and highs in the 60's. Even the locals are complaining about the unusual cooler temps. Hopefully we won't have to extend the trip south by having to divert around the effects of Irma. Harvey's affect on gas prices is enough, although it was expected.
Did go out and was lucky enough to get a couple of photos of one of the stragglers we have. The one with his open bill was interesting, don't catch that very often.

JJM8027_Imm._Male_20170902_160643
JJM8047_Imm._Male_20170902_161621

Joe M.
Lakeland, FL

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Fran
(Login happyhummer)
Hummingbird Lover 2015

Re: Last of the stragglers

September 2 2017, 8:07 PM 

It's hard to leave them, but you'll see some new ones where you're going, maybe even some returnees! Great goodby shots! Enjoy the better weather, but drive safe!

Fran
Lakeview, OR
Zone 4/5

Carol Trego
(Login Imcarol)
Hummingbird Lover 2017

Last of the stragglers

September 2 2017, 9:42 PM 

Joe, excellent images of the stragglers. Maybe you'll get the ones in Canada that are still here.
I'm leaving for home tomorrow and hope to see some when I get there.

Carol Trego
New Cumberland, Pennsylvania USA
Zone 6b

Indy Steve
(Login SteveWnindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

September 3 2017, 12:24 PM 

There are a few hummers still passing thru my area. Ive had this one adult male for the last 3-4 days of which it does seem like its the same bird as he perches on the same tomato cage chasing away all he comers and hes rather busy at that. Its just a matter of time before he moves on, but Im enjoying seeing him for as long as it lasts, hes still here today 3rd. Salvia oxyphora still getting plenty of attention from bees and hummers.
Steve
Martinsville In.
Zone 6

Find more about Weather in Martinsville, IN
Click for weather forecast

Bird lover
(Login WardDas)
Hummingbird Moderator 2005

September 3 2017, 7:55 PM 

The last couple of days were stronger than average for the date. This evening the action was much reduced. They must have tanked up in early morning and hit the road. Cold weather coming, time to go.

Rhonda
(Login rvird01)
Hummingbird Lover 2014

Last of the stragglers

September 3 2017, 11:30 PM 

Joe,
Beautiful pics as usual. I'm waiting for your hummers to come visit me happy.gif

Rhonda
Englewood, Florida 10a

Click for Forecast for 34224 from weatherUSA

Indy Steve
(Login SteveWnindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

September 4 2017, 1:12 PM 

Still have at least one adult male here today 4th. Plus some immatures.
Steve
Martinsville In.
Zone 6

Indy Steve
(Login SteveWnindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

September 5 2017, 3:39 PM 

In spite of me I have at least one adult male hanging on. By that I mean I was out back putting together a addon bed for growing a few veggies and in spite my presence there this hummer surely didnt stray too far just yet.

I mainly added this bed as a place to store some of my homemade compost which will continue to make over the winter. This compost was in a separate bed I used for some tomatoes.

DeJuh6u.jpg

4nIyod1.jpg
Steve
Martinsville In.
Zone 6

This message has been edited by SteveWnindy on Sep 5, 2017 3:41 PM

Joe M.
(Login flhummer)
Hummingbirder 2012

September 6 2017, 7:23 AM 

I'm getting down to the bottom of the barrel here, Steve.
Have not seen a bird at my most reliable little bottle feeders this morning. Out front an adult female has been a regular for 3 days now and she was tanking up at daybreak and later a young bird made a flyby that she ignored. Right now we have a heavy downpour and she is happy by sheltering under the eves on the feeder.

JJM8090_Female20170906_080726
As usual double pane windows are pain for shooting through.

Postscript 3 min. later saw an immature at the back yard bottle grasping the wire out of the rain.
Joe M.
Lakeland, FL

This message has been edited by flhummer on Sep 6, 2017 8:38 AM

Nathan
(Login nmotz06)
Hummingbird lover 2013

September 6 2017, 1:08 PM 

Cold front just pushed through early this morning. Saw in the vicinity of 35-40 birds (estimated) between my 4 feeders at around 0645, but expect my numbers will be dropping throughout the day.
Nathan Motz
Deridder, Louisiana

Kathi and Michael Rock
(Login kathirock)
Hummingbird Member 2006

September 6 2017, 2:37 PM 

We have unusually low numbers of hummingbirds here in Madison for this time of year (we have been keeping careful track for 19 years.) Additionally, we have daytime temperatures in the low to mid-60's and in the low 50's and upper 40's at night. It almost feels like late October and that all of our hummingbirds should be completely gone. We can only hope that this is the calm before the storm and that we will see our usual peak numbers of hummers for our upcoming Garden Tours on September 10 and 13.

Joe, very nice photos of your last birds. I'm sure you look at these photos with much fondness during the winter.
Michael and Kathi Rock
Madison, WI
Zone 5

[linked image]

Dan
(Login hawkeye_wx)
Hummingbird lover 2009

September 6 2017, 3:04 PM 

It is similar here, Kathi. I'm only seeing the one adult male and six immatures. However, the last two years have been the same in early September, and both years had a mid-month surge.
East-central Iowa
Zone 5a

Kathi and Michael Rock
(Login kathirock)
Hummingbird Member 2006

September 6 2017, 3:34 PM 

Dan,

What you have going on reflects what we have seen in prior years for this particular date (we keep written records). Right now, we are having one hummingbird sighting during the day and two hummingbirds at dusk and our adult male appears to have departed. We have never seen numbers this low on September 6.
Michael and Kathi Rock
Madison, WI
Zone 5

[linked image]

Indy Steve
(Login SteveWnindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

September 6 2017, 4:44 PM 

I Still have one adult male and maybe 6 immatures.
Steve
Martinsville In.
Zone 6

Ward
(Login WardDas)
Hummingbird Moderator 2005

September 8 2017, 9:33 AM 

Yesterday evening activity was very strong for this date. There were at least 10 at once dashing around the garden. Why so many so late? It seems likely that there was high late nesting success in New Jersey. In the past we've seen fledging as late as the first half of September. We didn't see any nest destroying really heavy rain and wind so that may be the reason.

This assumes that the young birds that first appeared in mid July are long gone by now which admittedly is an assumption. One of the unknowns surrounding Ruby-throated nesting is what the fledged bird do. They obviously disperse across the landscape but when does dispersal become migration? We can't even be sure in which direction those first fledged birds might disperse to. Reports from the deep south don't seem to show much in the way of early arrivals so what happens?

Here is an example of dispersal by a bird we all know - Robin. Some years my park at mid summer fills up with Robins, hundreds sometimes thousands. Nearly all are still spot-breasted. It gets hard to find the few adults among the mobs of kids. Those birds by and large didn't nest there. They were booted from Robin nesting territories. Hummingbird culture is somewhat different but Robin does provide a bit of a template. I see it with other common species in my own yard, Common Yellowthroat is a prime example.

Cathy P (Downers Grove, IL Zone 5b)
(Login Bazuhi)
Hummingbird Lover 2014

September 8 2017, 10:16 AM 

Yesterday I had a large amount of hummingbirds, a little early for me
but I would have to say minimum of 15 birds, this is early
for me to have this high of a count but they are easy to
count the ones in the yard and I added 3 for the back side of the house and driveway
area where I can't be at to count. They have set up their protection
perches where they go after chasing and I can stand on my deck and count those
but not the other areas of the house.
Last year this number was experienced 12th-18th of September.
Will they migrate due to the chill or the daylight hours?
Cathy P
A Hummingbird Fan in Downers Grove, Illinois
Zone 5a
bazuhi@sbcglobal.net
See My Hummingbird Gardens and Plants
https://www.facebook.com/Cathy-Ps-Hummingbird-Gardens-885457968170727/photos_stream?tab=photos_albums

Find more about Weather in Downers Grove, IL

Dan
(Login hawkeye_wx)
Hummingbird lover 2009

September 8 2017, 10:23 AM 

My last adult male appears to have left, so it's possible that may be it for them this season. Regarding overall activity, feeder use here is at a record low for this time of year. One feeder, which is often the favorite, was barely even touched over the last three days. I put out about sixteen ounces of nectar, total, three days ago, but no more than four ounces was consumed in that period. I'm still seeing seven hummers in the evening, but they are almost exclusively flower feeders. This is normally prime time for feeder use.
East-central Iowa
Zone 5a

Dan
(Login hawkeye_wx)
Hummingbird lover 2009

September 8 2017, 10:23 AM 

My last adult male appears to have left, so it's possible that may be it for them this season. Regarding overall activity, feeder use here is at a record low for this time of year. One feeder, which is often the favorite, was barely even touched over the last three days. I put out about sixteen ounces of nectar, total, three days ago, but no more than four ounces was consumed in that period. I'm still seeing seven hummers in the evening, but they are almost exclusively flower feeders. This is normally prime time for feeder use.

I'm still counting on a mid-month surge. Despite the recent strong cold front, I'm still seeing zero bird migration of any kind. I've been going out first thing in the morning to look for warblers or anything else, but it has been dead quiet. Hopefully, that means they, along with a lot of hummers, are all still up north.
East-central Iowa
Zone 5a

This message has been edited by hawkeye_wx on Sep 8, 2017 10:26 AM

Ron
(Login RonDEZone7a)
Hummingbirder 2008

September 8 2017, 10:29 AM 

I'm still having plenty of hummingbird activity in my northern Delaware garden. I'm guessing it's a lot of new migrants and immatures, as they all are not familiar with my feeders (which are full of very fresh nectar). They are mainly buzzing around my flowers, especially Cuphea "David Verity" and Salvia "Amistad". Then later in the day, some seem to try the feeders and can be seen "tanking up".
Wilmington, Delaware
USDA zone 7a
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 32
[linked image]

Indy Steve
(Login SteveWnindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

September 8 2017, 11:53 AM 

My adult male is still here today , each day I expect to not see him so I make a special effort to keep the liquid fresh.
Seems odd to still have one in my area considering last season the last hummer I saw was late sept.

This particular male seems to just sit on the tomato cage on guard most of the time hardly taking time to eat.
Steve
Martinsville In.
Zone 6

This message has been edited by SteveWnindy on Sep 8, 2017 12:06 PM

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
TinyPic image hosting site
TinyPic is a free picture hosting site (ad supported) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Tinypic link above; Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload Now; Copy the Direct Link for Layouts; Paste that code in your message.

Postimage hosting site
Postimage is a free picture hosting site (with some ads) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Postimage link above; Browse for your picture by clicking on Choose Image.; Select your image and Open; Highlight and Copy the Hotlink for website ; Paste that code in your message.

PLEASE VISIT OUR OTHER SITES:
Feathered Friends The Butterfly Forum The Brugmansia Forum

map_v2.png?u=h2sm&d=9lixPygMc1t0CHHPqCRs

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

The Hummingbird Forum was founded on September 15, 2005
Keeping hummingbirds alive in cold weather
web analytics