<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Irma

September 5 2017 at 1:47 PM
Joni  (Login Yodlei44)
Hummingbirder 2008

Doesn't sound good & has already broken records. I know it's early yet but hope all of our FL members stay safe & hope for the best. I didn't know anyone in Southern TX (a childhood friend had moved from Beaumont many years ago) but I know quite a few people who live in FL.

Joni
Elwood, IL
Zone 5b

[linked image]

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Bob - Lexington, Ky. 6a
(Premier Login bob2aa)
Owner

Re: Irma

September 5 2017, 9:06 PM 

This could be another major catastrophe.

[linked image]

[linked image]

------------------------
Regards, Bob

Click for Forecast for 40503 from weatherUSA

This message has been edited by bob2aa on Sep 5, 2017 11:16 PM

Rhonda
(Login rvird01)
Hummingbird Lover 2014

Irma

September 5 2017, 11:52 PM 

Thanks Joni. Hopefully, we'll get follow-ups from everyone in Florida after she passes.

This is the first hurricane since I've been in Florida that really has me scared. Maybe because it's the first one since I moved to SW Florida on the Gulf coast. I had a false sense of security when I lived in the boondocks outside of Williston in north central Florida. And, I now have many more family members down here to worry about...all spread around the state.

We're staying put. Joe doesn't want to leave. We're so far south that it would take a day sitting on the highway to get out of Florida....776 heading north was bumper to bumper already this afternoon.

We're heading to the clubhouse Saturday morning as it is our designated shelter. Loading our week's supply of non-perishable food and water, clothes and valuables into the car to take with us. Everything else will have to survive on prayers and luck.

Tomorrow, I'm taking pictures of EVERYTHING inside and outside of the house for insurance purposes. It will be impossible to remember what we have if we have a catastrophe and are panicking.

Praying for everyone in Irma's path.

Rhonda

Englewood, Florida 10a

Click for Forecast for 34224 from weatherUSA

This message has been edited by rvird01 on Sep 6, 2017 12:04 AM

Joe M.
(Login flhummer)
Hummingbirder 2012

September 6 2017, 4:24 AM 

FL may well catch a break.

Spaghetti models are showing a consistent change in the expected path to the east of the FL peninsula.

That's good news but for the fickle nature of mother nature!

Our quandary is how to get back to FL this next week, through the very messy travel weather it will cause?

[linked image]

Joe M.
Lakeland, FL

This message has been edited by flhummer on Sep 6, 2017 4:29 AM

I love Hummingbirds
(Login flhummer)
Hummingbirder 2012

September 6 2017, 10:17 AM 

And the latest but this leaves out the NHC track which is still going up the middle Lake O. and straight towards Jacksonville.
https://www.cyclocane.com/irma-spaghetti-models/
Joe M.
Lakeland, FL

Tom B
(Login tbyrnes)
Hummingbird Member 2006

September 6 2017, 10:27 AM 

Very relieved to hear that it now look more likely that the storm will pass to the east of Florida. Rhonda, Tom M., Burke, and Joe are all closer to the west coast. I'm in the middle of Central Florida.

Yesterday I was frightened. Today I'm feeling much better.

There are some disadvantages to living in Florida.
Click for Forecast for 34711 from weatherUSA

Joe M.
(Login flhummer)
Hummingbirder 2012

For FL Residents

September 6 2017, 11:49 AM 

We also like this Bay News 9 link for the interactive info that can be found.
Down at the bottom just make sure you have "spaghetti tracks" selected. Zooming in will reveal more data for each track and by clicking the + banner for the track it reveals more data.

http://www.baynews9.com/weather/klystron9.html
Joe M.
Lakeland, FL

Kathi and Michael Rock
(Login kathirock)
Hummingbird Member 2006

September 6 2017, 2:39 PM 

While we won't know for sure for another day or two, it is looking more and more like Irma won't be affecting the continental U.S. We can only hope for that after the devastation of Harvey.

Whatever happens, we hope that our Florida members will be safe and take care.
Michael and Kathi Rock
Madison, WI
Zone 5

[linked image]

Dan
(Login hawkeye_wx)
Hummingbird lover 2009

September 6 2017, 3:00 PM 

Actually, this morning's model runs are bad news for Florida as models have inched back westward. All models have the eye moving north right over Miami or just offshore with the western eyewall hitting the coast. Our best model is the worst one.

Still, this is four days out. Irma can still end up 50 miles farther east, which would spare Florida the real bad stuff.
East-central Iowa
Zone 5a

This message has been edited by hawkeye_wx on Sep 6, 2017 3:01 PM

Joe M.
(Login flhummer)
Hummingbirder 2012

September 6 2017, 5:04 PM 

Ouch! Kathi you just burst my bubble, but at least I now know the SE is not part of the Continental US.

A cousin of mine just closed on a home on Hilton Head SC and they have not even moved in yet. They are really on "pins
and needles"! Can't imagine their thoughts right now.

Joe M.
Lakeland, FL

Tony
(Login rwingsfan)
Hummingbird Lover 2017

September 6 2017, 9:50 PM 

Damn, very good friends of ours live in Key west, here is hoping
Tony Castelline
Rural Des Moines Iowa
5B

Click for Forecast for 50313 from weatherUSA

Dan
(Login hawkeye_wx)
Hummingbird lover 2009

September 7 2017, 2:23 PM 

Bad news from the morning models. All models shifted at least a bit west. The track is now from scraping the coast to just west of Miami. The best model, the european, shifted farthest west, and now takes the eye into the northern keys, then through the everglades and right up the middle of florida all the way to georgia.
East-central Iowa
Zone 5a

Joe M.
(Login flhummer)
Hummingbirder 2012

September 7 2017, 6:04 PM 

Following Dan's post earlier its apparent that the latest 5 PM (Thur.) update is favoring a consensus view that the track may be more inland in FL rather than just hugging the east coast. Considering the avg. error of 75-100 miles in forecasts (2-3 days out) we just need to be keepings a close eye on this potentially monster storm.
Property damage in FL will be significant regardless of Irma's final track (coastal or inland) and heart breaking but will not compare to heartbreak of lost lives.
Material property can be replaced but a lost life can not. To all my friends in FL take all precautions and do everything you can to protect yourself and your loved ones, until Irma is only a memory.

Joe M.
Lakeland, FL

Tom
(Login tbyrnes)
Hummingbird Member 2006

September 8 2017, 9:19 AM 

Starting to sweat this one.

All the keys are under a mandatory evacuation, as are most areas in Miami Beach.

It looks like Homestead will be hard hit. There are a lot of poor people living in that area as well as many of the major plant nurseries in Florida.

Right now they are predicting winds from 80 to 105 miles per hour where I live. If that's all there will be damage, but hopefully nothing major.

Hoping for movement to the East.
Click for Forecast for 34711 from weatherUSA

Cathy P (Downers Grove, IL Zone 5b)
(Login Bazuhi)
Hummingbird Lover 2014

September 8 2017, 10:05 AM 

I don't understand if there is a mandatory evacuation why they are not opening
up the southbound lanes out of the Key's to move the evacuation forward.
Cathy P
A Hummingbird Fan in Downers Grove, Illinois
Zone 5a
bazuhi@sbcglobal.net
See My Hummingbird Gardens and Plants
https://www.facebook.com/Cathy-Ps-Hummingbird-Gardens-885457968170727/photos_stream?tab=photos_albums

Find more about Weather in Downers Grove, IL
Click for weather forecast

Joe M.
(Login flhummer)
Hummingbirder 2012

Last Hummer photos of this Season?

September 8 2017, 10:35 AM 

Took a few yesterday afternoon, the birds are spending a day or two and continuing south.
Latest Irma tracks shows that "home sweet home" is now dead center in the spaghetti. I guess we will see the aftermath when we get there, late next week.
Packing for this trip is different than past years thinking about what we are going to find when we get there.
Hoping for the best!
JJM8121_Immatures20170907_162027
JJM8161_Immatures20170907_163132
JJM8188_Immatures20170907_164227
JJM8196_Immatures20170907_165542
JJM8199_Immatures20170907_165544
Joe M.
Lakeland, FL

Indy Steve
(Login SteveWnindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

September 8 2017, 12:08 PM 

Joe--Hoping for the best for you when you get home in florida.
Steve
Martinsville In.
Zone 6

Find more about Weather in Martinsville, IN
Click for weather forecast

Dan
(Login hawkeye_wx)
Hummingbird lover 2009

September 8 2017, 3:03 PM 

The models have continued to shift even farther west this morning. Now, the best model actually takes the storm into Cuba for nearly a day, which would weaken it, then turns it up just east of Key West, then up to Naples and up the west side of the peninsula.

Good luck Tom, and any other members in the area.
East-central Iowa
Zone 5a

This message has been edited by hawkeye_wx on Sep 8, 2017 3:04 PM

Joe M.
(Login flhummer)
Hummingbirder 2012

September 8 2017, 5:08 PM 

Margin of error for the track of the storm is still about 75 mi. East or West so I am still hoping that we in Central FL. end up on the west side of eye as it passes.
"Hope springs eternal"!
Only solace for those of us with homes and interests in central FL. is that it will most probably lose a lot of its energy and intensity as it moves over land and be a more manageable threat, Cat 1 hurricane!
Still a major problem but at this point I'm lookin for any ray of sunshine and staying optimistic.
In my 70+ years I have never found that my worst expectations have ever occurred. Hopefully this weather event will also prove to be any different than the others, hopefully!

Joe M.
Lakeland, FL

Rhonda
(Login rvird01)
Hummingbird Lover 2014

RE: Irma

September 8 2017, 6:54 PM 

Wishing all my family and friends in Florida, Georgia and the Carolinas the best. Praying that Irma has some mercy on us. Looks like she is going to hit SW Florida and ride up the Gulf coast....we're in for a hard ride.

We took our bedding to the clubhouse shelter this morning and will take food, water and valuables tomorrow morning when we head over to weather the storm. I sure hope that we have a house to return to sad.gif

My oldest son and his girlfriend headed to Ohio this afternoon, praying they make it safely and before this storm hits. My neighbor headed to Alabama yesterday morning and it took her 15 hours to get to Panama City. My cousin's wife, who is a area manager for Columbia, said that a manager in a Miami store traveled to Orlando, a 26 hour drive!!!!!!!!

Went to 2 happy hours (please don't judge, I'm scared shitless). We're all meeting up Tuesday at 1:00 to share stories and make sure that everyone is accounted for.

Just took pictures inside and out of 5 snowbird neighbors' homes for insurance purposes.

Prayers going up for us all. Please let us know how you all fared after this is over.

Rhonda
Englewood, Florida 10a

Click for Forecast for 34224 from weatherUSA

< Previous Page 1 2 3 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Search the Hummingbird Forum using Google search:
TinyPic image hosting site
TinyPic is a free picture hosting site (ad supported) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Tinypic link above; Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload Now; Copy the Direct Link for Layouts; Paste that code in your message.

Postimage hosting site
Postimage is a free picture hosting site (with some ads) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Postimage link above; Browse for your picture by clicking on Choose Image.; Select your image and Open; Highlight and Copy the Hotlink for website ; Paste that code in your message.

PLEASE VISIT OUR OTHER SITES:
Feathered Friends The Butterfly Forum The Brugmansia Forum

map_v2.png?u=h2sm&d=9lixPygMc1t0CHHPqCRs

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

The Hummingbird Forum was founded on September 15, 2005
Keeping hummingbirds alive in cold weather
web analytics