<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>return to index  

Just before the storm

September 9 2017 at 6:10 PM

Mary  (Login Cuyamaca)
Hummingbird Lover 2017

We are having a severe thunderstorm in Julian, CA. All my hummingbirds are going nuts, 20 at least at every feeder. The video only shows three feeders, I have 5 others that are just the same. Then it started pouring and hailing. They can predict a storm in advance (at least a few minutes in advance).
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152784174@N07/shares/7tW06H

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Alex
(Login Sweeper13)
Hummingbird Lover 2014

Re: Just before the storm

September 9 2017, 10:49 PM 

All I have to say is<<<< WOW>>>>>>
Alex
Northlake, Il.
Click for Forecast for 60164 from weatherUSA

Ilena
(Login Cheddarchick)
Hummingbird Lover 2016

September 10 2017, 8:23 AM 

And here I carefully place tons of hummer flowers & thoughtfully placed feeders. And I am so grateful to get my normal 3-5 friends buzzing around. I can't imagine the chaos at this scene...LOL and it looks like it is next to a BMX track and they don't even care.....
Ilena Zone 5 Elkhorn, WI

Click for Forecast for 53121 from weatherUSA

Nathan
(Login nmotz06)
Hummingbird lover 2013

September 10 2017, 9:01 AM 

Wow, that is awesome. I'm definitely loving my new yard here in the East and the Ruby-throated migration, but out in the arid West is where it's at. I'm always surprised out how inhospitable the surrounding natural terrain looks in hummingbird havens like this. Where would all those birds feed without your feeders? Remember each one of those birds would require nectar from the around 2,000 individual flowers per day.
Nathan Motz
Deridder, Louisiana

Mary
(Login Cuyamaca)
Hummingbird Lover 2017

Just before the storm

September 10 2017, 1:11 PM 

Actually it isn't as arid as it looks, that is just a small road that we have on our property. We have LOTS of oak and pine trees for them to sit in. We live in the mountains at 4800' and never thought we would have so many hummingbirds.

Lori
(Login Canyoneagle)
Hummingbird Lover 2015

September 10 2017, 2:26 PM 

That is fantastic, Mary!

Very curious, which species do you get there?

Thanks!

Lori
Eugene, OR
zone 8b

Fran
(Login happyhummer)
Hummingbird Lover 2015

September 10 2017, 9:09 PM 

Holy cow! I can't even imagine keeping up with that crowd!!! Do you have any help? Wish I could help in some way, I will keep positive thoughts for you at least. Hopefully, the storm will pass over quickly!

Fran
Lakeview, OR
Zone 4/5

Mary
(Login Cuyamaca)
Hummingbird Lover 2017

Before the storm

September 14 2017, 7:19 PM 

99% of our hummingbirds are Anna's. They don't migrate, but will go down to a lower elevation when it gets really cold.

I think I need to hire a bird sitter to fix nectar and fill the feeders so I can be gone longer then 6 hrs. at a time. They are definitely running my life (what little I have left of it).

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>return to index  
Search the Hummingbird Forum using Google search:
TinyPic image hosting site
TinyPic is a free picture hosting site (ad supported) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Tinypic link above; Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload Now; Copy the Direct Link for Layouts; Paste that code in your message.

Postimage hosting site
Postimage is a free picture hosting site (with some ads) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Postimage link above; Browse for your picture by clicking on Choose Image.; Select your image and Open; Highlight and Copy the Hotlink for website ; Paste that code in your message.

PLEASE VISIT OUR OTHER SITES:
Feathered Friends The Butterfly Forum The Brugmansia Forum

map_v2.png?u=h2sm&d=9lixPygMc1t0CHHPqCRs

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

The Hummingbird Forum was founded on September 15, 2005
Keeping hummingbirds alive in cold weather
web analytics