<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>return to index  

Question About My Tiny Bully

September 11 2017 at 12:00 PM
Robin  (Login LittleBird64)
Hummingbird Lover 2017

I used to live in a house and had a big backyard. I catered to the birds with numerous feeders and a fabulous garden. For the hummers, I had butterfly bushes and tons of other flowers that they liked plus feeders and I never had an issue with one bird claiming a feeder. Now I live in an apartment and decided to put up feeders on my balcony. Originally, I only had seed feeders but I kept seeing so many hummers that I decided to hang a hummingbird feeder for them too. I had hummers at the new feeder within 5 minutes. For the first few days, several would eat there peacefully together. But then my tiny bully decided to claim the feeder as his own and began running everyone off. He literally sits on the rail below the feeder or perches on top of it all day and night and anytime another bird tries to come near "his" feeder, he chases them off. (he's a Ruby Throated male)

So I decided to hang a second feeder so that the other hummers would have a place to eat and he could have his feeder to himself. I hung it on the opposite side of the balcony so that it would not be close to the little bully's feeder. To my surprise, he has now claimed BOTH feeders! He zips back and forth between the two and chases off anybody that tries to land on his feeders. I'm so frustrated! I love my tiny bully and enjoy watching all the air acrobatics when he's chasing others off, but I just want all the hummers to eat in peace. I've got about 8-10 who come daily, but only 1 gets to eat. Is there anything at all that I can do?

[linked image]

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Ken
(Login 5strings)
Hummingbirder 2010

Re: Question About My Tiny Bully

September 11 2017, 12:10 PM 

If you have windows on a different side of the building as the balcony, and you can SAFELY open a double window to hang a feeder on the other, perhaps you can hang a window feeder. I really like the aspects gem feeder, but if you buy a suction cup hook you can hang any feeder.

Ken
Central NJ
USDA Zone 6
:c)

MIKE
(Login mbleft)
Hummingbird lover 2009

September 11 2017, 10:55 PM 

Nature sees things differently than we do. I only have one feeder and sometimes one bird will claim it. Nothing I can do about it.

Robin
(Login LittleBird64)
Hummingbird Lover 2017

September 12 2017, 2:23 PM 

Mike, I guess you're right. There probably is nothing I can do about it. It's just frustrating to me because I'd love for all of the hummers to be able to eat at the feeders. But this little male is very dominant and aggressive and he's not keen on sharing. This is the first time I've had one bird claim the feeders and not allow anyone else to eat.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>return to index  
Search the Hummingbird Forum using Google search:
TinyPic image hosting site
TinyPic is a free picture hosting site (ad supported) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Tinypic link above; Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload Now; Copy the Direct Link for Layouts; Paste that code in your message.

Postimage hosting site
Postimage is a free picture hosting site (with some ads) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Postimage link above; Browse for your picture by clicking on Choose Image.; Select your image and Open; Highlight and Copy the Hotlink for website ; Paste that code in your message.

PLEASE VISIT OUR OTHER SITES:
Feathered Friends The Butterfly Forum The Brugmansia Forum

map_v2.png?u=h2sm&d=9lixPygMc1t0CHHPqCRs

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

The Hummingbird Forum was founded on September 15, 2005
Keeping hummingbirds alive in cold weather
web analytics