<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>return to index  

Time to take cuttings?

September 11 2017 at 5:15 PM
Indy Steve  (Login SteveWnindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

Seems like a perfect time to start taking cuttings[for next year plants] for those of us who live in colder zones and want to keep certain plants going. Im sure some have already started and I will very soon. Cupheas, Amistad, and Oxyphora are on the list for me. Im going to try and over winter wendys wish in my garage which has an inwall heater.
Steve
Martinsville In.
Zone 6

Find more about Weather in Martinsville, IN
Click for weather forecast

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Ward Dasey
(Login WardDas)
Hummingbird Moderator 2005

Re: Time to take cuttings?

September 12 2017, 7:59 AM 

I took Amistad, Embers Wish and David Verity cuttings a week or so ago. The salvia are blooming from side-shoots so fast that it is difficult to find perfect cutting material. Fortunately the plants are fairly forgiving.

Indy Steve
(Login SteveWnindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

September 12 2017, 5:54 PM 

I had trouble finding any side shoots on my sal oxyphora, but you do what you have to at this time of year. My black and bloom are potted, still debating on the direction to go with those.
Steve
Martinsville In.
Zone 6

Find more about Weather in Martinsville, IN
Click for weather forecast

Linda
(no login)

September 12 2017, 6:13 PM 

I just started some david verity, shumannii, Embers wish, Mulberry Jam, and Betsy's choice. Betsy's choice went limp quick. Will see if I have to take more cuttings.

Dan
(Login hawkeye_wx)
Hummingbird lover 2009

September 13 2017, 1:46 PM 

I'm definitely not looking forward to doing all the cutting work, but I suppose I shouldn't wait too much longer.
East-central Iowa
Zone 5a

Nathan
(Login nmotz06)
Hummingbird lover 2013

September 15 2017, 1:20 PM 

I'm thinking about taking some Cuphea DV cuttings this year. I'd love to have at least 2-3 more in my yard. The one I have now has been blooming since the first week of June and is showing no signs of stopping.
Nathan Motz
Deridder, Louisiana

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>return to index  
Search the Hummingbird Forum using Google search:
TinyPic image hosting site
TinyPic is a free picture hosting site (ad supported) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Tinypic link above; Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload Now; Copy the Direct Link for Layouts; Paste that code in your message.

Postimage hosting site
Postimage is a free picture hosting site (with some ads) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Postimage link above; Browse for your picture by clicking on Choose Image.; Select your image and Open; Highlight and Copy the Hotlink for website ; Paste that code in your message.

PLEASE VISIT OUR OTHER SITES:
Feathered Friends The Butterfly Forum The Brugmansia Forum

map_v2.png?u=h2sm&d=9lixPygMc1t0CHHPqCRs

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

The Hummingbird Forum was founded on September 15, 2005
Keeping hummingbirds alive in cold weather
web analytics