<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Cuttings

September 12 2017 at 2:17 AM
Carol Trego  (Login Imcarol)
Hummingbird Lover 2017

When trying to root David Verity do you just cut a branch, remove some leaves at the bottom and put it in water? I did that last year with no success. Or, do you put the cutting in potting soil?

I have three plants of Vermillionaire that didn't grow very well because they are in too much shade. I was thinking of digging them up to pot and see if they make the winter inside. I wonder if that will work.

Sometimes I'm surprised how easy it is to get roots on cuttings when in water without trying and other times it does not happen. African Blue basil really surprised me with getting roots on a cutting I had in a small bouquet that was in water.

Carol Trego
New Cumberland, Pennsylvania USA
Zone 6b

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Ward Dasey
(Login WardDas)
Hummingbird Moderator 2005

Re: Cuttings

September 12 2017, 7:54 AM 

I think they will root in water although I have always done it in potting soil. You want to use green wood, don't cut down to the brown. Plants brought in will probably do OK depending on indoor conditions. Generally David Verity is a very easy plant to root from cuttings.

Indy Steve
(Login SteveWnindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

Re: Cuttings

September 12 2017, 10:36 AM 

I think they will root in water although like Ward I prefer to start them in soil. Seems if you start them in water then the adjustment to soil is difficult. I dont know if there is an easier plant to root than david verity.
Steve
Martinsville In.
Zone 6

Find more about Weather in Martinsville, IN
Click for weather forecast

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
TinyPic image hosting site
TinyPic is a free picture hosting site (ad supported) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Tinypic link above; Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload Now; Copy the Direct Link for Layouts; Paste that code in your message.

Postimage hosting site
Postimage is a free picture hosting site (with some ads) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Postimage link above; Browse for your picture by clicking on Choose Image.; Select your image and Open; Highlight and Copy the Hotlink for website ; Paste that code in your message.

PLEASE VISIT OUR OTHER SITES:
Feathered Friends The Butterfly Forum The Brugmansia Forum

map_v2.png?u=h2sm&d=9lixPygMc1t0CHHPqCRs

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

The Hummingbird Forum was founded on September 15, 2005
Keeping hummingbirds alive in cold weather
web analytics