<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Local products making noise in Central league

January 13 2012 at 5:04 PM
crispy  (Login goredwhiteandblue)
Registered Members

Oddly enough all of these players have played for Duchesne and some for Birkas. I could see local players leaving being a common theme

Local products making noise in Central league
By Patrick Kennedy/The Whig-Standard
Posted 19 hours ago
Don't look now, Nepean Raiders, but suddenly you have something you haven't had since moving into first place early in the year company, the kind that drops by, stays a spell, then nudges you out the door and into second place.

The Carleton Place Canadians, hotter than a Saturday Night Special of late, have brushed past the Raiders and into top spot overall in the Central Canada Hockey League. Each has 67 points, but the Canucks own the highest perch thanks to two more wins than the Raiders.

A more definitive battle for first place takes place Friday night in Carleton Place when the two rivals square off. Nepean is ranked seventh in the country, four spots ahead of the Canadians.

The Carleton Place upswing has been the product of a team-wide effort, from the goal crease on out, said Brock Edwards, one of two Kingston-born siblings playing significant roles in the charge to the summit.

"Our goalies and defence have been consistent, we have two strong offensive lines and a really good core of guys filling out the third and fourth lines," he said.

Edwards, with younger brother Luke on his line along with American Ben Murphy, continued a personal hot streak with two assists in Wednesday's 5-1 win over Ottawa, which helped inch the Canucks past Nepean. Since the start of December, centreman Edwards has amassed 21 points. He currently sits 14th in league scoring (48).

Not to be outdone, L'il Luke, 2 1/2 years, three inches and 20 pounds behind big bro', has 17 points during that same span, best among league rookies. Last year's top rookie in the Empire B Junior C League at age 16 he led the Amherstview Jets in scoring has 32 points in 37 games in the step-up central circuit.

Edwards the elder believes his team's push for first place to be a priority.

"Home-ice advantage right through the playoffs would be huge for our team," he reasoned. "We play really well in our rink, which is pretty small. Other teams hate playing there."

The Edwards boys aren't the only Greater Kingston minor hockey graduates skating and starring in the central circuit.

In Brockville, Kingston's Ben Blasko leads a Braves uprising that has the squad deadlocked for second place with the Cornwall Colts, a team coached (and partly owned) by Kingstonian Ian MacInnis. Brockville and Cornwall are seven points back of conference-leading Nepean.

Blasko, 19, leads the Braves in assists and points with 40 and 55, respectively. The erstwhile Gananoque Islander stands sixth in league scoring.

Netminder Mackenzie Sawyer, 18, is another area product in this instance Lansdowne who has cocked an eyebrow or two in the Central loop. The Smiths Falls Bears puck-stopper was named league goalie of the month for December. Sawyer, a GK teammate of Team Canada rearguard Scott Harrington, won five straight games en route to a 6-2 mark in December.

His bruin teammate, Jeff Carroll, 19, is flirting with a point-per-game pace. The husky left-winger from Inverary has 38 points in 40 outings this season. He also leads the Bears in game-winning goals (3).

Yet another erstwhile GK player, 18-year-old Hayden Hulton, has 13 points and 47 penalty minutes in 40 games with the Brockville Braves.

pkennedy@thewhig.com

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Wayne Lewis
(Login wayjoy)

Kingston products galore

January 13 2012, 8:23 PM 

Yup. Those Kingston-area lads are all over this league and the Central league. A true testament to the competitive process for excellent players at the junior level.

And it's a big tribute to the Kingston Minor Hockey Associations for having a big hand in their development.

Well done, Kingston.

If I am sounding a little too much like Don Cherry..... excuse me. happy.gif

Wayjoy

True
(Login truth_man)
Registered Members

Re: Local products making noise in Central league

January 15 2012, 9:51 AM 

Why cant the Vees sign them?

Crispy
(Login goredwhiteandblue)
Registered Members

January 15 2012, 12:25 PM 

Most of these kids were offered cards by the Vees but chose to go somewhere else because of the coach and or the gm.

Wayne Lewis
(Login wayjoy)

It happens all the time all over

January 15 2012, 4:09 PM 

truthman .

Simply because the competition is fierce for players of quality. Just because they are Kingston products doesn't mean the Vees have exclusive rights to where they play.

Aside from money, there are many considerations junior-aged players have to consider. Most are quite rightly exploring all their avenues to see which one best fits their needs.

It's never the simple equation. Money and/or not liking the administrative part of a team, are just two of many factors coming into play.

Stay tuned.

Wayjoy

True
(Login truth_man)
Registered Members

January 16 2012, 10:00 AM 

That is the biggest line of crap I have ever heard. They never had a problem keeping the locals in town before. Money was a key and everyone in the league knew this including the OHA. But no evidence. Now that these owners have no deep pockets they have to compete for the players. Good luck boys and welcolme to the league.

Wayne Lewis
(Login wayjoy)

January 16 2012, 1:05 PM 

Hamilton's Red wings, with the deep pockets of Stu Hyman, have not been able to attract and keep all the Hamilton-area players for their team.

In fact, many long time Wings' fans have lamented that very fact that too many Hamilton-bred players are playing elsewhere.

It simply is the business of junior A and B hockey today. This crap is neither what truthman agrees with nor others of similar ilk, but is what it is.

The only junior hockey I know of where they keep locals to play is junior C which has a strong flavour of locally supported players.

Wayjoy

BeaverSports
(Login BeaverSports)
Registered Members

January 16 2012, 1:30 PM 

Kingston has always been a competitive place to find players. A lot of good teams - Wellington, Nepean, Pembroke, Cornwall - to name a few have strong Kingston ties in their management and those teams are certainly there scouting right along with the Vees and all the B and C teams in the area. It's not a slam dunk necessarily that the players would go to any team around the area.

Though I'm sure everyone in hockey loses a player or two because of what people might think of them or decisions they've made along the way - and I'm sure the current Vees brass is no different - they aren't really to blame alone for much of what has been mentioned in that article. In fact, I think it's going to take them a few years to build their own reputation at this level. While the previous regime was successful, they did it on the backs of a lot of older players. Some of the younger guys who signed in Kingston didn't play a lot and others felt they had to leave town to get their ice. Some of the players in that article - Brock Edwards having even signed with the Vees earlier - were already gone or had set the wheels in motion elsewhere by the time Birkas and Duchesne were even in charge.

Leapin' Lou
(Login SamTheBarrel)
Registered Members

Kingston Area Players

January 16 2012, 2:57 PM 

Billy Ulrick is an example of one who indeed did sign and play with the Vees but was traded to a team in th CCHL.

Both Hayden Hulton and Ben Blasko were recruited by Brockville prior to the arrival on the scene of the current Vees regime. can't toss any blame that way.

Wayne Lewis
(Login wayjoy)

The CCHL standings

January 16 2012, 5:47 PM 

http://cjhlsite.stats.pointstreak.com/standings.html?leagueid=349

A big match this Friday night in Brockville pits the Brockville Braves who have some Kingston products on their roster (Blasko and company) against the Yzerman division leading Nepean Raiders coached by former Vees' assistant coach Peter Goulet.

Game time is 730 pm at the beautiful Brockville hockey rink.

This should be a dandy if any fine Kingston folks want to head down.

Wayjoy

True
(Login truth_man)
Registered Members

January 17 2012, 8:20 AM 

It doesnt matter what I beleive in. It is very true that The Vees and others built teams with money. Now that the money is gone they are struggling with the rest of us in a normal league. The OHL are having difficulties with some teams with money loading up, but the draft seems to even out the situation. Now you have kids picking their teams and the money teams seem always to get these high end kids. This is the way that sports are and have been going. So owners have to make decisions which will effect their pockets. The truth is to allow teams to pay players.

Wayne Lewis
(Login wayjoy)

The truth

January 17 2012, 11:09 AM 

"The truth is rarely pure and never simple."

Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Importance of Being Earnest, 1895, Act I

Wayjoy

Leapin' Lou
(Login SamTheBarrel)
Registered Members

At Wayne's Suggestion

January 22 2012, 5:10 PM 

Earlier Wayne had suggested a quality match was to be played in Brockville on Friday night. Of course he was suggesting the Vees faithful venture down to see former Vees Coach Pete Goulet and his 5th place nationally ranked Nepean Raiders take on the home town Brockville Braves.

Well we didn't see Wayne, but Tom Breen's dad was there along with some of his Vees supporters. I invited them to lend a hand in cheering for the Kingston boys on the Braves, Hayden Hulton and Ben Blasko.

It musta worked as the Braves broke a scoreless deadlock late in the 3rd and went on to win it 3 - 0 . Ben Blasko scored the 3rd goal.

Sort of reminded me of a few years back when Wayne last visited and the Braves made a miraculous comeback to down the high flying Pembroke Lumber Kings, who at that time had several Limestone City boys in their lineup.

Wayne, you and the Vees fans are always welcome

Lou (still doing the P x P)

Wayne Lewis
(Login wayjoy)

Nice 3-0 shutout win for Brockville

January 22 2012, 8:53 PM 

Thanks SamtheBarrel . Glad some of the Vees' faithful could be of some help cheering the Braves on.

I know those guys Bob Breen, Ron Surgent and Chris Potter and there may have been some other Vees' supporters there.

Thanks for the run down on the game. I sure wish I could have made it down.

I hope the Vees' supporters can make as big a difference to their Vees in the coming playoffs as they did to the Kingston boys on the Braves.

See you soon.

Wayjoy

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on Junior HockeyCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement