<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Special little brug seeds!!

November 11 2006 at 2:35 AM
David  (Login davidwv)
Hummingbird lover 2007

Some people already know the story behind these seeds, but for the sake of those who do not, I will try to explain it as brief and concise as possible.

Back in October of 2004 my mother passed away. Earlier that spring I gave her a cutting of Butterfly since that her other brug did not survive the winter before. It grew and bloomed well for her that summer.

On the evening of her wake I noticed a seed pod on her plant. I was shocked, because I knew that there should not have been a seed pod on her brug, especially since it was the only brug she owned. I harvested the pod when it was ripe and in great haste I planted the seeds. But none of them germinated. It was my fault because I did not care for them properly.

Then last year, feeling very discouraged because I did take care of the seeds and feeling I would never have this chance again, I found two more seed pods last year!! I took very special care of the seeds last year and now have a little more than 30 seedlings from those seeds.

And by some coincidence, or is it, another seed pod was on her plant again this year.

It has been discussed that the most logical reason for this is, that a bee carried pollen from one or more, of my brugs to her brug. The distance between her home and mine is within the range that bees will travel to forage.

Yesterday, 11-9-2006, I harvested the small pod from it. The pod had apx. 24 seeds, 18 - 19 look like they are viable. I peeled and planted them last night and already two of them have the radicle emerging (the root shoot) in less than 24 hours time!!

I can hardly wait to see what may come from these seeds. In my opinion, a divine hand has been guiding Mr. Bee to the flowers. I have the feeling that something nice is hiding in these seeds.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login ksk1)

Re: Special little brug seeds!!

November 11 2006, 8:07 AM 

I'm sorry about your Mother but what a wonderful story. Those are certainly very special plants that you will cherish for many years to come. I'd love to see what kind of blooms you end up with.
Karyn

(Login carrie751)
Brug Assistant Moderator

November 11 2006, 8:56 AM 

What a wonderful and touching story, David. I know you are going to get somethin very special from these seed. Thanks for sharing.

USDA Zone 7/8
Copper Canyon
North Central Texas

(Login Ruth43)

November 11 2006, 11:22 AM 

David what a great story behind the seeds please keep us posted on them.

Ruth
Zone7
Mathiston,Ms

(Login jas4141)

November 11 2006, 11:35 AM 

David, what a heartwarming story. Let's hope that something really special comes from those seeds and a beautiful brug is named in your mother's honor. Keep us posted.

Jarie
Rio Grande Valley, TX
Zone 9

(Login Celtguy)
Hummingbird Member 2005

November 11 2006, 12:48 PM 

David, that is very special. I'll be looking forward to the results you get. Even if nothing fabulous develops from the seedlings you grow, there will be something special there for you.

Patrick
Brug Moderator
USDA Zone 8b
Heat Zone 3
Sunset Zone 5
SeaTac, WA...one cool place

(Login lynnehardi)

November 11 2006, 11:36 PM 

What a lovely story, David. I hope all of the seedlings grow into Brugs as beautiful as the story behind them.

Lynne Peace.
USDA Zone 9b
Heat Zone 10
Bradenton, Florida

(Login Flagardengal)
Brugmansia lover

November 12 2006, 5:49 AM 

David, for sharing the story with us. I hope the seeds do exceptionally well and you have a special one you can keep and name in your Mother's honor.

Linda
Zone 9
Jacksonville FL

(Login xomed28)

November 12 2006, 2:13 PM 

David, I believe there will be something special in those brug seeds. Cindy

(Login flowergirl110)

November 12 2006, 5:07 PM 

David,

What a heart-warming story. Take extra care of those seedlings - they're so special.

Kathy
USDA Zone 5
Connecticut

(Login davidwv)
Hummingbird lover 2007

November 15 2006, 12:31 AM 

Sorry about the delay in responding to everyone's comments. But I have been very, very busy.

Thank each and every one of you who responded to my post. I like to share this story because, in my opinion, a higher power is at work. I like to think that God allows little things like this to happen to remind us that he is there and that he loves us very much.

I have no idea what the seedlings will look like when they bloom, but everyone of them will be, and are, very special. And like I mentioned earlier, I have a feeling that one or more will be pretty special. I would like to name one of these seedlings after my late mother, but I'll just have to wait and see what comes of them. If none of them are, in my opinion, worthy of naming after her; I am sure that there will be one that I can use to hybridize a brug that is worthy to name after her.

AND I will be posting pictures when they bloom!!

(Login carrie751)
Brug Assistant Moderator

November 15 2006, 8:11 AM 

I can hardly wait to see what develops, David. Thank you so much for sharing this with us. Stories like this stick with us and we can bring them out when things are not as good as we would like them to be.

USDA Zone 7/8
Copper Canyon
North Central Texas

(Login flowergirl110)

November 15 2006, 9:11 AM 

David,

We look forward to seeing photos of these seeds as they develop. Keep us posted, won't you? I think now they are special to all of us.

Kathy
USDA Zone 5
Connecticut

Current Topic - Special little brug seeds!!  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Upload picture, Copy the Shareable code, Paste it in your message.

Free online spelling checker

Search:   for    

Enter a long URL to make tiny:

PLEASE VISIT OUR OTHER SITES:

Feathered Friends Helpful Tips The Bug Forum The Butterfly Forum The Hummingbird Forum

Est. Oct. 6, 2005 - Page visits Free Counters

Patrick (Celtguy) Started the Brugmansia Forum and is now Moderator Emeritus

Locations of visitors to this page

Daily Map of Brugs and Such Forum Visitors