<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Update on '06 Seedlings

June 13 2007 at 2:10 PM

(Login Celtguy)
Hummingbird Member 2005

In other threads we've talked about how our seedlings from seeds shared last year performed. I finally have pics ready to show what mine are up to. As I've mentioned, winter storage in my garage wasn't highly successful this past winter...most of my brugs had trunk die-back in varying degrees, as you'll see here.

1rst pic - my 2 Frosty Pink X Unknown
2nd & 3rd pics - Mtn. Magic X Unknown
in both cases, one died back only a little...the other a lot!

next 3 pics:

one of my 3 Ecuador Pink X Peaches & Cream
this is plant #2...look at the die-back.
#1 grew tall & bloomed late last summer I dug it
and stored it in the garage...it died!
#3 grew in a pot & also appears to have died.
I have cuttings of all 3.

Suaveolens white
a good tall grower.
out of 12 seedlings, I've given away 10.

CG X Insignis Pink

Patrick
Brug Moderator
USDA Zone 8b
Heat Zone 3
Sunset Zone 5
SeaTac, WA...one cool place

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login jas4141)

Re: Update on '06 Seedlings

June 13 2007, 2:28 PM 

You certainly have a lot of patience, Patrick. Not sure I could deal with all of the setbacks. You get a AA for effort. All this time, there have been no blooms from any of the seedlings, correct?? Maybe soon you'll see some "colorful results". Sure hope so because you deserve it.

Jarie
Mission, TX
Rio Grande Valley
Zone 9

(Login Celtguy)
Hummingbird Member 2005

June 13 2007, 4:22 PM 

Jarie, one of my EPxPNC seedling started blooming at the end of August last year. The other 2 from that same batch set buds, but too late to bloom. My cool climate makes them slow growers, compared to warmer parts of the country.

I believe I'll get better results by cutting off the full-length trunks & rooting them in a cool room indoors over the winter. That way I can put out already Y'd brugs in the spring. I will also try to make my garage warmer this next winter.

These are pics from 07Sept last year.

Patrick
Brug Moderator
USDA Zone 8b
Heat Zone 3
Sunset Zone 5

(Login Flagardengal)
Brugmansia lover

June 13 2007, 9:04 PM 

I have a feeling these will do great for you this year--they are getting good growth and look healthy---more blooms in store for you!

Linda
Zone 9
Jacksonville FL

(Login Tiedjens)
Brug IT Manager

June 13 2007, 9:13 PM 

I bet you will find your 2 year old plants (and older)that died back on you will Y at a much lower height and flower sooner for you this year Gary. I find mine do that when I chop them back for dormancy.

Forum Editing Tech Image hosting by Photobucket
Zone 5b

(Login jas4141)

June 13 2007, 10:45 PM 

Patrick, what a soft beautiful pink and I love the tendrils on that seedling. Hope it blooms as beautifully this 2nd year and warrants special recognition. Keep us posted.

Jarie
Mission, TX
Rio Grande Valley
Zone 9

This message has been edited by jas4141 on Jun 13, 2007 10:48 PM

(Login Celtguy)
Hummingbird Member 2005

June 14 2007, 1:24 AM 

Jarie, the coloring you see is early on the 2nd day & if viewed closely is more peachy than pink. The blooms matured to a soft pumpkin color. Like you, I'm anxious to see what this year's coloring & flower form will be like.

Linda, thanks for your positive thoughts.

RA, I hope I have the same experience, even tho part of me hopes for taller plants.

Patrick
Brug Moderator
USDA Zone 8b
Heat Zone 3
Sunset Zone 5

(Login carrie751)
Brug Assistant Moderator

June 15 2007, 8:33 AM 

Patrick has more patience than I, Jarie - I would forget what I was doing in two years!! (grin) Anyway, I am glad there are "Patrick's" in this world so the rest of us can benefit from their perseverance. Way to go, Pat ------

USDA Zone 7/8
Copper Canyon
North Central Texas

(Login jas4141)

June 15 2007, 1:10 PM 

You can say that again, Carrie. My seedlings bit the dust last summer so I have to start over in that department...if I decide to. Pollinating and shucking the pods is the easy part...from there on it's been down hill for me!! We'll see what happens this year. My biggest problem is that we're gone so much of the time and seedlings are something that is difficult to hand over to someone else.

Patrick, you're a great brug daddy! Happy Father's Day.

Jarie
Mission, TX
Rio Grande Valley
Zone 9

Kathy
(Login flowergirl110)

June 19 2007, 8:06 AM 

Patrick, even though you had some set-backs, your seedlings look great. The peach bloom looks great with all those tendrils. I know you can't wait to (finally) see all the new blooms this year. I have several seedlings from '06 that I haven't seen blooms on yet and I'm just holding my breath, waiting for them to Y...

Good luck - I hope you get at least one real beauty!

Kathy
USDA Zone 5
Connecticut

(Login njoynit)
Hummingbird Member 2005

July 2 2007, 8:02 AM 

I have 5 seedlings from 2006.marked white suav.They had buds when wintered but dropped.They have not budded this year yet though 2 still have their 'y' #1 don't look like he's done much(aceept not get plowed by dog)#2 have been topped by dog& one has a saw horse in front& the other a tomato cage #4 is in hex bed by deck it has sent up a sprout thats as tall as what what I wintered over& #5 is engulfed in B&B salvia& is the one I let go dormant.I cut the trunks of 1-4 and rooted.out of those 2 returned from roots& we're slow growing.They are barely a ft tall.I walked out & checked #5 its 3 ft tall& has 3 trunks.

Njoy

SE TX Z8b
Coastal~Tyler Co TX

');

Current Topic - Update on '06 Seedlings  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Free Image Hosting site

FreeImageHosting.net is a free picture hosting site (ad supported) and is not associated with this forum.

To use:Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload; Copy Image Code; Paste that code in your message.

FreeImageHosting.net -

Filename extensions allowed: gif, jpg, bmp, png
Filesize limit: 3,000KB

TinyPic image hosting site

TinyPic is a free picture hosting site and is not associated with this forum.

To use:Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload Now; Copy the Direct Link for Layouts; Paste that code in your message.

Uploads.im - image hosting site

Uploads.im is a free picture hosting site and is not associated with this forum.

To use:Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload; Copy the Direct Link code; Paste that code in your message.

Free online spelling checker

Search:   for    

Enter a long URL to make tiny:

PLEASE VISIT OUR OTHER SITES:

Feathered Friends Helpful Tips The Bug Forum The Butterfly Forum The Hummingbird Forum

Est. Oct. 6, 2005 - Page visits Free Counters

Patrick (Celtguy) Started the Brugmansia Forum and is now Moderator Emeritus

Locations of visitors to this page

Daily Map of Brugs and Such Forum Visitors