<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Finally!

May 22 2009 at 12:33 PM

Patrick  (Login Celtguy)
Bird Lover

I moved the majority of my brugs, those stored over winter in the garage, outdoors on April 29. They have done little since then until now. We're finally seeing some temps reaching into the 60's and today I noticed a flush of little green sprouts emerging on most of them. I just trimmed any dead trunks/branches and will give them a half strength fertilizing within the next few days. Then I'll wait until I see more growth...fully developed leaves...before I feed them again. It is so encouraging to see the brugs finally waking up.

My favorite Iochroma, 'Plum Beauty', died back nearly to the soil, but is putting out new growth now. The I. fuchsioides shows no life yet, but I'm still hopeful.

Patrick
USDA Zone 8b
Heat Zone 3
Sunset Zone 5
SeaTac, WA...one cool place
[linked image]

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

sally cummings
(Login sallycummings)
Brugmansia lover

Re: Finally!

May 22 2009, 3:32 PM 

Congratulations Patrick. I'm wishing you a wonderful brug year. I am all in the ground with leaves emerging.
[linked image]

Sally
Zone 5b
heat zone 4
Enfield Connecticut

[linked image]

http://community.webshots.com/user/sallycummings

Selma McNamara
(Login ispydox)
Brugmansia lover

May 22 2009, 9:54 PM 

Yes, isn't it wonderful Patrick! We will have spring/summer for a week! How nice! I have all my brugs outside, and just got pots and soil to repot them! Maybe on monday, since it is a holiday! [linked image]

[linked image]

Patrick
(Login Celtguy)
Bird Lover

May 22 2009, 11:21 PM 

Hmmm, my silly Sanguinea froze to the ground in our colder-than-usual winter...but today I found shoots emerging at the base of the dead stems. It doesn't want to bloom for me, but it doesn't want to die either!

Patrick
USDA Zone 8b
Heat Zone 3
Sunset Zone 5
[linked image]

Carrie
(Login carrie751)
Brug Assistant Moderator

May 23 2009, 4:48 PM 

Way to go, Patrick. My brugs are going great guns as well as the weeds, the grass and many other things....(grin)!! We have had a lot of rain this spring, and it has certainly helped everything green up and look great. I have three more brugs to put inground, and then it will just be watering, fertilizing and watching them bloom...yeah !!!

USDA Zone 7/8
Copper Canyon
North Central Texas
[linked image]

Ruth Ann
(Login Tiedjens)
Brug IT Manager

May 24 2009, 8:33 AM 

Got mine all planted in the ground yesterday, can you believe I am down to 10 Brugs, only 4 of which are registered? I am thinking of registering 2 more this year.

Canada 5b
Forum editing tech

Carrie
(Login carrie751)
Brug Assistant Moderator

May 24 2009, 9:03 AM 

Great, Ruth Ann, let us know when you do and what the names are.

USDA Zone 7/8
Copper Canyon
North Central Texas
[linked image]

Patricia Watson
(Login Patricia531)
Brugmansia lover

June 3 2009, 5:30 PM 

I will be looking forward to seeing your brugs. Ruth Ann.

Patricia
Livermore, Calif.
San Fran. Bay area
[linked image]

Patrick
(Login Celtguy)
Bird Lover

Update on an old story

June 15 2010, 8:55 PM 

Until I located this thread, I didn't remember seeing any life out of my sanguinea last year. I do believe that whatever sprouted grew very little. A few weeks ago, I spotted half a dozen new shoots starting to emerge from this poor ol' sang! I feel like I should dig it out and pitch it, but I don't think I'll have the heart to do that. So...maybe one more chance?

I had also mentioned my 2 Iochromas. They went on to grow tall last year - the purple one reached about 5' and had several clusters of blooms. The red one really went crazy...grew about 7' in one season...but not a single bloom. Both are currently growing well, but have maintained the pattern of the purple one breaking dormancy well ahead of the red one.

Patrick
USDA Zone 8b
Heat Zone 3
Sunset Zone 5
[linked image]

Carrie
(Login carrie751)
Brug Assistant Moderator

June 16 2010, 11:47 AM 

Patrick, just checking your temps ...........are you ever going to get summer weather?? I am really glad you aren't trying to grow okra this year.

USDA Zone 7/8
Copper Canyon
North Central Texas
[linked image]

Patrick
(Login Celtguy)
Bird Lover

June 16 2010, 4:45 PM 

Carrie...3 things are growing terribly well here now....moss, grass & weeds! Yesterday, I replanted squash & cuke seeds. From my first planting, I have 1 squash seedling and 2 cukes. It was in the upper 40's all morning here today & at 1:40 PM we have a "heat wave" of 52. If we don't get some sun & warmer temps, the 2nd planting won't produce any more than the 1rst one did. That said, it's not uncommon for us to have crappy weather until mid July...if we're LUCKY, we'll then get summer for about 2 months. In the meantime, I run the furnace every morning to take the chill out of the house. Many of you will find it hard to imagine having an indoor temp of 62 without spending a bundle on A/C!

No, it's definitely NOT an okra year!

Patrick
USDA Zone 8b
Heat Zone 3
Sunset Zone 5
[linked image]

Carrie
(Login carrie751)
Brug Assistant Moderator

June 17 2010, 10:37 AM 

It is hot and dry here, though many parts of Texas got more rain than they bargained for. The plants I grow love the heat, so all is blooming well right now. One of my many hardy dinner plate hibiscus had over 20 blooms on it this morning..........very stunning show of beauty !!!!!!!

USDA Zone 7/8
Copper Canyon
North Central Texas
[linked image]

Ruth Ann
(Login Tiedjens)
Brug IT Manager

June 18 2010, 7:30 AM 

Pics Carrie, we need pics!

Canada 5b
Forum editing tech

Selma McNamara
(Login ispydox)
Brugmansia lover

June 28 2010, 11:20 PM 

Well, here it is the end of June, and I finally have about 9 buds on my original NOID brug. And they are growing! Here's hoping! A question, how long from a small (1/2") bud to a flower? [linked image]

[linked image]

Patrick
(Login Celtguy)
Bird Lover

July 10 2010, 1:28 PM 

And another "Finally" report....'Jamie's Monkey Business' has a bloom open this morning and 3 more buds in the process of opening, plus a few smaller buds coming along. It's been a very slow start to the season, but I'm hopeful I'll see more brugs blooming in a few weeks.

July 12 update...4 blooms now open and another bud is unfurling. This isn't a strongly fragrant brug, but it's euphoric to stand there inhaling its perfume.

Patrick
USDA Zone 8b
Heat Zone 3
Sunset Zone 5
[linked image]

This message has been edited by Celtguy on Jul 12, 2010 10:43 PM

Selma McNamara
(Login ispydox)
Brugmansia lover

July 24 2010, 12:23 AM 

Oh, at last, one of my buds has slightly opened, and dropped its skirt a tad! With the warm weather due this weekend, I may once again smell brug at night!! [linked image]

[linked image]

Carrie
(Login carrie751)
Brug Assistant Moderator

July 25 2010, 8:56 AM 

That is exactly why my Dr. Seuss "tree" is planted by my door near the pool. Each time I go out at night, the air is filled with fragrance. It is the only brug that is doing well this year........NOT a good year for brugs here at my house. They look healthy, just not blooming as I expect.

USDA Zone 7/8
Copper Canyon
North Central Texas
[linked image]

Ruth Ann
(Login Tiedjens)
Brug IT Manager

July 26 2010, 4:10 PM 

I find they don't set buds well in the heat Carrie, here they were set before the heat hit but only Golden Lady has manages to push those buds into blooms that were not deformed by the heat once they opened.

Canada 5b
Forum editing tech

Selma McNamara
(Login ispydox)
Brugmansia lover

July 26 2010, 11:39 PM 

I have a question for you experienced brug people: Last friday my NOID pink dropped her skirt, and I thought by today I would have a lovely bloom for sure. But it is out quite a bit, but not open, and I have 5 more that have dropped their skirts, but not yet open. Is this common, what am I not doing right? I am watering fairly heavily in the evening, since I leave pretty early in the morning. And they get fed about once a week with miracle grow liquid food. Thanks. [linked image]

[linked image]

Ruth Ann
(Login Tiedjens)
Brug IT Manager

July 27 2010, 9:55 AM 

Depending on the variety, I can go up to 3-5 days from full emergence of the bloom until it opens. I don't think you are doing anything wrong.

Canada 5b
Forum editing tech

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
TinyPic image hosting site

TinyPic is a free picture hosting site and is not associated with this forum.

To use:Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload Now; Copy the Direct Link for Layouts; Paste that code in your message.

Free online spelling checker

Search:   for    

Enter a long URL to make tiny:

PLEASE VISIT OUR OTHER SITES:

Feathered Friends Helpful Tips The Bug Forum The Butterfly Forum The Hummingbird Forum

Est. Oct. 6, 2005 - Page visits Free Counters

Patrick (Celtguy) Started the Brugmansia Forum and is now Moderator Emeritus

Locations of visitors to this page

Daily Map of Brugs and Such Forum Visitors