<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

brown leaves

August 13 2010 at 11:55 PM
Selma McNamara  (Login ispydox)
Brugmansia lover

Hi all, My older NOID pink is a prolific bloomer (by my standards), and smells wonderful! However, in spite of my feeding it weekly with Miracle Gro, many of its leaves are turning yellow and falling off. These are both big old leaves, and smaller leaves. It still has enough green leaves to make a pretty plant, but I am concerned about all the leaves that are falling off. Suggestions anyone?? Thanks. [linked image]

[linked image]

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login Tiedjens)
Brug IT Manager

Re: brown leaves

August 15 2010, 9:35 AM 

Is this plant potted or in the ground Selma and what kinds of Temps have you been experiencing, especially at night?

Canada 5b
Forum editing tech

(Login ispydox)
Brugmansia lover

August 15 2010, 10:38 AM 

Thanks Ruth Ann, it is in a large pot, and our temps, well, the past two nights they have been in the 60's, before that, probably in the low 50's, and before that, maybe low to mid 60's.
Do I need to repot it? How do I do that, it is a large plant, and is in the middle of blooming. Plus, I don't have any pot larger to put it in, and wouldn't be able to get it inside during the winter. I know, logistical questions! Thanks. [linked image]

[linked image]

(Login Tiedjens)
Brug IT Manager

August 16 2010, 9:36 PM 

I would say it is just discarding leaves that are no longer functioning well. If you are really worried, they rinsing +++ to flush out any salts that could be residual from the fertilizing but don't pot up larger now, wait until the fall. Then reduce the crown by the same proportion as what you reduce the root ball and out new soil in got it to grow into. You have seen how small I make my root balls for bringing them in for the winter....
http://www.network54.com/Forum/444612/thread/1191362221/Bringing+in+a+Brug+for+dormancy

Canada 5b
Forum editing tech

Selma McNamara
(Login ispydox)
Brugmansia lover

August 17 2010, 3:24 PM 

Thanks Ruth Ann, I appreciate the insight, and will repot when it gets cooler and we plan to bring the brugs in. [linked image]

[linked image]

(Login Tiedjens)
Brug IT Manager

August 19 2010, 8:53 PM 

Works for me, here is exotica and French Canadian today. They both get potted down to a 5 gallon pot for the winter, the root ball is actually smaller than that because I need a circumference layer of dry potting soil between the roots and the pot wall to absorb any moisture if the garden is wet when I dig them up in the fall.

French Canadian on the left, Axel Rose on the right...
Photobucket

Exotica....
Photobucket

Canada 5b
Forum editing tech

Current Topic - brown leaves  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Free Image Hosting site

FreeImageHosting.net is a free picture hosting site (ad supported) and is not associated with this forum.

To use:Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload; Copy Image Code; Paste that code in your message.

FreeImageHosting.net -

Filename extensions allowed: gif, jpg, bmp, png
Filesize limit: 3,000KB

TinyPic image hosting site

TinyPic is a free picture hosting site and is not associated with this forum.

To use:Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload Now; Copy the Direct Link for Layouts; Paste that code in your message.

Uploads.im - image hosting site

Uploads.im is a free picture hosting site and is not associated with this forum.

To use:Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload; Copy the Direct Link code; Paste that code in your message.

Free online spelling checker

Search:   for    

Enter a long URL to make tiny:

PLEASE VISIT OUR OTHER SITES:

Feathered Friends Helpful Tips The Bug Forum The Butterfly Forum The Hummingbird Forum

Est. Oct. 6, 2005 - Page visits Free Counters

Patrick (Celtguy) Started the Brugmansia Forum and is now Moderator Emeritus

Locations of visitors to this page

Daily Map of Brugs and Such Forum Visitors