<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Finally...Some Blooms!

August 26 2010 at 1:56 AM

Patrick  (Login Celtguy)
Bird Lover

I'm convinced that some of my brugs that should be blooming this year, aren't going to bloom at all - and I'm talking about mature plants! The others have been so slow about developing buds and until now, I really haven't had any flushes.

Well, that seems to be changing. Almost as if triggered by the full moon, the buds are starting to open. Best so far, is my 'New Orleans Lady' - coincidentally, my favorite brug. Here are some pics I took this morning.

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

This evening, I counted 26 blooms open and several more buds starting to open - some are quite large.

'Pink Velvet' has about the same number and 'Daydreams' just opened the first of several buds. I'm guessing (and hoping!) that I'll get a pretty good show going about mid-Sept.

[linked image]

Patrick
USDA Zone 8b
Heat Zone 3
Sunset Zone 5
SeaTac, WA...one cool place
[linked image]

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Ruth Ann
(Login Tiedjens)
Brug IT Manager

Re: Finally...Some Blooms!

August 26 2010, 8:13 AM 

Your NOL is one of the better ones I have seen of it Patrick.
She seems big like Creamsicle is. I have a few blooms on my NHE Brug but they are well hidden by the foliage unless you go and 'part the waters' to see them. Shawnee's Legacy has been having some deformed blooms I attribute to the high heat we had in the evenings especially so am hoping to see one more flush before they all get dug up on her too.

I found too that some years they were really late producing blooms, especially after a great year of bloom, Exotica is like that so next year show be a low one for her because she has flowered so very well this year for me, her and French Canadian are my 2 best performers this year.

I rarely photograph my Brugs in direct sunlight but caught this one of Exotica the other day

Photobucket

Canada 5b
Forum editing tech

Carrie
(Login carrie751)
Brug Assistant Moderator

August 26 2010, 9:03 AM 

Now that I am getting cooler nights, I still have hopes of getting flushes this year. Patrick, what a beauty ........ my NOL dropped most of her buds and the one that opened was pitiful. But maybe she will fire up again and I will get a decent flush before frost. Exotica, beautiful as always, Ruth Ann.

USDA Zone 7/8
Copper Canyon
North Central Texas
[linked image]

Patrick
(Login Celtguy)
Bird Lover

August 26 2010, 12:42 PM 

That's gorgeous, RA. You DO get some awesome flushes.

We have a weather front coming in & may get some gusty winds...sure hope it doesn't beat up NOL's pretty blooms. That plant sits in a spot that's a little more exposed...I placed it there because it makes a great focal point where 2 paths join & I get a great view of it as I go out the back porch.

Patrick
USDA Zone 8b
Heat Zone 3
Sunset Zone 5
[linked image]

Jeff
(Login Greenthumbguy)
Brugmansia lover

August 28 2010, 10:49 PM 

Wow!

That is a gorgeous brug Patrick.

I have a very small NOL and hopeful it will produce blooms next year.

Great shots.

Green Thumb Guy
Brampton, Ontario
Canada
Zone 5

71624.gif

Carrie
(Login carrie751)
Brug Assistant Moderator

August 29 2010, 1:58 PM 

Guess you can see the heat has returned for me, but I had enough cool nights to make my brugs look better and to start putting on new leaves. May get a flush yet !!!!

USDA Zone 7/8
Copper Canyon
North Central Texas
[linked image]

Patrick
(Login Celtguy)
Bird Lover

September 4 2010, 12:03 AM 

So...is anyone getting flushes yet? My NOL is past that first nice flush, with a handful of buds still opening. I'll say I have some brugs opening a few blooms...no big, new & impressive flushes so far. Poor performance may influence my efforts to reduce my collection. Bloom or hit the road!

Patrick
USDA Zone 8b
Heat Zone 3
Sunset Zone 5
[linked image]

Carrie
(Login carrie751)
Brug Assistant Moderator

September 4 2010, 8:57 AM 

Nothing special going on here, Patrick. This has been a dismal year for brugs here in North Texas. I am still hopeful of a flush or two because I woke up to a temperature of 62 degrees this morning. If the nights start cooling off, my brugs will bloom. I, too, am considering fewer brugs for the future. Too much work, and too little pay off sometimes. I will keep my favorites, the ones that do well despite the heat, and quit trying to make the others happy in my climate. I really should be smarter than that.

USDA Zone 7/8
Copper Canyon
North Central Texas
[linked image]

John Curran
(Login John_Curran)
Brugmansia lover

September 5 2010, 9:51 AM 

Very nice NOL Patrick. I really wish you didn't deface the photos though, then at least we could enjoy them, this way no one can. Is it really such an issue with people stealing images? If it is, I'd post photos I didn't care the most about. Don't mean to sound negative, but this is something that always bothers me when I see it.

My NOL finally has a few tiny flower buds showing. The only Brug that has been rewarding for me this summer is ETERNITY. It seems the suaveolens types do best in this area...

Carrie, I agree completely. Brugs take so much water and fertilizer, as well as space, for what is sometimes not the biggest payoff. That is why I've sometimes pared the collection back to just 'Raffaella', the only one which performed perfectly. I let even that one go, and now it seems 'Eternity' is the new best, and with better color than 'Raffaella'.

The new 'Lizzie' gave me one great flower, then the buds fell off. Discouraging. I am rooting some cuttings though, as someone may want one of the newer double pinks.

Click for Whiting, New Jersey Forecast

Carrie
(Login carrie751)
Brug Assistant Moderator

September 5 2010, 10:57 AM 

Eternity has always been a good performer for me, but not this year. The only one I have of her is inground, and our winter was severe enough for the ground to get cold deep and it did not warm up until June (when she normally would have been blooming), so all I have this year is a beautiful plant with no blooms so far. I am still optimistic, though, and perhaps we won't have another winter like the last one in many moons.

USDA Zone 7/8
Copper Canyon
North Central Texas
[linked image]

Ruth Ann
(Login Tiedjens)
Brug IT Manager

September 5 2010, 3:12 PM 

John, Patrick and others have in fact had their images stolen and used on EBay so you, it is an issue for him. Some have been used to actually misrepresent the Brugmansia the stealer was offering so most of us take no issue with copyrights being added to images. You are being a little harsh with your criticism I think. If this is the only way someone feels safe about showing us their blooms, so be it.

Canada 5b
Forum editing tech

Patrick
(Login Celtguy)
Bird Lover

September 5 2010, 8:28 PM 

[linked image]

First of all, please know I'm being a bit silly here...yes, I have a rather warped sense of humor, as I often display in our forum.

John, I AM sorry the copywright text bothers you. I prefer to show/share pics that I think came out especially nice, rather than those which are mediocre. I haven't had luck on my laptop in creating the copyright symbol, so I have been writing out the word. I do try to keep the text size unobtrusive, but intentionally place it across the part of the image that I feel someone might be most interested in "copying" and often choose a color that would make covering up the text a challenge & hopefully a lot of work.

Hopefully, my silliness does illustrate that adding my copyright text could "deface" the photos considerably more than I currently do. I do want it on there, but I try to obscure the least amount of the image as possible.

Patrick
USDA Zone 8b
Heat Zone 3
Sunset Zone 5
[linked image]

John Curran
(Login John_Curran)
Brugmansia lover

September 5 2010, 9:21 PM 

Ruth Ann, I am not pleased you chose to categorize my comment as 'harsh.' Frankly, who asked you? I understand Patrick, but still, the photos are ruined as far as I can tell, and so we cannot enjoy them. It's like not enjoying something, just so no-one else may have it.

I'll be deleting this site from 'favorites', and will not be posting any more.

Click for Whiting, New Jersey Forecast

Carrie
(Login carrie751)
Brug Assistant Moderator

September 6 2010, 10:44 AM 

John, I am very sorry you feel this way about this site ............ others are just expressing their opinions (and usually because of something that has happenened in the past to them). I have known Patrick for many years and know that he would do nothing without just cause. Perhaps you would reconsider and just take this for what it is ...........a difference of opinions.

USDA Zone 7/8
Copper Canyon
North Central Texas
[linked image]

Codrina
(Login ionascus)
Brugmansia lover

Wow

September 8 2010, 1:50 PM 

Just woww....I'm impresseed....

http://houseandecogarden.blogspot.com/

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
TinyPic image hosting site

TinyPic is a free picture hosting site and is not associated with this forum.

To use:Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload Now; Copy the Direct Link for Layouts; Paste that code in your message.

Free online spelling checker

Search:   for    

Enter a long URL to make tiny:

PLEASE VISIT OUR OTHER SITES:

Feathered Friends Helpful Tips The Bug Forum The Butterfly Forum The Hummingbird Forum

Est. Oct. 6, 2005 - Page visits Free Counters

Patrick (Celtguy) Started the Brugmansia Forum and is now Moderator Emeritus

Locations of visitors to this page

Daily Map of Brugs and Such Forum Visitors