<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Hi There!

September 11 2010 at 11:01 PM

Kathy  (Login kasha77)
Brugmansia lover

Hi everyone! I'm new to this site, just found it on the web tonight. How refreshing it is to read everyones posts, I'm really enjoying all of you! I have 12 beds on a 1/4 acre dedicated exclusively to Brugs. Last winter, I started over 150 different cuttings on a reptile heating pad and under grow lights in my cool cellar. Most of them lived! This is my 2nd year growing them and they did very well for me this year! I planted out almost 200 of them, half are named varieties. When I learn how- I will post some photos (my other hobby) of my beauties. Looking forward to sharing and trading too!
kasha77

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Carrie
(Login carrie751)
Brug Assistant Moderator

Re: Hi There!

September 12 2010, 8:37 AM 

Welcome, Kathy, we are so glad to have you. And gee, lady, that is a lot of brugs. I'm sure you stay busy just watering and fertilizing them. Looking forward to chatting with you.

USDA Zone 7/8
Copper Canyon
North Central Texas
[linked image]

Ruth Ann
(Login Tiedjens)
Brug IT Manager

September 12 2010, 11:40 AM 

LOL, Hi Kathy, welcome, we all seem to get around to all the Brug forums.

Photobucket

Canada 5b
Forum editing tech

Patrick
(Login Celtguy)
Bird Lover

September 12 2010, 2:56 PM 

Welcome, Kathy. Our little forum is kind of on the quiet side, so it's always nice to have a new member join us...it will get better with more active members, so please encourage others to jump in and enjoy the forum with you.

Wow...you ARE ambitious with your brugs! I think some of us have sorta OD'd on brugs, thinking "you can never have too many". But I, for one, am in the process of picking out which ones are the best performers here & which mean the most to me, so I can reduce the size of the collection.

Please tell us what part of the country you live in, so we have an idea of your seasons & brug growing conditions.

BTW, Photobucket is one of the best ways of sharing pics here...and it's good to limit the pic size to 400 X 600 so viewers don't have to scroll to see the whole pic.

Patrick
USDA Zone 8b
Heat Zone 3
Sunset Zone 5
SeaTac, WA...one cool place
[linked image]

Kathy Suleski
(Login kasha77)
Brugmansia lover

Hi There!

September 12 2010, 3:35 PM 

Hi Gang!

So nice to hear back from several of you- Hi Carrie, Ruth Ann & Patrick!   Thanks for the friendly welcome!  I do stay very busy with my Brugs- and yes- I have OD on them!  Just lately, I've finally gotten my gardens under control- everything is finally planted, cuttings taken, edges dug out (I hate crab grass!) and Ground Clear applied to give my back a break.  I can even go away for a weekend if I wanted to- BUT who will take care of my babies?  I guess I'm a bit compulsive!  Patrick, I need to get to that point- I will be eliminating some brugs from my gardens, because I have several of the same variety, and some just don't do anything for me. How many brugs are enough? Just one more!  I'd love to trade cuttings or receive seed for postage if anyone's interested in the future. I live in Mooresville North Carolina, zone 7 b. We just LOVE the weather here!  & 7 months of growing season! Woo Hoo!  Back home in upstate NY we had 3 months of summer if we were lucky! So we've traded tons of snow for the heat down here, and it's a great trade!  By the way, Patrick, I really like how you've got the weather of your area on your post- how do you do that?  And yes- I will use Photo Bucket and reduce my photos.  Thanks for the tip! If I hear from any of my other Brugs buddies, I'll tell them about this site!  So refreshing!

Kathy  kahsa77

Selma
(no login)

September 12 2010, 7:52 PM 

Hi Kathy, I just wanted to welcome you, and try to resist your offer of brugs. I have nowhere as many brugs as you, but I can't fit any more in the area of the basement that my hubby lets me have for the plants! I live up near Patrick, in Washington state, and in winter, they need to come indoors. [linked image]

Selma
(Login ispydox)
Brugmansia lover

September 12 2010, 9:58 PM 

Hi and welcome, I am resisting making a plea for some of your cuttings, due to the limited space in my basement. I am in Western Washington, and come winter, we need to put our brugs indoors, and I don't have unlimited space. [linked image]

[linked image]

ionascus
(Login ionascus)
Brugmansia lover

Hi Kathy

September 12 2010, 11:56 PM 

Hi,and wellcome.
I'm also new on forum.I'm looking forward to see photo of your brugs.
Nice to "meet" you [linked image]

Codrina

Carrie
(Login carrie751)
Brug Assistant Moderator

September 14 2010, 3:17 PM 

Kathy, I see where you were asking about putting your weather info on here. Go to the RED info at the top when you first open the forum, click on it and go to the very bottom of the list. It will tell you how to put your weather info in your profile.

USDA Zone 7/8
Copper Canyon
North Central Texas
[linked image]

Kathy Suleski
(Login kasha77)
Brugmansia lover

Hi There!

September 14 2010, 9:49 PM 

Well gang-

So nice to hear from so many of you!  When I start cutting my brugs back for the winter, I will be excitedly searching for any one who wants to trade with me. And of course, I'll let my noids go for postage and a small S&H fee.  It looks like a little cottage industry here in the fall! My mailman thinks I have a small business going, what with all the boxes coming and going.  My middle son, (the funny one) says I'm a "BRUG" dealer! Geez, I'm the one who's addicted! (to Brugs, that is!  happy.gif

I will try to properly winter mine in the ground this time.  I realized that I didn't have enough mulch blanketing my brugs, and lost all but 2 of them.  But don't feel sad for me- At the same time, I started almost 200 cuttings in my tiny cellar. It's 50-60*down there, almost too cold to start them.  But I learned so much- that I have to keep them BARELY moist, and let them go dry before watering again. I found a great heating mat for reptiles on line, 12 feet long, and I used 5 shop lights with grow lights over it.. I just left the lights on all winter. I lost a few before learning what they needed.

I will take cuttings of all of them, of course, and start more for next year. My dream is to start a small business out of my home selling brugs.  I found a beauty of a green house that I hope to buy. Then I'll have somewhere to keep hundreds of brugs through the winter.  (My family just shakes their heads at me)

Kathy

[linked image]

This message has been edited by kasha77 on Sep 17, 2010 11:42 PM

BobKy
(Premier Login bob2aa)
Owner

Hi Kathy

September 14 2010, 10:45 PM 

Beautiful picture!

Please check this FAQ and see if it helps with getting the little box to show up for selecting thumbnails:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/439743/thread/1126966433/last-1126966433/How+to+post+a+picture

-
Cheers,Bob

LEX,Ky.
[linked image]

Carrie
(Login carrie751)
Brug Assistant Moderator

September 15 2010, 9:14 AM 

Good job, Kathy, and the pic is beautiful. No, I have never seen two blooms like this before.

USDA Zone 7/8
Copper Canyon
North Central Texas
[linked image]

Kathy Suleski
(Login kasha77)
Brugmansia lover

Hi There!

September 15 2010, 6:14 PM 

Hi Patrick!

I'm guessing you are the person I need to contact- I couldn't help but notice that someone used my photo of Kelly Ann without my permission. Please remove that photo and I will upload another one with my watermark.

Thanks!

Kathy

h ttp://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/smalltemptr/language/www/US/NC/Mooresville.gi f

BobKy
(Premier Login bob2aa)
Owner

Hi Kathy

September 15 2010, 11:47 PM 

To get the wx icon to work properly, please close up the spaces between the first h and t, then at the end, close the space between i and f.

h ttp://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/smalltemptr/language/www/US/NC/Mooresville.gi f

[linked image]

-
Cheers,Bob

LEX,Ky.
[linked image]

Patrick
(Login Celtguy)
Bird Lover

September 16 2010, 1:16 AM 

Hi Kathy,
I was the first moderator of this forum, but have subsequently "retired" and don't have the ability to modify anyone's threads/posts. I don't think anyone is currently moderating the forum, so I'd suggest requesting that assistance from Bob (BobKy), our forum owner.

If someone used one of my photos, I would contact him/her and point out that photos posted on this site are copyrighted and it is illegal for him/her to use your photo without your written permission...demand he/she removes it from wherever he/she posted it. If that doesn't happen, report it to the moderator or owner of that site and threaten legal action.

Watermarking is a good idea. I currently just mark my images with the text that you see on those I've been posting.

Patrick
USDA Zone 8b
Heat Zone 3
Sunset Zone 5
SeaTac, WA...one cool place
[linked image]

Carrie
(Login carrie751)
Brug Assistant Moderator

September 16 2010, 8:48 AM 

Kathy, if you are referring to the photo at the top of this foum, I think Bob does that so he gives each of us a chance to show off our brugs. If this is your concern, please contact him and I am certain he will be glad to remove it.

USDA Zone 7/8
Copper Canyon
North Central Texas
[linked image]

Kathy Suleski
(Login kasha77)
Brugmansia lover

Hi There!

September 16 2010, 10:35 PM 

Hi Everyone-

I realize that Bob just did that probably to show everyone what a neat flower that is. I'm not sure how to contact him, because emails are not displayed on this site. Can someone please tell me how to get in touch with him? Thanks! I'm not mad, just kind of surprised, because it's online ettiquette to ask someone before using their photos. I'm just worried about the rest of the world stealing it. I usually do put my watermark on my photos, but this one slipped by me. I'd be glad to upload another one with my mark if he wants to use it.  Everyone had been so sweet, I like it here and am learning more as I read your posts! I tried to upload from photo bucket, but don't see the little boxes any more like I did in the past. I will try to study it again before I post any more here. I don't want to inconvenience anyone with dial up. Thanks for the tip on my temp. display!

Kathy  kasha77

[linked image]

Ruth Ann
(Login Tiedjens)
Brug IT Manager

September 17 2010, 8:42 AM 

Kathy, it is easy to contact anyone in this forum via email by simply clicking on their name name (if it is in blue) off to the left of their post. That automatically pulls up an already addressed email for you, just wright your message and send it along. Click on 'BobKy''s name and then send the email.

Photobucket

Canada 5b
Forum editing tech

BobKy
(Premier Login bob2aa)
Owner

Hi Ruth Ann

September 17 2010, 9:37 AM 

Thank you for posting the email information. I've added that topic to the forum FAQ page.
http://www.network54.com/Forum/445702/message/1171551442/Brug+Forum+FAQ

Hi Kathy,

No HTML formatting is necessary on our forum;it does it automatically for you.

This message has been edited by bob2aa on Sep 17, 2010 10:49 PM

Ruth Ann
(Login Tiedjens)
Brug IT Manager

September 17 2010, 10:58 AM 

"I tried to upload from photo bucket, but don't see the little boxes any more like I did in the past."

Kathy, the boxes are still there, make sure you are
a) logged in and if you do not see them,
b) hover your cursor on the one you wish, the boxes will show then and just use the HTML code for the full size image or the HTML Thumb code for the thumbnail code and place those in your post where you want the pics to display. happy.gif....
Photobucket

Canada 5b
Forum editing tech

This message has been edited by Tiedjens on Sep 17, 2010 10:59 AM

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
TinyPic image hosting site

TinyPic is a free picture hosting site and is not associated with this forum.

To use:Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload Now; Copy the Direct Link for Layouts; Paste that code in your message.

Free online spelling checker

Search:   for    

Enter a long URL to make tiny:

PLEASE VISIT OUR OTHER SITES:

Feathered Friends Helpful Tips The Bug Forum The Butterfly Forum The Hummingbird Forum

Est. Oct. 6, 2005 - Page visits Free Counters

Patrick (Celtguy) Started the Brugmansia Forum and is now Moderator Emeritus

Locations of visitors to this page

Daily Map of Brugs and Such Forum Visitors