<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

What kind of flower is this?

September 24 2010 at 11:39 PM

(Premier Login bob2aa)
Forum Owner

Saw this growing in the backyard of a house that borders a public golf course I was playing.

[linked image]

-
Cheers,Bob

LEX,Ky.
[linked image]

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login Tiedjens)
Brug IT Manager

Re: What kind of flower is this?

September 25 2010, 10:15 AM 

It is a Datura I think, likely a Datura Innoxia.
[linked image]

Canada 5b
Forum editing tech

(Login carrie751)
Brug Assistant Moderator

September 25 2010, 11:38 AM 

aka, moonflower or jimson weed. They are beautiful, but reseed like the dickens. I have a datmansia that is a cross between a brug and a datura, and it reseeds like the datura. I try to cut all the little spiney seed pods off before they can open......but I am not always successful at this so I have to pull them up the next Spring.

USDA Zone 7/8
Copper Canyon
North Central Texas
[linked image]

(Premier Login bob2aa)
Forum Owner

Thank you

September 25 2010, 12:14 PM 

It is just at the edge of the golf course and their property,and I thought it might be a self-seeder datura.

-
Cheers,Bob

LEX,Ky.
[linked image]

(Login TomatoWorm59)
Brugmansia lover

November 6 2011, 10:15 AM 

Bob, that is a native plant, Datura wrightii. D. inoxia and D. metel [metelloides] have smooth leaves. This one has fuzzy leaves, hence their sage like color. Those must be either early morning shots or on a cooler day, since sunlight/warmth force closure of those flowers. They are often called "moonflowers" since they bloom at night. Hawkmoths [hummingbird moths] are the primary pollinator and their larvae feed on them, too. Hornworms also leave alone the precious seed pods, which are spikey just in case a wandering cat should forget to just eat leaves, not fruit. Some other names are "thornapple."

(Premier Login bob2aa)
Forum Owner

Hi Linda

November 13 2011, 11:17 AM 

THANKS! I believe that was an early morning shot.

Cheers,Bob
KLEX - USA

Lexington.gif

Current Topic - What kind of flower is this?  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Free Image Hosting site

FreeImageHosting.net is a free picture hosting site (ad supported) and is not associated with this forum.

To use:Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload; Copy Image Code; Paste that code in your message.

FreeImageHosting.net -

Filename extensions allowed: gif, jpg, bmp, png
Filesize limit: 3,000KB

TinyPic image hosting site

TinyPic is a free picture hosting site and is not associated with this forum.

To use:Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload Now; Copy the Direct Link for Layouts; Paste that code in your message.

Uploads.im - image hosting site

Uploads.im is a free picture hosting site and is not associated with this forum.

To use:Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload; Copy the Direct Link code; Paste that code in your message.

Free online spelling checker

Search:   for    

Enter a long URL to make tiny:

PLEASE VISIT OUR OTHER SITES:

Feathered Friends Helpful Tips The Bug Forum The Butterfly Forum The Hummingbird Forum

Est. Oct. 6, 2005 - Page visits Free Counters

Patrick (Celtguy) Started the Brugmansia Forum and is now Moderator Emeritus

Locations of visitors to this page

Daily Map of Brugs and Such Forum Visitors