<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Several Flushes Coming Along

October 2 2010 at 6:19 PM

Patrick  (Login Celtguy)
Bird Lover

Better late than never? It seems like most of my brugs are budding up - some for big flushes & some with only a few buds. I just hope the weather cooperates & allows them time to open...and I don't get rain to spoil the blooms. Color won't be what it should on several of them, but I'm just happy to have them bloom, after what has to be my worst brug year yet. What's happening with the rest of you?

Patrick
USDA Zone 8b
Heat Zone 3
Sunset Zone 5
SeaTac, WA...one cool place
[linked image]

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Carrie
(Login carrie751)
Brug Assistant Moderator

Re: Several Flushes Coming Along

October 3 2010, 10:27 AM 

Same as you, Parick. I am having what is ideal weather for me.........sixties at night..eighties in the daytime. My brugs are responding to it positively. I am getting a few flushes on my inground brugs that did not bloom in June and July as they do normally. I, too, have had the worst brug year EVER since I have been growing them. I had actually decided to regroup and start anew next season, but they never cease to amaze me.

USDA Zone 7/8
Copper Canyon
North Central Texas
[linked image]

Ruth Ann
(Login Tiedjens)
Brug IT Manager

October 3 2010, 4:56 PM 

Dare I tell you many of mine are on their 4th flush of the season with more buds coming that will not get to bloom. My open house is next Sat, Oct 9th and the cutting back takes place. I am pleased to say, Shawnee's Legacy has a small flush on her at the moment and cuttings will be returning to the U.S.A. with a couple of ladies next weekend I hope so will be available starting next year I imagine.

SL Oct 3 2019

Canada 5b
Forum editing tech

Selma McNamara
(Login ispydox)
Brugmansia lover

October 4 2010, 6:33 PM 

My NOID pink (my first brug) is blooming like there is no tomorrow! This is the longest she has bloomed, it seems one flush immediately after another, and lots and lots of blooms. Wonderful. Howcome the NOID ones bloom so prolifically, and the named ones, that are coddled maybe produce one or two blooms? [linked image]

[linked image]

Patrick
(Login Celtguy)
Bird Lover

October 5 2010, 2:40 AM 

Selma, is your NOID pink one of the cuttings I shared with you a couple of years ago? If so, that IS a greally good bloomer. But, in it's case (as in most cases, I guess), NOID simply means the name has been lost. It had a name, but the plant & name got separated. Some brugs are real work horses...Dr. Seuss, Charles Grimaldi, KBS, New Orleans Lady & Daydreams come to mind. Good genes I s'pose, while some others just aren't as prolific. I think the majority do pretty well - but you sure can't judge any in our area by this year's performance!

Patrick
USDA Zone 8b
Heat Zone 3
Sunset Zone 5
[linked image]

Carrie
(Login carrie751)
Brug Assistant Moderator

October 5 2010, 9:33 AM 

And I might add, Patrick, that brugs respond differently to different regions. Harlot has been a great bloomer for me, and others say not so much. Daydreams has never done well for me, but all the others you listed seem to like both your climate and mine. This has been the worst year ever for me "brug wise", but some flushes now make it all worth while.

USDA Zone 7/8
Copper Canyon
North Central Texas
[linked image]

Selma McNamara
(Login ispydox)
Brugmansia lover

October 6 2010, 3:31 PM 

Patrick, the NOID is my first, that I bought at Flower World. Unfortunately they didn't have names on them, and I didn't know enough to ask. But it sure has bloomed well for me, and started me on a love of these plants! [linked image]

[linked image]

Patrick
(Login Celtguy)
Bird Lover

October 13 2010, 4:02 PM 

Quite a few are now blooming....a really nice flush on Miss Emily Mackenzie. Others are doing one or two at a time & some have lots of buds...the race is really on to bloom before they head for the garage.

Patrick
USDA Zone 8b
Heat Zone 3
Sunset Zone 5
[linked image]

Carrie
(Login carrie751)
Brug Assistant Moderator

October 14 2010, 10:51 AM 

Unfortunately, that is always the case for me, Patrick (well, maybe not this year) lots of blooms just when it is time to cut them to the ground. Oh well, guess the people who take cuttings with blooms get to smell the fragrance for a bit.

USDA Zone 7/8
Copper Canyon
North Central Texas
[linked image]

Patrick
(Login Celtguy)
Bird Lover

November 9 2010, 11:21 PM 

I've had more brugs in bloom during the past 2-3 weeks than at any earlier time this year! Because I keep getting recurring bouts of rain, I've put up a "tarp tent" behind my garage, where I can place the brugs & let their pots full of wet soil dry out some before they're moved on into the garage. The timing looks pretty good - the temp should drop to the mid-to-upper 30's tonight, then rebound into nighttime temps in the low 40's. Freezing temps could come along any time.

Patrick
USDA Zone 8b
Heat Zone 3
Sunset Zone 5
[linked image]

Carrie
(Login carrie751)
Brug Assistant Moderator

November 10 2010, 9:12 AM 

Hopefully, not for another two weeks for me, Patrick (or longer if you are listening MN). My annual brug cutting is this Saturday and the weather has been beautiful all week. It will be turning cooler on Saturday though, after rain on Friday. I have already had a pretty hefty frost that damaged some of the open blooms on Dr. Seuss, but he just keeps on blooming. The others had enough protection so there was no damage to anything else.

USDA Zone 7/8
Copper Canyon
North Central Texas
[linked image]

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
TinyPic image hosting site

TinyPic is a free picture hosting site and is not associated with this forum.

To use:Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload Now; Copy the Direct Link for Layouts; Paste that code in your message.

Free online spelling checker

Search:   for    

Enter a long URL to make tiny:

PLEASE VISIT OUR OTHER SITES:

Feathered Friends Helpful Tips The Bug Forum The Butterfly Forum The Hummingbird Forum

Est. Oct. 6, 2005 - Page visits Free Counters

Patrick (Celtguy) Started the Brugmansia Forum and is now Moderator Emeritus

Locations of visitors to this page

Daily Map of Brugs and Such Forum Visitors