<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

End of the Season?

October 13 2010 at 4:00 PM

Patrick  (Login Celtguy)
Bird Lover

Well, I know it's been getting frosty in parts of N. America. I know Ruth Ann was planning on a cut-em-back work party last weekend, getting her brugs ready for winter storage. Has anyone else done the same? I'm thinking about it, but hopefully I'll have a few more weeks before temps dip to freezing - we're starting to get forecasts of low 40's overnight, but I don't think we've been below about 45 or 46....mostly upper 40's.

Today is beautifully sunny. I have some Round-Up spraying to do, then I'll work with my Cupheas. This is the first year I've grown them (hummers really love them) and I understand they dump their leaves when the temps get into the low 40's. I'll rescue at least part of them to hold over Winter & take cuttings next spring. Oh heck, I'll probably save some cuttings when I cut the big plants back before bringing them indoors. I'll put the largest in the garage and a couple of smaller ones and/or cuttings in the house.

Patrick
USDA Zone 8b
Heat Zone 3
Sunset Zone 5
SeaTac, WA...one cool place
[linked image]

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Ruth Ann
(Login Tiedjens)
Brug IT Manager

Re: End of the Season?

October 13 2010, 5:51 PM 

Yes, I had my open house last w/e Patrick. The weather was perfect at 70 and sunny, the chatting, trading of cuttings and finding homes for all my mature plants but one, then the guests helping dig the smaller plants I was keeping to bring it, all made for a perfect day. Today I woke up to frost so my timing couldn't have been better.

Canada 5b
Forum editing tech

Patrick
(Login Celtguy)
Bird Lover

October 13 2010, 8:26 PM 

Most excellent, RA...good sense of timing!

Patrick
USDA Zone 8b
Heat Zone 3
Sunset Zone 5
[linked image]

Carrie
(Login carrie751)
Brug Assistant Moderator

October 14 2010, 10:48 AM 

I have had near picture perfect weather for several weeks now, but I am certain MN has something up her sleeve as we are due to go to the 70/50 for a few days next week. I usually have my brug cutting near the middle of November, and I really hope "she" allows me the option of waiting until then this year. It has been such a bad brug year for me that I will be almost glad to regroup and start over. However, I am getting some pretty decent flushes now. Some of my older container plants are going to be cut back severely this year.............both for space to store them, and because they need reshaping.

USDA Zone 7/8
Copper Canyon
North Central Texas
[linked image]

Selma McNamara
(no login)

October 14 2010, 4:23 PM 

Thanks for the topic, Patrick, I was just about to email and see when you were going to bring your brugs in. My Equador Pink has two buds on her, and I really would like to see her bloom before bringing her in. [linked image]

Selma
(Login ispydox)
Brugmansia lover

End of the season?

October 14 2010, 7:19 PM 

Hi Patrick, I was just going to send you an email about when you were bringing your brugs in for the season. I have two buds on my Ecudor pink, and I would like to see them bloom before going into the basement! [linked image]

[linked image]

Allison
(Login YardCreeper)
Brugmansia lover

October 17 2010, 1:09 PM 

Had our kill frost last night. I had moved most of the brugs up to the house but 2 that I plan to cut back and repot got nipped a little. I hope to get seed from Yevvone's Salvia.

Allison
Sunset 5
USDA 8
Heat 2/3

Arlington.gif

Patrick
(Login Celtguy)
Bird Lover

October 17 2010, 6:38 PM 

Yvonne's Salvia seems to seed prolifically - and the seeds don't fall out the moment they're ripe. If you have calyxes that have turned tan/brown, you should see black seeds inside. Once they're black, they're ready to harvest. Sometimes I hand-pick the ripe seeds and leave the rest a little longer. Other times, when the majority of the seeds are ripe, I'll cut whole flower spikes and lay them on a tray, then take it indoors to get the seeds. I have a colander that has holes big enough for the seeds to drop thru, leaving calyxes behind.

Patrick
USDA Zone 8b
Heat Zone 3
Sunset Zone 5
[linked image]

Allison
(Login YardCreeper)
Brugmansia lover

October 17 2010, 7:37 PM 

I didn't get any to go that far. All I'm finding are soft white seed.

Allison
Sunset 5
USDA 8
Heat 2/3

Arlington.gif

Patrick
(Login Celtguy)
Bird Lover

October 17 2010, 11:36 PM 

You may have started them too late in the season....but then, it was such a crappy gardening year, they could easily have just sat there doing next to nothing! I didn't plant any this year...had a couple of volunteers that came up late & have been blooming only a short while. If you need seeds for next year, I probably have enough harvested last year that I can share.

Patrick
USDA Zone 8b
Heat Zone 3
Sunset Zone 5
[linked image]

Carrie
(Login carrie751)
Brug Assistant Moderator

October 19 2010, 9:15 AM 

At least you guys can grow them, it gets too hot for them here.

USDA Zone 7/8
Copper Canyon
North Central Texas
[linked image]

Selma McNamara
(Login ispydox)
Brugmansia lover

October 23 2010, 12:03 AM 

Well, it really is end of season for me. My Ecuador Pink had a bud-bloom slowly opening, and this am it got knocked off. [linked image] So I now have only two brugs out, that need to get moved into the basement. I just have to trim them to fit, and repot the NOID pink I have. And wait until next year for my next smell of brug! [linked image]

[linked image]

Patrick
(Login Celtguy)
Bird Lover

October 23 2010, 2:38 AM 

Selma, I'm in a quandry...so many of my brugs are starting to open flushes. I want to leave them out and see them bloom, in many cases for the 1rst time this year. But I have too many to risk having to strip all their leaves and get them into the garage on short notice. I'm beginning to gamble with time. I suppose I will placate myself a little by clearing out the garage in preparation for so serious brug moving. I've already been tidying up behind the garage, to make the rear entry door easy to approach with the plants.

Even tho the temp is cool outside right now, I just came home and was greeted by the fragrance of my tall 'Harlot' which stands near my front door and by my bedroom window. It is loaded with buds and they're opening pretty fast. The color is pale, but it's still impressive to see the clusters of buds/blooms & catch that great fragrance.

Patrick
USDA Zone 8b
Heat Zone 3
Sunset Zone 5
[linked image]

Ruth Ann
(Login Tiedjens)
Brug IT Manager

October 23 2010, 12:27 PM 

Oh what a quandary you face. I will wish you warmer temps so that you at least get to see one bloom from your 'first timers'.

Allison
(Login YardCreeper)
Brugmansia lover

October 23 2010, 4:55 PM 

I have a yellow noid that the frost took all the leaves and now is in full bloom. It looks weird being all twigs with these yellow blosoms hanging there. I have put my Day Dreams under the eave next to the house with a sheet of plasic hung in front of it to get it to finsh blooming.

Allison
Sunset 5
USDA 8
Heat 2/3

Arlington.gif

Patrick
(Login Celtguy)
Bird Lover

October 23 2010, 6:35 PM 

Thanks, RA! We have a major fall storm on it's way in...had fronts bring in rain on Thur. & Fri. night...now the BIG one is coming in with wind & lots rain thru tomorrow. That'll probably beat up the blooms a lot...but it holds off the frosty temps. Of those trying to bloom for the first time this year, nearly all are plants that bloomed last year...very few are first-bloom seedlings.

Allison, a few years ago I had an in-ground Charles Grimaldi with 4 trunks about 7' tall. It put on a flush in late Oct, when I was prepping the brugs to go indoors. I cut off almost every leaf, then quite a few buds opened....it make quite a Halloween display with all those orange flowers at the ends of the "poles".

I just went out and wrapped sheets of light weight painter's plastic around the tunks & pots of the 2 brugs I brought home from my sister's house on Thursday. Their leaves are already stripped and the trunks cut back, so there's no natural canopy to help keep the soil from getting saturated. I think the plastic (with a few well-placed clothes pins) will serve the purpose well. Those pots weighed in the neighborhood of 100# on Thursday & the soil was not very wet...I sure don't need to up that figure! However, I think I'll be able to spare my back a little now...should be able to move the pots into the garage with my hand truck.

Patrick
USDA Zone 8b
Heat Zone 3
Sunset Zone 5
[linked image]

This message has been edited by Celtguy on Oct 23, 2010 7:00 PM

Selma McNamara
(Login ispydox)
Brugmansia lover

October 24 2010, 1:13 AM 

Hey Patrick, or whoever else wants to answer, do you routinely strip off the leaves of the brugs when you bring them in for the winter?? I know they aren't getting any sunshine where they need the leaves for photosynthesis, but I guess I like looking at the leaves when I go down to the basement, and I do leave lights on for them during the day. Should I cut the leaves off? Thanks. [linked image]

[linked image]

Carrie
(Login carrie751)
Brug Assistant Moderator

October 24 2010, 10:05 AM 

You guys are reminding me that it is nearing brug cutting time at my house.........middle of next month. I like to look at the blooms as long as possible, and this year there were so few until now. Allison, I have thrown a sheet (king size, of course) over Dr. Seuss when we are due a light freeze or frost and he just keeps on blooming until I am ready to cut him to the ground. He has five large trunks this year and is ready to pop with many blooms......he is my faithful one that blooms no matter how hot it gets. Patrick, I join Ruth Ann in wishing you warmer days for several weeks so you can enjoy your blooms. We had some pretty severe weather yesterday, but I was spared again ...........just a lot of much needed rain.

USDA Zone 7/8
Copper Canyon
North Central Texas
[linked image]

Patrick
(Login Celtguy)
Bird Lover

October 24 2010, 11:45 AM 

Well Carrie, we're getting a lot of rain in the PNW just now - our first big storm of the Fall-Winter season. We had small fronts come thru on Thur. & Fri. nights...now we have the BIG one. I think I heard we're in for about 48 hours of this. It's quite dark outside & rains heavily at times. It has been windy along the coast and of course, it's snowing in the higher mountains.

So much for some nice sunny weather to enjoy the brugs...I don't s'pose the blooms will look like much when this stormy weather.

Patrick
USDA Zone 8b
Heat Zone 3
Sunset Zone 5
[linked image]

Carrie
(Login carrie751)
Brug Assistant Moderator

October 25 2010, 9:30 AM 

It seems as if there is one thing for certain about MN ............. uncertainty !!! Everything looks really perky here this morning, and the sun is shining. I may even get by with having to mow only one more time. I hope you did not get damage with the storms, Patrick.

USDA Zone 7/8
Copper Canyon
North Central Texas
[linked image]

< Previous Page 1 2 3 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
TinyPic image hosting site

TinyPic is a free picture hosting site and is not associated with this forum.

To use:Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload Now; Copy the Direct Link for Layouts; Paste that code in your message.

Free online spelling checker

Search:   for    

Enter a long URL to make tiny:

PLEASE VISIT OUR OTHER SITES:

Feathered Friends Helpful Tips The Bug Forum The Butterfly Forum The Hummingbird Forum

Est. Oct. 6, 2005 - Page visits Free Counters

Patrick (Celtguy) Started the Brugmansia Forum and is now Moderator Emeritus

Locations of visitors to this page

Daily Map of Brugs and Such Forum Visitors