<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Carrie
(Login carrie751)
Brug Assistant Moderator

Re: End of the Season?

November 14 2010, 10:08 AM 

Oh, yes, Patrick ......DEFINITELY a four letter word for me. I did, however, get all my inground brugs cut back yesterday, and all of the big container ones in storage. Had about 10 people over to take cuttings home with them. A great day with a group of dedicated gardeners. Now, when my greenhouse is completed today, I can get all my other plants put up this week. MN has been kind enough to extend my good weather at least through next Saturday........thanks MN !!!

USDA Zone 7/8
Copper Canyon
North Central Texas
[linked image]

Patrick
(Login Celtguy)
Bird Lover

November 16 2010, 9:23 PM 

My season has stretched out for an additional month, but we're expecting near-freezing temps by Sunday. Over the past few days, I've moved most of my brugs into the garage. We had quite a big wind storm yesterday...ripped my temporary "tarp tent" loose last night, but by then I had most of the brugs moved on into the garage. I moved the few that were left next to the house wall or laid them over on the ground...no major damage.

Patrick
USDA Zone 8b
Heat Zone 3
Sunset Zone 5
SeaTac, WA...one cool place
[linked image]

Selma McNamara
(Login ispydox)
Brugmansia lover

November 17 2010, 10:17 AM 

I have the day off, and so I am planning on moving the one lone brug inside. No major damage from the wind, but we did lose power at 8:45, so decided to go to bed! Got a nice rest. We live close enough to the "foothills" that we need to watch for snow this weekend!

[linked image]

Ruth Ann
(Login Tiedjens)
Brug IT Manager

November 17 2010, 7:19 PM 

You all don't know how glad I am to tell you all this is over and done with for me happy.gifhappy.gifhappy.gif

Canada 5b
Forum editing tech

Patrick
(Login Celtguy)
Bird Lover

November 18 2010, 12:35 AM 

RA, it's been really hard this year to whack on the brugs & put them away for the Winter. After a very poor perfomance year, I've had more brugs in bloom during the last 4 weeks than I had all the rest of the year. So it seems that I kept finding excuses to delay the project. I'm glad I finally did it however - between the wind storms and now the dropping temps, it's comforting to know they're safely put away. I reduced my collection in the process & I feel good about that, too. (The multiple jars of cuttings don't count, do they?!)

Patrick
USDA Zone 8b
Heat Zone 3
Sunset Zone 5
[linked image]

Carrie
(Login carrie751)
Brug Assistant Moderator

November 18 2010, 10:09 AM 

How strange...........I posted on this thread last night and do not find it here this morning.......I am so technically challenged. I congratulated you, Ruth Ann, on getting your brugs safely tucked away, but now I can add Patrick to that. I have all my brugs tucked away, but am still awaiting completion of my greenhouse to get smaller things in for the winter. I moved them all to a short distance from the greenhouse yesterday so it won't take long to get them inside once it is completed. We had very strong winds from the southwest yesterday that turned around to the north, so I woke up to a chilly morning.
And since Patrick did not put up the barbed wire this year, the cold that is upon him now will be heading my way for Thanksgiving........thanks, Patrick, ever so much.

USDA Zone 7/8
Copper Canyon
North Central Texas
[linked image]

Patrick
(Login Celtguy)
Bird Lover

November 18 2010, 12:01 PM 

Oh, but Carrie! Thanksgiving is a better holiday to experience when the air is nippy! And it does great things to your appetite....mmmmmm!

Do you want the 24-25 degrees we're expecting on Monday? I could try a new little dance that might expedite those temps to you. heheheheh

Patrick
USDA Zone 8b
Heat Zone 3
Sunset Zone 5
[linked image]

This message has been edited by Celtguy on Nov 18, 2010 12:04 PM

Carrie
(Login carrie751)
Brug Assistant Moderator

November 18 2010, 1:04 PM 

Oh, yes, Patrick ...........that would work for me.......you know how much I enjoy any temps below 65 degrees.

USDA Zone 7/8
Copper Canyon
North Central Texas
[linked image]

Selma McNamara
(Login ispydox)
Brugmansia lover

November 18 2010, 5:02 PM 

Oh, yes, Carrie, we have a friend in Texas, who came up here once in Sept, and was wearing long underwear and down jackets from her hostess! And it was 60-65! She made some comment about frigid weather, and someone mentioned that when it got a bit over 65 we put shorts on! And his were in the car!!

[linked image]

Carrie
(Login carrie751)
Brug Assistant Moderator

November 18 2010, 6:14 PM 

I suppose I will have to respond to this, Selma, with a quote from Desi Arnaz, "to itch his own"...LOL>

USDA Zone 7/8
Copper Canyon
North Central Texas
[linked image]

Patrick
(Login Celtguy)
Bird Lover

November 21 2010, 10:27 AM 

The last of the plant rescues (geraniums, cupheas, etc.) came in about 8 p.m. last night at 36 degrees F. This morning it's 33...tomorrow morning should be mid-20's!

Selma, do you have snow yet?

Patrick
USDA Zone 8b
Heat Zone 3
Sunset Zone 5
[linked image]

This message has been edited by Celtguy on Nov 21, 2010 10:28 AM

Ruth Ann
(Login Tiedjens)
Brug IT Manager

November 21 2010, 5:32 PM 

Perfect timing for you Patrick!
I can honestly say we have only had one frost thus far but cool enough temps otherwise to make any Versi Brug unhappy were it outdoors.

Canada 5b
Forum editing tech

Selma McNamara
(Login ispydox)
Brugmansia lover

November 21 2010, 6:36 PM 

Hi Patrick, well, the back yard was green, and yet the neighbor houses had white roofs. So I looked outside, and there was a skiff of snow on the grass, trees, and cars. We are up on a hill, but it was even lightly snowing at the Evergreen Fairgrounds through noon, but not sticking. Still some snow on the trees up at the house. 4 PM. Glad the brugs are safely inside. S

[linked image]

Patrick
(Login Celtguy)
Bird Lover

November 22 2010, 2:05 PM 

It was 28F. when I got up this morning & there was just a skiff of snow. Now it's 30 & snowing like crazy! Looks like at least 2" have accumulated in the last couple of hours. I had a feeling that an Arctic cold front coming during a full moon might get interesting. I have a little heat going in the garage & the brugs are snug & reasonably happy...several blooms are offering a light fragrance.

Now, how did it happen that my resolve weakened & I have 30 jars of cuttings in the house?!!

Patrick
USDA Zone 8b
Heat Zone 3
Sunset Zone 5
[linked image]

Patrick
(Login Celtguy)
Bird Lover

November 23 2010, 10:45 AM 

Well, this morning is is 19F. with a wind chill of 4F. Someone please suggest to MN than this is NOT Fairbanks, Thief River Falls nor Buffalo!!! Whoever "lost" this weather, please reclaim it at once!

And yes, if the growing season hadn't ended before now...it is certainly "ended" now.

Patrick
USDA Zone 8b
Heat Zone 3
Sunset Zone 5
[linked image]

This message has been edited by Celtguy on Nov 23, 2010 10:47 AM

Carrie
(Login carrie751)
Brug Assistant Moderator

November 27 2010, 3:20 PM 

My season DEFINITELY ended today with the cutting down of Dr. Seuss (a sad time for me). He had four rather large trunks that I left intact for someone, and in trimming those, I got quite a few small cuttings for those who do not have the room for a trunk cutting. I just have to remind myself that in a few short months, it will be Spring again and I can watch him spring back into life.

USDA Zone 7/8
Copper Canyon
North Central Texas
[linked image]

< Previous Page 1 2 3 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
TinyPic image hosting site

TinyPic is a free picture hosting site and is not associated with this forum.

To use:Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload Now; Copy the Direct Link for Layouts; Paste that code in your message.

Free online spelling checker

Search:   for    

Enter a long URL to make tiny:

PLEASE VISIT OUR OTHER SITES:

Feathered Friends Helpful Tips The Bug Forum The Butterfly Forum The Hummingbird Forum

Est. Oct. 6, 2005 - Page visits Free Counters

Patrick (Celtguy) Started the Brugmansia Forum and is now Moderator Emeritus

Locations of visitors to this page

Daily Map of Brugs and Such Forum Visitors