<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

YAAAARGH, bugs

February 7 2011 at 2:10 AM
Selma  (Login ispydox)
Brugmansia lover

Help, I have small bugs on my hibernating brugs! Spider mites? I didn't notice them last week, but this week they have multiplied copiously! The brugs are in the basement, my dogs also have a corner of the basement, and can go in and out. What can I do to preserve my plants that won't be toxic to the dogs? It seems that about this time each year, I get these bugs, and it is always a race to see if the plant will die before spring and I can put them out. I would like to keep these plants alive! Thanks![linked image]

[linked image]

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Carrie
(Login carrie751)
Brug Assistant Moderator

Re: YAAAARGH, bugs

February 15 2011, 11:11 AM 

Yeah, Selma, there seems to ALWAYS be something to attack the brugs in the winter. I have "something" that is eating a patterened effect in the leaves. One would think it was the little green worms that do this sometimes during the summer months, but alas, I have been unable to find anything. I have decided to just leave mine as I don't wish to put a chemical in my plant room as I have little tree frogs that live in there over the winter, and hopefully, they will begin to eat whatever is on my brugs. Hopefully, your problem won't be a big one for you, and they will just leaf out and then start blooming once we get the weather for it. It has been gorgeous here for the past few days, and it looks as if for the next week. I really need it after the COLD winter we have had.

USDA Zone 7/8
Copper Canyon
North Central Texas
[linked image]

Dan
(Login rudy625)
Brugmansia lover

holes in leaves

February 18 2011, 1:31 PM 

Carrie,I don't post much,but I do read the posts. Seems like we have the same problem.I have some seedlings growing under lights in my basement,they are very healthy and growing well.About 3 weeks ago I noticed that there were as you described "patterned holes" in some of the leaves that look exactly like what those little green caterpillars do to the leaves in the summer outside. I do not have a insect problem down there as I use a number of organic deterrents,and there are no aphids,spidermites or fungus gnats ect.I have inspected the leaves under a scope,and there are no worms or any type of critters on the plants that I can see.Never seen anything like this in the 15 or so years that I have been growing brugs.If you or anyone else has ever had a similar experiance,or have any idea what causes this,please share.Thanks,Dan in Pa.[linked image]

Carrie
(Login carrie751)
Brug Assistant Moderator

February 19 2011, 9:02 AM 

Well, I will be awaiting an answer to this one, Dan. Thanks for posting and letting me know I am not alone.

USDA Zone 7/8
Copper Canyon
North Central Texas
[linked image]

YAAAARGH, bugs
(Login TonyOc)
Brugmansia lover

February 19 2011, 9:38 PM 

Snails or sluggs... I had the same thing happening to some of my rooted cuttings. I went out in the greenhouse around midnight to check the fuel level in the heater. I happened to shine the flash light around checking on them. Looking closer I spotted a slug on a leaf. I killed it and went back in. The following day, I was moving the them to a better location and found 2 more hiding under the pots. Check around under anything where they could hide and you'll probably find your leaf eaters. Good luck.

Carrie
(Login carrie751)
Brug Assistant Moderator

February 20 2011, 8:40 AM 

Thanks, Tony, I am going to check this out.......

USDA Zone 7/8
Copper Canyon
North Central Texas
[linked image]

Carrie
(Login carrie751)
Brug Assistant Moderator

February 21 2011, 9:38 AM 

I haven't found any slugs as yet, but the "chewing" seems to be stopped. I leave my plant room door open during the day, and let the warm air circulate through it. I will continue to monitor, and let you know if I find the culprit.

USDA Zone 7/8
Copper Canyon
North Central Texas
[linked image]

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
TinyPic image hosting site

TinyPic is a free picture hosting site and is not associated with this forum.

To use:Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload Now; Copy the Direct Link for Layouts; Paste that code in your message.

Free online spelling checker

Search:   for    

Enter a long URL to make tiny:

PLEASE VISIT OUR OTHER SITES:

Feathered Friends Helpful Tips The Bug Forum The Butterfly Forum The Hummingbird Forum

Est. Oct. 6, 2005 - Page visits Free Counters

Patrick (Celtguy) Started the Brugmansia Forum and is now Moderator Emeritus

Locations of visitors to this page

Daily Map of Brugs and Such Forum Visitors