<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Brugs over the winter

March 4 2011 at 7:34 PM
  (Login YardCreeper)
Brugmansia lover

This winter I went and put up an enclosure just out side the kitchen window. I have a 4' overhang there. I put up a post for one corner and a 4 x 4 at the bottom. Then covered with 2 layers of heavy plastic. When the temps got low I opened the kitchen window and turned on a small fan. When the temps here got to the single didgets they did not freeze. Watering was easy too, just put the spray head out the window and all done. The only draw back is that the view out the front of the house was gone.

Allison
Sunset 5
USDA 8
Heat 2/3
Click for Arlington, Washington Forecast

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Dan
(Login rudy625)
Brugmansia lover

brugs over winter

March 4 2011, 8:25 PM 

Sounds interesting,could you post pictures of it ?

(Login carrie751)
Brug Assistant Moderator

Re: Brugs over the winter

March 5 2011, 9:40 AM 

View gone???? Not really, Allison, as you had a great view of your brugs.......!!! Brugs are tougher than we give them credit for. I had five days of sustained freezing temps this year, and was concerned that my inground brugs would not return as this was the longest period of freezing temps since they were put in the ground. BUT ............. in checking on them this week, I see two are already sprouting, and I have high hopes for the remainder of them. Way to go, BRUGS !!!!!

USDA Zone 7/8
Copper Canyon
North Central Texas
[linked image]

(Login ForestChild)
Brugmansia lover

April 13 2011, 9:15 PM 

They are tough! ALthough I'm in zone 9, I get a few frosts and very light freeze a year,
and even without mulching, they come right back. Mine are now between 4 ft. and 6 ft. tall.
One is even ready to bloom. I'll post a photo when she does.
(BTW, I am an old member that
has not been here in a long while. I couldn't get logged in under my original name no matter
what I tried, so I just started over. Old user name was 'Pondlily')
I agree, you have a lovely view of the brugs! It will be spring very soon, and you'll be
so busy with the garden happy.gif

(Login carrie751)
Brug Assistant Moderator

April 15 2011, 8:36 AM 

Hey, glad to see you posting again. Mine that are inground are coming along nicely as well, and we had the coldest winter we have had in years (over a hundred hours of below freezing temps). That is almost unheard of for us. Not only my brugs survived it, but so did my perennials. Spring here in North Texas has been wonderful .........now we are have the usual storms that accompany our Spring.

USDA Zone 7/8
Copper Canyon
North Central Texas
[linked image]

(Login ForestChild)
Brugmansia lover

April 15 2011, 1:58 PM 

Whatever doesn't kill 'em makes them stronger happy.gif

Current Topic - Brugs over the winter  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Upload picture, Copy the Shareable code, Paste it in your message.

Free online spelling checker

Search:   for    

Enter a long URL to make tiny:

PLEASE VISIT OUR OTHER SITES:

Feathered Friends Helpful Tips The Bug Forum The Butterfly Forum The Hummingbird Forum

Est. Oct. 6, 2005 - Page visits Free Counters

Patrick (Celtguy) Started the Brugmansia Forum and is now Moderator Emeritus

Locations of visitors to this page

Daily Map of Brugs and Such Forum Visitors