<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return  

finally got cats on the dill

June 19 2006 at 12:07 PM
  (Login moonwolf23)

Unfortunately, the dill is now leaning over from the cable guy stepping on it. I have it leaning on the rose and crossing my fingers it will be enough food for 4 cats.

I think it's a swallowtail and it may be a black swallowtail. It's not the green and gold it's I think black and gold.

I'll post a link when I have the pics uploaded onto yahoo. Feel free to use these here if you want.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login PucPuggy)
Butterfly Moderator 2005

Re: finally got cats on the dill

June 19 2006, 7:21 PM 

That's great!
If it's on dill, it's gotta be a black swallowtail - it's probably just in an earlier instar before it gets the beautiful green coloring.
Sherry

(Login moonwolf23)

June 19 2006, 8:36 PM 

Well I took a look at my bronze fennel(same bed) and yup 4 on that one too. It's easier to see the dill from the window, so I didn't think about looking at the fennel till today.

(Login moonwolf23)

June 26 2006, 11:03 AM 

Well they toddled(rolled, dont' know the proper word for this) to eclose. I have no idea where they are. I figured they were doing that when I saw two of em on my window screens, but apparently they didn't fancy my windows. They completely demolished the dill and the bronze fennel is well half of what it usually is. They didn't even leave me a few measly seeds on the dill, hungry buggers.

Hopefully I'll see them flitting around again as the salvia(and I saw one of them buggers actually start gnawing on that too) is blooming, as is the hyacinth bean vine and of course I've got plenty of lantanna and the penta is blooming too.

Nothing seems to be eating the snapdragons or the plumbagos(which seeing as what happened to the dill that probably is a good thing).

btw ms sherry, when you sow milkweed in mississippi, when do you do that. None of my milkweed seeds that sherry in ca so generously sent me came up.

what did I do wrong?

(Login moonwolf23)

link to yahoo

July 10 2006, 1:22 PM 

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/moonwolf23/album?.dir=5a17

The last three are pics of the cats on the dill. I never did get around to taking pics of when they changed color to a gold and green color. They ran off and eclosed somewhere. I think they hatched because I think I saw one that was mostly black with a little gold fluttering by to take a drink or try to take a drink out of the salvia.

Of the last 3 the first one is the best and if you want a clearer pic and have room in your email I can email you the full size of the pic.

(Login PucPuggy)
Butterfly Moderator 2005

July 10 2006, 8:54 PM 

Since CalSherry sent them to you, I'm sure they are/were asclepias curassavica or tropical MW. I have trouble getting mine to come up when I plant them in little containers, but they come up readily and thrive when I just scatter them across the ground where I want them to grow - you can transplant seedlings to other places if you want. I think when I plant them in containers I must water them too much, and they get the rot.
Congrats on the BST cats reaching pupation!
Sherry

(Login moonwolf23)

July 10 2006, 9:19 PM 

I made a typo booboo. I meant to say that they never came up. None of the mw seeds I planted ever came up. I bought a packet at target too. For some reason this year I had a hard time with seeds.

None of the hollyhocks came up or the malva's.

(Login moonwolf23)

bronze fennel

July 17 2006, 7:18 PM 

I was taking a look at the bronze fennel today and saw a whole bunch of baby cats. I'm hoping the fennel can take this onslaught. It was just getting ready to flower again.(which is when oddly they decide to lay eggs) I saw a black butterfly fluttering around it a week ago, so I'm thinking it's going to be another batch of swallowtails.

I took some pics but I don't have a macro lens, so I'm not sure how good they will be. I'll try to take some more in the morning.

I think I counted about 20 baby cats.

Current Topic - finally got cats on the dill  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return  
TinyPic image hosting site

TinyPic is a free picture hosting site and is not associated with this forum.

To use:Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload Now; Copy the Direct Link for Layouts; Paste that code in your message.
Feathered Friends Helpful Tips The Hummingbird Forum The Butterfly Forum Brugmansias and More