<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return  

Black Witch Moth

October 29 2011 at 11:55 AM
  (Login WardDa)
Butterfly Lover

Ok, it is not a butterfly but close. Yesterday at Cape May Point here in NJ we found a Black Witch Moth. I think their nearest breeding area is in the Lower Rio Grande Valley in Texas. You just don't know what will show.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Premier Login bob2aa)
Forum Owner

Hi Ward

October 29 2011, 3:41 PM 

Wow! That's a very big moth,with a 6 inch wingspan! I've never seen one:

http://fireflyforest.net/firefly/2007/08/15/black-witch-moth/

Cheers,Bob

KLEX - USA
Click for Lexington, Kentucky Forecast

(Login Carobuzz)
Butterfly Lover

Re: Black Witch Moth

November 4 2011, 3:59 PM 

Holy Smoke Ward, that's Cool!!! It's like the RIng Wraith of the butterfly word! Heh!

I envy you. I would so love to live down in Cape May!

Caro
SE PA, Zone 6b
Sinking_Spring.gif

(Login Gladesman)
Birder 2011

Re: Black Witch Moth

December 15 2011, 4:41 PM 

Black Witch moths are common down here in southern Florida and, if you leave your doors open at night, which I normally do, they fly into your house. That's a real eye opener to spook one in the kitchen when you turn the lights on to make coffee. I've only found larvae once, and they were feeding on the leaves of a Golden Shower Tree (Cassia fistula). The larvae are nocturnal too, hiding during the day.

(Login TexasPuddyPrint)
Butterfly Moderator 2005

Witches and Warlocks

April 12 2012, 8:12 PM 

We get quite a lot of Black Witch moths out here in south Texas. Considering their abundance at times I have yet to find any caterpillars. The eaves of the ranch house are painted dark brown and at times I can walk around the house and count a dozen or more Black Witch moths snoozing during the day.

We like to joke and call the Black Witch moth males " Warlocks" happy.gif

I put out butterfly brew during the day for the fruit feasters (butterflies of the brushfoot family) and the BW moth is usually a frequent night time visitor to the tray.

~ Cat (Edinburg, TX - Lower Rio Grande Valley) [linked image]

Current Topic - Black Witch Moth  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return  
TinyPic image hosting site

TinyPic is a free picture hosting site and is not associated with this forum.

To use:Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload Now; Copy the Direct Link for Layouts; Paste that code in your message.
Feathered Friends Helpful Tips The Hummingbird Forum The Butterfly Forum Brugmansias and More