<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return  

Giant Swallowtails endangered because fo Citrus Greening Disease?

May 19 2012 at 1:35 PM
  (Login beckygardener)
Brugmansia lover

Does anyone know how bad this has spread here in Florida?

http://mgonline.com/articles/citrus_greening_disease.aspx

I have two wild lime bushes and another citrus bush of some kind (not sure what it is). If any of those plants can be infected, I am wondering if the beautiful Giant Swallowtails could become extinct because of the citrus diseases? Is there another non-citrus plant that GST use? Do they use Rue as a host plant?

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login tdogmom)
Butterfly Moderator 2005

GST use other host plants, too!

May 19 2012, 10:35 PM 

Yes, Giant Swallowtails DO use other host plants in addition to the citrus plants that you speak of! Although I have several citrus trees in my yard, I have found that the GSTs like my Rue plants better! happy.gif There are a number of plants in the 'citrus' family that can be hosts to these beauties. So, don't worry. I mean, yes, DO worry about this horrid situation but the butterflies can utilize other plants, too.

(Login KCClark)
Butterfly Lover

Re: Giant Swallowtails endangered because fo Citrus Greening Disease?

May 23 2012, 5:15 PM 

I see that it is spread by 2 different insects and has recently been found in CA.

Looks like the USDA has setup this website to spread info:
http://www.saveourcitrus.org/

(Login beckygardener)
Brugmansia lover

May 30 2012, 10:16 PM 

Thanks for the idea to use Rue.

And thanks for that USDA website link. I hope they are able to stop this terrible citrus disease. I love to eat oranges!

~Becky~

Find more about Weather in Sebastian, FL
Click for weather forecast

(Login PucPuggy)
Butterfly Moderator 2005

June 3 2012, 11:00 AM 

I sure hope something is done about the problem, too! I've got a big orange tree in the back corner of my garden and a smaller satsuma that I planted last year. Giants have been scarce this year, but I finally got some eggs, which have just now started hatching. I'm raising them on rue and wafer ash/hops tree/Ptelea trifoliata, another member of the citrus family that they love.

Sherry
Zone8/9
[linked image]

Becky
(Login beckygardener)
Brugmansia lover

June 4 2012, 8:36 AM 

Heard from the wife of a man whose job is a citrus broker and he said that this disease is a major concern for the citrus industry here in Florida. I guess I need to get some seeds for Rue and try growing those. I have wild lime and another non-fruit bearing citrus plant, but have never seen the Giant Swallowtails using either as a host plant.

(Login PucPuggy)
Butterfly Moderator 2005

June 17 2012, 11:07 PM 

I'm now rearing more giant swallowtail caterpillars than I can count, including two big ones that look like they're about to pupate. The Mama - assuming there's just one - has laid her eggs a few at the time over a long period. I saw her laying one today on some rue in my front yard, but she's used my Ptelea trifoliata/hops tree, rue, orange tree, and satsuma tree. I have a lot of rue, so I'm transferring most of the cats to the rue.

They're fun caterpillars to raise!

Sherry
Zone8/9
[linked image]

(Login beckygardener)
Brugmansia lover

June 18 2012, 12:29 AM 

Sherry - That is awesome! Do take some photos if you can and post them. I'd love to see your caterpillars!

~Becky~

(Login PucPuggy)
Butterfly Moderator 2005

June 18 2012, 10:49 AM 

Okay, Becky! Never ask a caterpillar person to show pictures of her babies, because you'll surely be sorry you asked!

Here's a picture I just took of two of the little giant swallowtail caterpillars -

[linked image]

And here's a picture I took the other day of a mid-instar cat -

[linked image]

And here's a picture of a late instar caterpillar, probably about to pupate. Have you seen pictures of organ grinder monkeys with what looks like a chauffeur's cap on? That's what giant swallowtail cats look like to me -

[linked image]

Sherry
Zone8/9
[linked image]

(Login beckygardener)
Brugmansia lover

June 19 2012, 12:16 AM 

Sherry - Thank you so much for posting those photos! You got some great shots of the Giant Swallowtail butterfly caterpillars!

I raised a few 2 years ago, but I don't usually find cats in my yard. I don't know if the wasps get them before I find them or the butterflies just aren't laying eggs on any of my plants. I need to get a Rue plant for sure! I love those huge butterflies! I wonder if they are the largest North American butterfly?

~Becky~

(Login PucPuggy)
Butterfly Moderator 2005

June 19 2012, 12:34 AM 

My books say that giant swallowtails and tiger swallowtails are of equal size, but I think that palamedes swallowtails are also as big as the other two. I like the way giant swallowtails fly the best, sort of "wafty" if you know what I mean, a little bit like a monarch.

One of the biggest cats - probably the one in the picture - purged and is now pupating, my first of the year - YAY!

Sherry
Zone8/9
[linked image]

(Login beckygardener)
Brugmansia lover

June 19 2012, 11:56 PM 

Sherry - I don't believe I've ever seen a palamedes swallowtail in real life. Very rarely see a tiger swallowtail here. Mainly just the Giant Swallowtails because there are citrus groves less than half a mile from me. Nothing more fragrant than orange blossoms on a spring evening! Heavenly!!!

~Becky~

(Login PucPuggy)
Butterfly Moderator 2005

June 20 2012, 8:46 AM 

Becky, I have one big orange tree (and a small satsuma) and when the orange tree is in bloom, I like to go out to the garden just to smell it! I can't imagine being in an orchard of orange trees - heavenly, indeed!

Here's a palamedes swallowtail -

[linked image]

Sherry
Zone8/9
[linked image]

(Login beckygardener)
Brugmansia lover

June 22 2012, 8:26 PM 

Sherry - Thanks for posting the photo of the Palamedes Swallowtail! That is a really fine looking butterfly! Another one I'd love to attract to my yard! [linked image]

~Becky~

Ward
(Login WardDa)
Butterfly Lover

June 23 2012, 4:20 PM 

I remember discovering a Giant Swallowtail in my south Jersey garden in midsummer a few years. It had traveled a long long way to get here and showed it.

(Login beckygardener)
Brugmansia lover

June 24 2012, 11:34 AM 

Ward - No citrus trees in New Jersey? That's amazing that one managed to make it all that way north! It's very exciting when we see a butterfly that is rare in our area! Lucky you![linked image]

~Becky~

Current Topic - Giant Swallowtails endangered because fo Citrus Greening Disease?  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return  
TinyPic image hosting site

TinyPic is a free picture hosting site and is not associated with this forum.

To use:Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload Now; Copy the Direct Link for Layouts; Paste that code in your message.
Feathered Friends Helpful Tips The Hummingbird Forum The Butterfly Forum Brugmansias and More