<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return  

Chrysalis

July 5 2012 at 8:48 PM
  (Login quilter2dothan)
Butterfly Lover

Oh boy. I have a black swallowtail chrysalis I have brought in the house. Had watched the caterpillar just yesterday and found this today. Figured with a good sized garden spider web just a foot away, it probably had a better chance if moved. What size container will I need when the butterfly emerges. Saw on one site that it should emerge in 9-11 days....correct? Anything else I need to now? Think this should give my elderly mother something to catch her interest watching each day.
Dell

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login beckygardener)
Brugmansia lover

Re: Chrysalis

July 5 2012, 10:54 PM 

Hi Dell!

Any butterflies need a little room to stretch and pump their wings as well as fly around just a little to test and strengthen their wings. Being a Black Swallowtail, 9 - 11 days is about right, but ... I have several in a cage on my porch and they've been in their chrysalis for over 2 weeks now. It is cooler on my porch. I think when they are exposed to cooler temps (like indoors in A/C) they might take longer to emerge. Black Swallowtails can over-winter in their chrysalis for months. Survival of the species during cold weather, I suppose. I think your MIL will really enjoy this butterfly when it emerges!

~Becky~

Find more about Weather in Sebastian, FL
Click for weather forecast

(Login quilter2dothan)
Butterfly Lover

July 6 2012, 1:03 PM 

Thanks Becky. it's my owm mom who lives with us. She can no longer walk across the yard to see the garden up close, and is losing her vision. So this is a big blessing, I think. Will have to rig up more roomy accomodations for the butterfly for sure!
Dell

(Login beckygardener)
Brugmansia lover

July 6 2012, 1:59 PM 

Dell - I think Walmart or some of the other stores sell pop-up laundry nets like the one in this photo:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Butterfly-Cage-Pop-Up-16-5-x-16-5-x-30-LH30-/120523428254

They make a great cage! Or you can possibly purchase an actual butterfly cage like this one. I have 4 of these and love them. I soak them in the tub in water with a little bleach between uses. (Helps prevent diseases that pass around among the Monarchs.)

This is what the actual butterfly cages look like:

See the "Large Pop-Up Pavillion pops open to form a 2 Foot tall screened-in cylindrical enclosure with a 14 inch diameter." You can use these over and over again. You only need 1 cage to raise a few butterflies of the same species. You want one that is at least 2 foot tall to accommodate any tall plants. It gives the butterflies lots of run to fly around, too!
http://educationalscience.com/butterflynets.htm

Something else you could do for your mother ... raise some in these cages. Get some host plant seeds or plants and grow them in small pots that you can place right inside a cage. Let your mom watch them grow from a small egg, to a caterpillar, to a chrysalis, and then to a butterfly! People of all ages enjoy that! And then get her to the back door and let her release them outside the door!

(Login quilter2dothan)
Butterfly Lover

July 16 2012, 9:54 AM 

Thanks again for the ideas Becky. Got the pop up hamper and have made a window, covered in plastic, so she can better see.
Dell

(Login curlsihave)
Butterfly Lover

July 17 2012, 12:15 AM 

oh, I never thought of the pop up hamper!! I won't steal my husbands...I'll put it on my list of "things to get"

Linsey
MN
USDA hardiness zone 4b
Heat zone 5
Sunset zone 43
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Henderson-Hummingbird-Hurrah/119205821426493

(Login beckygardener)
Brugmansia lover

July 17 2012, 12:43 AM 

Dell - Wonderful! I know she will enjoy being able to watch the progress of the butterfly!

Now ... you know you can't just raise one caterpillar to butterfly! LOL!

~Becky~

Find more about Weather in Sebastian, FL
Click for weather forecast

Current Topic - Chrysalis  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return  
TinyPic image hosting site

TinyPic is a free picture hosting site and is not associated with this forum.

To use:Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload Now; Copy the Direct Link for Layouts; Paste that code in your message.
Feathered Friends Helpful Tips The Hummingbird Forum The Butterfly Forum Brugmansias and More