<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to index  

Birdbath placement

February 16 2012 at 8:27 PM
  (Login gaylams)
Bird Lover

I have my newest bird bath in the shade by some camellias. Now I'm reading that birds prefer a sunny location. Is that true?

Gayla
Jackson, Mississippi
Canon XSi Canon 70-300mm IS
Sigma 150 - 500mm OS
Zone 7b; Heat Zone 9 (Ugh)

[linked image]

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login NickNackHummer)
Bird Lover

Re: Birdbath placement

February 18 2012, 10:02 AM 

Gayla,

The only thing I've ever read says that bird baths need to be near a tree for the birds to retreat to. It shouldn't be out in the middle of the yard. I have several bird baths near or hanging in trees, and the birds seem to love them. A couple are in the shade and a couple are in the sun. It doesn't seem to make any difference to the birds.

Carol R
Tennessee
USDA Hardiness Zone 7
Heat Zone 7
[linked image]

[linked image]

(Login flowerpowereverett)
Feathered Friends Moderator 2005

February 19 2012, 12:54 AM 

I have 3 birdbaths now(somebody, please stop me!!![linked image] ) and one makeshift-waterfall feature... All are in partial shade under our 3 largest maple trees and all get used a lot. I don't keep any of mine in full sun because it causes algae to grow faster and also the water gets too hot in the summertime, however, everybody will have a different opinion on this...

Ruth
Everett, WA
Zone 8
[linked image]

(Login gaylams)
Bird Lover

February 19 2012, 10:54 AM 

Thanks for the responses. Has anyone had any luck using gravel or flat rocks to make the bird baths more attractive to our feathered friends?

Gayla
Jackson, Mississippi
Sigma 150 - 500mm OS

[linked image]

(Login CowboyinBRLA)
Bird Lover

February 19 2012, 3:09 PM 

Gayla,

I think that depends to some degree on the depth of the bath. Birds don't seem to have a problem with an artificial/flat surface, like a typical birdbath has - rocks aren't going to "fool" them into thinking it's natural - but if the bath is deep, having rocks that make parts of it shallower, and even ones in the center that stick up above for birds to drink without having to get wet, can be very useful.

Kevin Morgan
Baton Rouge, Louisiana

(Login gaylams)
Bird Lover

February 21 2012, 8:18 AM 

For some reason, I am interested in a stone birdbath. I have sort of carved one before which ended up involving a grinder, diamond drill bits, and a chisel. I used it in the bird creek, but the birds have rarely used it. I'm thinking of settting it up in the yard as a bird bath. It is about two feet across and I will need help moving it. Do you think the birds would like it?

[linked image]

Gayla
Jackson, Mississippi
Sigma 150 - 500mm OS

[linked image]

Current Topic - Birdbath placement  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to index  
TinyPic image hosting site

TinyPic is a free picture hosting site and is not associated with this forum.

To use:Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload Now; Copy the Direct Link for Layouts; Paste that code in your message.

PLEASE VISIT OUR OTHER SITES:

The Hummingbird Forum Helpful Tips The Bug Forum The Butterfly Forum The Brugmansia Forum