| Login/Logout | Timex Forum | Sales & Trades | Interesting Links | Contests | Manuals & Catalogs | FAQ's & Help | Off-Topic Section |
The Timex Watch Forum
 Return to Forum  

I am reading this thread with great interest...

February 23 2010 at 1:33 AM
No score for this post

from IP address 114.74.161.227

Response to Rinsing after cleaning

because I haven't got a clue as to how to give any of my watches a basic service, & the local jeweler charges around $90/watch, now that I have 50 or so mechanical watches, that will inevitably need a service at some time in the near future, perhaps I had better learn!

Firstly the cleaning fluids you are describing are called by different names here in Australia.
Lighter fluid is known as "Shellite" used to fill petrol lighters.
Methylated Spirits, is a mix of ethanol & methanol alcohol & maybe a bit of water, possibly called rubbing alcohol. It is also used in petrol camping stoves (Primus).Both are generally available at Hardware stores, here. I note the caution with Acetone & plastics.
Are these products suitable for soaking movements in? (Wind ups & Automatics)
I have been searching the thread archives for advise on basic servicing, there is lots of info and as I am such a novice I don't really know where to start.

Instead of starting a new thread, I will ask here!

Tools required? I am guessing..

Sonic vibrating jewelry cleaner?
Jewelers screw drivers (obviously)
Cleaning fluid?
Watch Oil & oiler (is this like a fine syringe?).
Hair dryer, (I have a small travel model somewhere).

The next thing is getting the movement out of the case, I can't seem to work out how to remove the winder shaft, I assume it is different for different types/models.
I don't want to disassemble the movements.

Is it necessary to remove the hands and dial when soaking the movement for cleaning?

I apologize in advance for being so ignorant. Perhaps some one could recommend a beginners book on the subject that I could purchase, suitable for Timex movements.
Regards to all.
Richard.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Responses

| Login/Logout | Timex Forum | Sales & Trades | Interesting Links | Contests | Manuals & Catalogs | FAQ's & Help | Off-Topic Section |

Timex Watch Forum stats counter
Web Site Hit Counter