| Login/Logout | Timex Forum | Sales & Trades | Interesting Links | Contests | Manuals & Catalogs | FAQ's & Help | Off-Topic Section |
The Timex Watch Forum
 Return to Forum  

A simple Water Resistant test...

August 2 2010 at 3:00 PM
No score for this post
Norm 
from IP address 195.241.134.217

Just a silly test as I was just wondering if it was true,
last time I asked here how to waterproof an old timex and now i just made the test..

I took a case from a TimeZone Electric No crystal glue on the crystal, just snapped the crystal in.
The crown and stem are original to this case no extra precaution taken.
The back of this electric says "Water resistant".
The tube for the stem doesn't have an extra seal.

First test:
I removed the backcover seal-ring.
Result: Water floats into the case instantly even if you would think that that firm "click" you hear
is tight enough it isn't. I was expecting the Crown and Stem to be the problem but its the caseback.

Second test:
With backcover seal-ring connected back on.
The watch is inside a bowl of water 5 cm deep. Its not leaking anywhere.
Then I shake the bowl watch moved around.. result no leaks.
Then I took the bowl and put it directly under a Firm waterflow from the tab directly onto the watch
the flowed and bounced to all sides in the bowl, result no leak.

When I pulled out the crown only a a tiny flow drippped inside the case but it
did not fill the whole inside of the case only half the bottom of the case-back.
Enough though to destroy the movement.

When the crown is pulled out (when a movement is connected) it is still waterproof, no leaks.

Result: the Water Resistant mark on this watch-case is confirmed.

This picture is taken at the second test, 2 tiny mm drips are still attached to the crystal inside
as i did not clean it 100% dry. For me this test proofs that when my electric has a backseal and
the right/orignal crystal and crown/stem its Tap-flow waterproof and even a dip inside the bath it will hold.
I think though that at 5 meters under the crown/stem will be the problem of a water leak but I can always
test this in the upcoming weeks wink.gif

[linked image]

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Responses

| Login/Logout | Timex Forum | Sales & Trades | Interesting Links | Contests | Manuals & Catalogs | FAQ's & Help | Off-Topic Section |

Timex Watch Forum stats counter
Web Site Hit Counter