| Login/Logout | Timex Forum | Sales & Trades | Interesting Links | Contests | Manuals & Catalogs | FAQ's & Help | Off-Topic Section |
The Timex Watch Forum
 Return to Forum  

Polishing Method

October 1 2010 at 6:08 PM
No score for this post
jerseymo 
from IP address 12.233.96.228

Response to How do you buff your cases?

I use very fine sandpaper I think is 200 grit... if there are normal type scratches. this is followed by 0000 steel wool. This is followed with Dremel that has a felt wheel charged with Crystal Bright ( this is a professional polish) purchased on ebay.

the key it to first rub the sand paper against the scratches. then the stell wool in a circular motion. the dremel I use both a back and forth stroke across the crystal then a circular motion.

cases are first cleanned in ammoina to remove the crud! sometime I do this to the crystal too. I then use a brass brush to get in between the lugs and other tight gaps. Last is to use the 0000 steel wool charged with polishing rouge. Or Even just good old Brasso! I nice rub with an old towel or cotton cloth to finished it all off.

I do at times use an steel wire brush on the dremel to polish the case back itself. These are a bit tricky because they have two patterns, one in the center and one on the outer rim. Just take s a little practice. When it comes out right they look great.

And when they don't..... I go find another case back...lol

i have always be interested in restoring things. My very first restore was an old brass lamp painted with silver metal paint. Turns out the base and center where green onxy...to this day the lamp sits in my living room. at bit tranished now. But hey I was 13 years old when I did this.....I am now 53! will take a photo and post

Viscount JerseyMo of Timexicana!

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Responses

| Login/Logout | Timex Forum | Sales & Trades | Interesting Links | Contests | Manuals & Catalogs | FAQ's & Help | Off-Topic Section |

Timex Watch Forum stats counter
Web Site Hit Counter